First time on Carnival, questions on the departure

alba216

My family and I will be sailing out of San Juan on the Victory on the Southern Caribbean itinerary Sept 20, 2008. The ship is scheduled to leave at 10PM. Last year with RCCL when departing at 5PM we first pulled up to the ship at 1pm unloaded our luggage and than waited for about 90 minutes to get onto the ship.

SO my question is, if the ship leaves at 10PM, should I get to the ship as early as possible, drop off my luggage, than leave and hang out in San Juan, check out some sites, than finally coming back to the boat around 8-9PM? Is this possible at Carnival? I know next time we cruise RCCL we are going to do this. Thanks

How early you can board is probably dependent on what time the ship arrives and debarks her passengers. But from what I've read, once you board, you can leave and go sightseeing, shop, eat, etc. and return to the ship before she sails just like you would at any other port.

We just got back from the Victroy San Juan Route, and based on our experience it would be wise to get to the terminal as early as 11:00 if you can. Lines get real long by 12:30-4:30, as the locals board then. Drop off your bags with a porter $2 each, then check in. Once you're checked in you may not be able to board right away, but you can leave and explore Old San Juan, it's right there. Walk or take the free trolleys. Have a great time, explore!! You can make it back to the ship by dinner time, 6:00, it's open seating the first night. Your luggage will be waiting for you, then unpack and explore the ship before muster drill.

Archived