Night Excursions in San Juan

cruizingsouth

The night you are here, the moon is very good for the BioBay.

This is an area (it is about 1.25 hrs away from the ship), where you kayak out into a dark lagoon and the little organisms in the water glow when agitated.

You can contact Kayaking Puerto Rico (they have transportation available) from the cruise dock to the bay. There are a number of other companies that kayak out into the bay but I don't know about transportation. Or you can rent a car, but that extra time spent renting the car may take too long and you may miss the first trip that goes out.

Here is my review of the trip and contact info.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bio-bay-in-fajardo-by-kayak-or-boat-a-glowing-experience/

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/laguna-grande-fajardo-bio-bay/

I have not done the night horseback riding. It is done at Hacienda Carabali in Luquillo. I assume they give you headlamps, since the property is dark!

Might be neat to hear the sounds of the forest at night.

The kayaking BioBay will take almost the whole time- leave right away, get to Fajardo and the first tour starts about 6:30p, it takes about 2 hrs, drive back... You will be back about 10p. There are restaurants right in the Crobas area (where you kayak out of), so you can grab a quick meal.

I used a company called Akuadventures Kayak. I like them because they have glass bottom kayaks so you see the glowing moving under the boat as you pass over. and you also get to see the fish glowing as they swim under the boat. One person actualy had a fish jump into their boat. OH THE SCREAMING!!! lol Good times. Their number is 787-685-9522. I remember they asked us if we needed transportation and we didn't because we rented a car.

My husband and I did the biobay kayaking in Feb. 2008. It was very cool and I was glad we did it but at first I was thinking "what'd I get myself into". If your kids are adventourous and athletic they will enjoy it but it was a little scarey kayaking in complete darkness at times.

This is one tour I would recommend booking thru the cruiselines because it is a far drive from the port and we got back late. If we hadn't booked thru the cruiselines they would have left without us. We were on the 7th floor and by the time we climbed the steps to our room the boat was already leaving because we were so late.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, have fun!!

This is one tour I would recommend booking thru the cruiselines because it is a far drive from the port and we got back late. If we hadn't booked thru the cruiselines they would have left without us. We were on the 7th floor and by the time we climbed the steps to our room the boat was already leaving because we were so late.

Where you in port 5p-12mn? The first BioBay trip should be over by 9pm and you can be back to the boat by 10:15 pm or so....

Archived