Jellyfish in January?

jaded99

Hello everyone... happy new year!

We're going to be in the Caymans soon and we're doing the reef and rays snorkeling through our cruiseline. I've heard a lot about jellyfish and sea lice, but that it depends on the time of year?

Just wondering, does anyone know how bad the jellyfish are in January, and what kinds of stinging creatures to look out for? We did buy SafeSea lotion, but I've heard mixed reviews as to whether or not it actually works. I'm also nervous about sharks, barracudas, etc... Any advice for a chicken how not to get stung/bitten? Or am I worrying over nothing?

We always go to GC in Dec/Jan/Feb and we've never had a problem with jelly fish or sea lice. We've not seen any, nor have we been stung by any. I don't know this for sure, but I think that particular time isn't jellyfish/sea lice time.

As for sharks, the only sharks we've seen are the harmless type. We did see a barracuda, but it swam on by me and just ignored me.

Have a fun time on your excursion! The stingrays are amazing. It's something we never tire of doing. I am a HUGE chicken also, and was worried about the same things as you are our first time there, but found that I really shouldn't have worried at all.

Sea Itch (variously known as Sea Bather's Eruption or Sea Lice) is a skin reaction to the larvae of the thimble jellyfish. Exposure to the adult jellyfish does not cause a sting... but where there are adults, there are usually unseen larvae.

These tiny jellyfish wash through our corner of the Caribbean each spring - typically in the April through early June period. Outbreaks in the Cayman area are very rare in January.

In sensitive individuals a skin reaction lasting from a few days to a couple weeks may flare up after exposure. Symptoms usually appear within a few minutes to a few hours after exposure. It is similar to the reaction to poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac. A few lucky souls seem to be entirely immune.

A rash from Sea Itch tends to be worse in areas where clothing rubs against the skin such as around the neckline or where there is skin-to-skin friction such as behind the knees and inside the elbows.

Sea Safe brand sun lotion contains a bio-engineered protein that helps prevent the stinging. It is an effective way to reduce the sting in sensitive individuals. You need to thoroughly cover your body including under the bathing suit area for Sea Safe to be effective. Of course the thimble jellyfish always have a way of finding the spots you might have missed when applying the lotion. :eek:

If find you have been in infested waters there are a few steps to limit the sting.

• First, clear the area of infested water.
  • Rinse thoroughly in clean salt water and then afterwards in fresh water.
  • Apply a light spray of a vinegar solution to exposed areas.
  • Remove bathing suit and any other exposed clothing. Do not wear exposed clothing again until you have washed and dried (with heat) the affected clothing.
  • Take over the counter antihistamines such as Benadryl to limit itching.

Drew, your observations are very helpful. Would you recommend using the Sea Safe lotion in mid-February if snorkeling in the Cayman Islands then? I have another question I hope you can answer (even though this does not have to do with the Cayman Islands...) We will be going to the Cayman Islands in February, but also to Cozumel. Would you happen to know if the thimble jellyfish are in the Cozumel area around that time, or are they also more likely to be found there a bit later in the year? Thanks.

Thimble jellyfish very, very rarely make any showing in January, February, or March. There may be some in April... particularly later in the month. Peak time is May into June.

Some years there are exceedingly few and other years the colonies look like small oil slicks on the water.

Infestations can be quite localized. It is possible to have infestations in one area and clear water on another part of the island.

It is my understanding that the thimbles seem to make their appearances in Cozumel and Cayman about the same time of year.

Archived