Kids ID to re-board?

kathi316

Hello. We just got off an NCL Caribbean cruise and children did not need to have additional ID. We always carry a laminated wallet sized copy of all of our passports (theirs included), but we were told by NCL that kids did not need additional ID at any of our ports.

If there are two adults in your group, you could take the chance and leave the passport aboard the ship. If a passport is required then one adult can go onto the ship to get the child's passport, while the other waits with the child. Just make sure you have plenty of time to do this. Wouldn't want to "miss the boat":eek:

No, kids under 16 do not need photo ID to reboard. You will only need a driver's license or a passport with a picture for the adults in your party and those 16 and over. The photo ID with cruise sea pass will be shown to both the port authorities and the ship's crew at the gangway to make sure you belong on that ship.

If the child in the above post had his passport out and ready, then yes they would look at it....but it was not necessary to reboard.

We were told that the kids in our group needed 2 pieces of ID and re-entering the port we DID have to show them. One was 6 months, the other 3 YO. We were in NZ but they did have to show the ID. Cruise card and passport. Could be they are stricter there as they really did check everyone's picture.

We were told that the kids in our group needed 2 pieces of ID and re-entering the port we DID have to show them. One was 6 months, the other 3 YO. We were in NZ but they did have to show the ID. Cruise card and passport. Could be they are stricter there as they really did check everyone's picture.

OK, maybe I should clarify, kids on cruises leaving from the US and arriving back in the US would not need 2 forms of ID to reboard the ship.

In the US, we don't need a passport for SEA travel yet.

So kids under the age of 16 simply need a birth certificate to cruise from the US. Those 16 and older need photo IDs with the birth certificates (or passports to make it easier). So when reboarding the ship, you only need a sea pass card for those under 16 if your ship left from the US.

I have tested this out 6 times with my kids. If I needed photo IDs for them to reboard the ship, then we would still be sitting in Cozumel right now. ;) I don't like to go to the beach with all of our passports so I take Driver's Licenses and the sea pass cards.

Next month, I will try it out again. So if you don't hear from me, the kids and I are stuck in Belize. :p

We had to show both passports and ship cards in Key West for our children, but we were docked at a military base. In Cozumel we only had to show our ship cards (adults and children).

We got our children the Passport Cards, makes it very easy to bring them to port and I don't have to worry about them getting ruined if they get wet.

Archived