Not into Formal...

islandgals

Our cruise in December was our first since our last and the "rules" changed (spring '08). On "Elegant Night" tuxes were non-existent, however some men wore suits, but not most. On other nights men wearing shorts were the majority. This is a refreshing change.:cool:

Uh, proper breeding and class have absolutely nothing to do with a person's nationality. Do you have a dictionary?:D

Happy cruisin' to ya!

Why do so many of you live by a dictionary:confused:

Ok then you might want to look up formal and elegant;)

Drew's Wife ... you both look wonderful!

I have never noticed a difference in dress between early or late dining. I'm wondering however if perhaps at times the early dinner might feel a bit less formal because of more children.

I can be a bit blinded when it comes to Elegant Night or Formal Night so I really don't know nor do I care. You see, my husband will be sitting across from me wearing his Tux and I will be in my most elegant dress. My eyes will be so focused that night on my husband and how fine he looks that if the person sitting right next to me was wearing shorts and a tshirt I really wouldn't care. However if someone were as opinionated as Steve were to sit at my table ... it could be a major distraction.

. However if someone were as opinionated as Steve were to sit at my table ... it could be a major distraction.

I can assure you that I would not be anything but a great table mate.

Expressing opinions on a message board versus doing it in person are two different things,plus my wife does not share all of my opions so that would not make for a great cruise.:)

Ignorance is my rule on many of the taboo subjects but I will also conform to the general discussion. You want to talk about dressing down,I am there.You want to talk about dressing up,I too am there as up until a cruise or two ago,I did wear a tux on two nights.

There are several of us here who participate in the daily banter back and forth and have been given vacations on CC for letting our own personal opinions become too opinionated "is the word I will use".:D

I think in a real M&G face to face,it would make for more of a laugh then anything else.I have met many CCers on board and they all have been friendly and fun as a rule and we have had some great excursions together as well.

Steve

Why do so many of you live by a dictionary:confused:

Because some refuse to acknowledge the meaning of words in their native language. And their fallacies need to be shown.:eek::D

Ok then you might want to look up formal and elegant;)

formal

Adjective

1. of or following established conventions: formal talks, a formal announcement

2. characterized by conventional forms of ceremony and behaviour: a small formal dinner party

3. suitable for occasions organized according to conventional ceremony: formal cocktail frocks

4. methodical and organized: a formal approach

5. (of education and training) given officially at a school, college, etc.: he had no formal training in maths

6. symmetrical in form: a formal garden

7. relating to the form or structure of something as distinguished from its substance or content: they addressed the formal elements of the structure of police work

8. Philosophy logically deductive rather than based on facts and observation [Latin formalis]

formally adv

elegant

adjective 1. stylish, fine, beautiful, sophisticated, delicate, artistic, handsome, fashionable, refined, cultivated, chic, luxurious, exquisite, nice, discerning, graceful, polished, sumptuous, genteel, choice, tasteful, urbane, courtly, modish, comely, à la mode, schmick Austral. (informal) << OPPOSITE inelegant

adjective 2. ingenious, simple, effective, appropriate, clever, neat, apt

They were easy to find K, you could have found them yourself:rolleyes:

Dan.

Because some refuse to acknowledge the meaning of words in their native language. And their fallacies need to be shown.:eek::D

Dan.

Thx, Dan.:)

I can be a bit blinded when it comes to Elegant Night or Formal Night so I really don't know nor do I care. You see, my husband will be sitting across from me wearing his Tux and I will be in my most elegant dress. My eyes will be so focused that night on my husband and how fine he looks that if the person sitting right next to me was wearing shorts and a tshirt I really wouldn't care.

I feel the same way, angel. My family and I enjoy getting dressed up for Formal Night, which is now Elegant Night. DH and sons do not wear a tux, but they wear a suit and tie....I wear a long gown. However, if others don't want to dress up....what EV. Doesn't bother me, although sometimes we do get a laugh from some of the get-ups we've seen in the dining room on Formal Night.

It's the American way isn't it. We want the easy way to do things. Maybe if we are lucky there will be no dress code before long and we can wear whatever we want to wear, like our bathing suits and see men in tank tops showing their hairy shoulders or no shirt at all, yippy! When we walk into the dinning room it will be like stepping into any Waffle House along the interstate.

It's the American way isn't it. We want the easy way to do things. Maybe if we are lucky there will be no dress code before long and we can wear whatever we want to wear, like our bathing suits and see men in tank tops showing their hairy shoulders or no shirt at all, yippy! When we walk into the dinning room it will be like stepping into any Waffle House along the interstate.

I think the choreography is better at 'Awful House.'

Dan

Drew's Wife ... you both look wonderful!

Thank you so much!

You see, my husband will be sitting across from me wearing his Tux and I will be in my most elegant dress. My eyes will be so focused that night on my husband and how fine he looks

This is wonderful! I am the same way about Drew. I am always so proud to walk in with him, knowing how wonderful he looks! He is the light of my life! And I have to admit, it does my heart good, when other women come up to me and whisper how good he looks!

The problem with that statement is geography.

So here where I live near the beach, flip flops and shorts are the norm and at night when we go to a nicer place,we just put on sandels.

You're right. The flip flops are necessary because you can't go in bare foot. In our nicest restaurants anything goes, but you must have something on your feet, and must wear a shirt.

And most of us have flip flops that cost more than a pair of dress shoes:eek:

You're right. The flip flops are necessary because you can't go in bare foot. In our nicest restaurants anything goes, but you must have something on your feet, and must wear a shirt.

And most of us have flip flops that cost more than a pair of dress shoes:eek:

Hi Neighbor!

You are so right about the bare feet thing.

My daughters have some of those flip flops.I don't even ask how much anymore.:eek:

I am glad someone backed me up here on the flip flops.I guess it can be hard to believe that our dress up in our nicest restaurants does consist of exactly what you said......something on your feet and a shirt.

Steve

No matter how much traditionalists deplore the move away from formal nights, it IS the way of the future. It's only a matter of time before every mass market cruise line downgrades their dress code policy to accommodate new cruisers who would prefer not to have such a rigid dress code.

I have no problem with easing the dress codes at all - but it would really help if cruise lines that DID present a list of restricted clothes, actually enforced the requirements - otherwise it just becomes a complete joke.

Hi Neighbor!

You are so right about the bare feet thing.

My daughters have some of those flip flops.I don't even ask how much anymore.:eek:

I am glad someone backed me up here on the flip flops.I guess it can be hard to believe that our dress up in our nicest restaurants does consist of exactly what you said......something on your feet and a shirt.

Steve

Any time:)

DH has wardrobe trouble cruising. Florida is very relaxed as far as wardrobe is concerned, going back to when none of us had air conditioning, I would expect. I work in an professional environment in an upscale location in downtown Orlando - jeans are the norm. When I worked on Merritt Island, shorts were the order of the workday wardrobe. DH loves cruising, as do I, but he has trouble with the idea that he needs to consider his wardrobe while on vacation. He'd have a fit if he read these boards regarding dress code threads!

We just returned from a NYE cruise, and the capers for the first night actually said no shorts (we've always experienced first nights as "come as you are" since you probably haven't seen your luggage yet). The MD announced during dinner the first night also that the dress code would be enforced, and mentioned no shorts -- which is in conflict with the published dress code policy that allows "dress shorts." :confused:

For the OP, both seatings are the same as far as variations on dressing for dinner. A nice pair of pants/slacks and blouse/shirt will always do the trick. Most Carnival cruisers do not read these boards and have no idea that wardrobe is such an issue. Relax and enjoy your cruise!

formal

Adjective

1. of or following established conventions: formal talks, a formal announcement

2. characterized by conventional forms of ceremony and behaviour: a small formal dinner party

3. suitable for occasions organized according to conventional ceremony: formal cocktail frocks

4. methodical and organized: a formal approach

5. (of education and training) given officially at a school, college, etc.: he had no formal training in maths

6. symmetrical in form: a formal garden

7. relating to the form or structure of something as distinguished from its substance or content: they addressed the formal elements of the structure of police work

8. Philosophy logically deductive rather than based on facts and observation [Latin formalis]

formally adv

elegant

adjective 1. stylish, fine, beautiful, sophisticated, delicate, artistic, handsome, fashionable, refined, cultivated, chic, luxurious, exquisite, nice, discerning, graceful, polished, sumptuous, genteel, choice, tasteful, urbane, courtly, modish, comely, à la mode, schmick Austral. (informal) << OPPOSITE inelegant

adjective 2. ingenious, simple, effective, appropriate, clever, neat, apt

Dan.

I have no need to live by a book:rolleyes: Nor do I need to acknowledge anything.

I just threw that out there to see who would be the first to look it up........

ROFLMAO!!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Sooo predictable and soo pathetic:rolleyes:

I didn't mean that I didn't want the dining rooms to turn into fast food joints, I just asked which is more formal. I am happy to wear a nice pant suit or pants and shirt , just not into ball gowns.

Neither is formal.........you don't need to wear a prom dress:)

I didn't mean that I didn't want the dining rooms to turn into fast food joints, I just asked which is more formal. I am happy to wear a nice pant suit or pants and shirt , just not into ball gowns.

From what I've seen, I don't think either seating is more or less formal than the other. Wear your nice pant suit or nice pants and shirt and you'll be perfectly fine. There will be some dressed more fancy than you, and some dressed less fancy......no worries! :cool:

We just returned from a NYE cruise, and the capers for the first night actually said no shorts (we've always experienced first nights as "come as you are" since you probably haven't seen your luggage yet). The MD announced during dinner the first night also that the dress code would be enforced, and mentioned no shorts -- which is in conflict with the published dress code policy that allows "dress shorts." :confused:

We were on the Fascination for NYE and my son took a picture of the Capers and the page from the info book in the cabin noting the conflicting information. Capers folded on the upper left and info page behind.

Dining Room Dress Code

Archived