What to do in FLL

We will be flying into FLL and staying at Hyatt Place on the 17 of Feb. Just wondered if there was a must do while there. We get in mid morning. I'm wondering is there anything special with the water taxi or is it like a bus only on water?? Is there any boat tour or sightseeing that would be fun also, what about places to eat that are "different". Last year we got in late so we walked over to Grumpy Gators for dinner and Total Wine and did our last minute shopping.

The water taxi is like a bus on the water. You can take it over to Las Olas Blvd for dinner and sit inside or outside at any of the numerous restaurants for a memorable meal as you people-watch. Just walk around and look at the menus or you can search first online. I'm not sure what is "different" to you. You might enjoy Samba Room (latin), Le Bonne Crepe (crepes), or Johnny V's (gourmet food with a cheese course menu). Wild Asia has a great menagerie of Asian food. Or you could go to Casablanca Cafe on A1A across from and overlooking the beach. It is a 2 story historic home with fireplace, bar, and terrace that has a Mediterranean menu.

The most popular boat tour is the Jungle Queen. It's tacky but fun!

If you have any other questions, post them to this thread and I'll try to check back.

We will be flying into FLL and staying at Hyatt Place on the 17 of Feb. Just wondered if there was a must do while there. We get in mid morning. I'm wondering is there anything special with the water taxi or is it like a bus only on water?? Is there any boat tour or sightseeing that would be fun also, what about places to eat that are "different". Last year we got in late so we walked over to Grumpy Gators for dinner and Total Wine and did our last minute shopping.

Last year we took the water taxi up to the stop for the Galleria Mall. It is a great upscale mall and we spent a long time there.

The captain of the water taxi gives a running commentary as you cruise the waterways so it is somewhat like a tour.

Another year we found a large auto show at the Convention Centre on 17th Street Causeway at the entrance to the port. You could check and see if there was anything going on there.

I see you are from Kingston-----I attended KCVI for two and a half years when we lived there briefly in the sixties.

Thanks royalcruz is there a website for the jungle queen tour? I could be into the tacky tourist thing :D What about a place called the ?Bimini Boatyard for dinner any thoughts about this place and is it near the Hyatt?

sapper1 KCVI is still goin strong! The City of Kingston has the same feel about it only the population has changed about 120,000 I think.

Thanks royalcruz is there a website for the jungle queen tour? I could be into the tacky tourist thing :D What about a place called the ?Bimini Boatyard for dinner any thoughts about this place and is it near the Hyatt?

sapper1 KCVI is still goin strong! The City of Kingston has the same feel about it only the population has changed about 120,000 I think.

My husband and I ate at the Bimini Boatyard last April and we loved it. We sat out on the terrace and watched all the activity on the canal. The food was delicious. I always hate to make a recommendation in case someone else's experience might be less than ours but we really enjoyed it and will probably go back this March. In Feb you might not want to sit out on the terrace but you could get a nice night.

With regard to finding it, before we went to Lauderdale I scoped everything out on the google overhead view maps. If you check on there and see where Eisenhower Blvd meets 17th Street Causeway, go to the left on 17th to the first little street on the right and you will see that it passes through a little parking lot to the water. The Bimini Boatyard is the building with the red roof at the end of that little street. The large building on the right with the lighter red roof is a hotel---I forget the name of it.

We walked to it from our hotel (Holiday Inn Express) but found it a little disconcerting to walk along such a busy thoroughfare. You have to go up to Eisenhower Blvd and use the lights to cross the street unless you can run like a gazelle or have a death wish.:D

The Jungle Queen Cruise is beyond tacky. You will cringe. Take the water taxi and you will get the experience without the cornball comments. You will go on different waterways but still get the experience---plus you willl not be put ashore on a private "island" for an hour to watch an alligator wrestler and buy cheap souvineers. Then the wrestler passes the hat and you feel obliged to tip even if you didn't bother to watch the silly exhibition.

I love Bimini Boatyard, but haven't tried it since new owners took over this summer. You must order the bimini bread--it's warm, sweet and sticky! The location is great for you, and you can sit on the waterfront patio if the weather is nice.

sapper1, I agree with you about the Jungle Queen, but the OP was asking for a boat tour, and this is the most popular one. It's not my kind of entertainment, but some people love it. I understand that some of the water taxi drivers give a narrated tour also.

I love Bimini Boatyard, but haven't tried it since new owners took over this summer. You must order the bimini bread--it's warm, sweet and sticky! The location is great for you, and you can sit on the waterfront patio if the weather is nice.

sapper1, I agree with you about the Jungle Queen, but the OP was asking for a boat tour, and this is the most popular one. It's not my kind of entertainment, but some people love it. I understand that some of the water taxi drivers give a narrated tour also.

With regard to boat tours, I have noticed, while waiting for the cruise ship to depart, that there is a tour boat that makes its way up along the channel where the ships berth and then returns over to the Fort Lauderdale area. Do you know what company that would be and where they would originate?

Our water taxi driver gave a very nice, intelligent narration as we cruised along. It was quite enjoyable and we really appreciated all the information.

I just wish Florida wasn't so far away as we really do enjoy it. It is my favourite place to vacation in the States----that and Myrtle Beach.

Thanks Bequia a wealth of knowledge as usual :D do you have any comments about the Bimini Boatyard??
We stayed at the Renaissance in October 08. We ate dinner twice at Bimini Boatyard & it was very good. The first night we ate there we had dinner & the second night we had happy hour drinks in the bar & ordered a few appetizers for dinner. Next time we are in Ft. Lauderdale we will eat there again. Hope this info helps.

There's nothing scary about S.E. 17th Street, it's pedestrian friendly.

/////

I guess I gave the wrong impression about 17th Street. It is pedestrian friendly and we felt it to be a very safe neighbourhood. My comments were prompted by the fact that I am from a small city and am not accustomed to having four lanes of constant traffic speeding by just a few feet from me while I am walking along. I had a hard time getting used to it. I do apologize if I gave anyone second thoughts about walking on 17th Street.

I guess I gave the wrong impression about 17th Street. It is pedestrian friendly and we felt it to be a very safe neighbourhood. My comments were prompted by the fact that I am from a small city and am not accustomed to having four lanes of constant traffic speeding by just a few feet from me while I am walking along. I had a hard time getting used to it. I do apologize if I gave anyone second thoughts about walking on 17th Street.

I know what you mean! Our roads can appear intimidating! But we have pedestrian lights/crosswalks at most traffic lights for safety.

How long does is take if you take the water taxi from the closest place you can catch it from the Renesiance Hotel downtown.

Big Al

How long does it take to go where? The Renaissance Hotel is on NE 17th St, which is not really downtown. There is a water taxi stop a block east of the hotel on the water behind the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel. Bimini Boatyard is next to the Renaissance. Maybe that answers your question.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Carrie B cruise. You will never meet anyone more knowledgeable than the captain of that boat. He will give you a close up look at any cruise ships that are in port and he knows stuff that you will find amazing. We'll be there on Wednesday in fact!

How long does it take to go where? The Renaissance Hotel is on NE 17th St, which is not really downtown. There is a water taxi stop a block east of the hotel on the water behind the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel. Bimini Boatyard is next to the Renaissance. Maybe that answers your question.

So no need to take the water taxi to the bimini huh? I guess we will just take the water taxi to another destination just for the fun of it. Thanks for the information!

Big Al

There's nothing scary about S.E. 17th Street, it's pedestrian friendly.

/////

Thanks for the info, good to know! I know the area is safe, from reading on here, but I wanted to make sure there were sidewalks, crossways, etc.

With 3 kids with us, just want to be sure! :D

So no need to take the water taxi to the bimini huh? I guess we will just take the water taxi to another destination just for the fun of it. Thanks for the information!

Big Al

You got it! If you take the water taxi to Las Olas, you will be downtown by the scenic route. Bring your walking shoes, and you can walk around for hours.

Archived