India - Independent Tours

slgjhg

Hi All,

This is actually a follow-up to our Roll Call and ports of call research for our 30 day cruise on the Royal from Rome to Bangkok. If you want to read all the details please go to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=52220. If you are only interested in the bottom line, the company I ended up using was lepassagetoindia and they did a fabulous job. They put together overland trip alternatives to Princess's overland as well as day tours in Mombia and Cochin.

We ended up doing a private tour with driver and guide in Mombai and a tour for 20 in Cochin. Both tours were a huge success and far less inexpensive than the Princess tours. (Not to mention lines, waiting, etc.)

If you have questions, I would be happy to respond.

Regards,

Shannon

I'm going on a two week trip to India at the end of December, and I'm just trying to work out what to take in the way of cash, etc.

What do you recommend -- did you have t.checks? Did you use a bank card while you were there? Are ATMs too much to hope for?

Thanks!

Clasina,

Your situation is very different than mine. However, we paid by credit card using fax for the tours in advance. While in port we used American $$$ for tipping etc. When we added all the extra people for the Cochin tour we paid again in American $$$. I can't remember if we saw ATM's, we used them everywhere else though.

If you are booked with a tour company, I would ask them. Sorry I can't be more help.

Have a wonderful trip!

Regards,

Shannon

• 4 months later...

Archived