Attilla wreck in Aruba

MrSchwump

My husband tried the dive a few years ago, and said it was extremely murky. He snorkelled it as well. He regretted doing it, but it could have been choppy water, even though I was by the california light house in the water there at the same time, and the water was calm. I believe the ship was called Antilla, but could be wrong!

We are diving it next week, I'll try to keep in mind how it would be to snorkel it and post when we get back. If you get a show called Dreamwrecks where you live, they have an episode on the Antilla which would give you an idea of what you might see.

I've snorkelled it a couple of times. Visibility wasn't great but what impressed me was the size of the Antilla. It is one of the largest wrecks that can be snorkelled. As one guidebook said, it's like snorkelling over the Titanic. An interesting experience to be sure.

Has anyone snorkeled on the wreck of the Attilla (sp?) in Aruba? I've known people who did a scuba dive on it but I wondered how it was for snorkeling.

Thanks!

The Antilla sank in shallow water so it's good for snorkeling as well as diving. The day I was there the visibility was excellent. I've never seen so many fish, there were literally thousands.

I enjoyed it so much I swam completely around her twice.

The Antilla is completely boring compared to the reef that is closer in (Arashi / Malmok). The fish life is minimal in comparison. If you want a wreck, what's left of the Perdinalis is better.

The Antilla is also more difficult to get to if you are coming from the shore. It alone is not worth doing a boat / snorkling trip. On the surface, bits of pieces of the Antilla also stick up out of the water. This makes it a little dangerous for snorkeling.

Hi Themons,

Any suggestions for those who want to snorkel at Arashi/Malmok and will have one day on a cruise ship stop? There is Arashi Beach, but how far out is the reef? Is Malmok in the same vicinity? Do you know of any operators that visit both the Antilla and Arashi/Malmok for snorkeling?

Also, I was going to sign my dh up for a dive w/the ship's tour. Some posts I've read both here and on Tripadvisor say the Antilla is super interesting and a worthwhile dive/snorkel. (I know; it's in 50-60 ft. of water, but many had clear conditions, apparently.) So I'm guessing you have a lot of experience either snorkeling or diving in various places???

Both of us have snorkeled, and my dh has gone diving in many very beautiful locations w/excellent sea life and coral (such as Bora Bora, Maui, St. John, Cozumel, etc. Should we skip this type of activity on Aruba in light of that? Doesn't sound like it's the best place for either snorkeling OR diving. (Too bad we aren't getting to visit Bonaire on this trip, but maybe next time!) If it's just not worth spending a fair amt. of money to do in Aruba, we'd rather just hang out on a beach someplace and shop a little as well, or rent a car and putz around. (We have visited Aruba once before and have seen the lighthouse, natural bridge, etc., already.)

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

My DH and I went to snorkel at the Antilla. I chickened out due to the choppyness of the water (it was my first year snorkeling). However, my DH was amazed at the number of fish he saw. And, more the usual type from our other experiences.

I do regret not trying it now (after having snorkeled for a several years) and would definitely try again.

We've snorkeled the Antilla twice and won't make that mistake a third time. Apparently we are slow learners.

Between the current, murky water, choppy water, and few fish, you'd think we would have learned after the first time.

Hi Themons,

Also, I was going to sign my dh up for a dive w/the ship's tour. Some posts I've read both here and on Tripadvisor say the Antilla is super interesting and a worthwhile dive/snorkel. (I know; it's in 50-60 ft. of water, but many had clear conditions, apparently.) So I'm guessing you have a lot of experience either snorkeling or diving in various places???

Both of us have snorkeled, and my dh has gone diving in many very beautiful locations w/excellent sea life and coral (such as Bora Bora, Maui, St. John, Cozumel, etc. Should we skip this type of activity on Aruba in light of that? Doesn't sound like it's the best place for either snorkeling OR diving. (Too bad we aren't getting to visit Bonaire on this trip, but maybe next time!) If it's just not worth spending a fair amt. of money to do in Aruba, we'd rather just hang out on a beach someplace and shop a little as well, or rent a car and putz around. (We have visited Aruba once before and have seen the lighthouse, natural bridge, etc., already.)

The Antilla is not going to compare to Bora Bora or Cozumel but if you enjoy diving it's a worthwhile trip in my opinion. I've dove it close to a dozen times on various cruises / trips to Aruba and I always enjoy it. Aruba does not have a great reputation for diving / snorkeling and to some extent it's deserved. It's not in the same league as many other Caribbean islands but it DOES have some good to very good sites. To some of us, any diving / snorkeling is better than none.

jtonra, I hear ya! I never turn down a chance to snorkel, but have been disappointed a few times. Not usually so bad as it's usually not been much $ or none at all. But my dh will be diving, an it's not cheap. I know that any location can have murky water at times, or chop. But then another time it will be calm and clear. Seems like the Antilla's location may be like that based on one person finding it very clear and others the opposite! Well, we just have to assess the situation and decide now.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Themons,

Any suggestions for those who want to snorkel at Arashi/Malmok and will have one day on a cruise ship stop? There is Arashi Beach, but how far out is the reef? Is Malmok in the same vicinity? Do you know of any operators that visit both the Antilla and Arashi/Malmok for snorkeling?

We've been to Aruba three times due to a family timeshare. The snorkeling/scuba diving is definitely not as good as other places such as Tortola or Hawaii. While the visibility may not be as great as some other Caribbean areas, the sealife is at least equal. I cannot compare to the South Pacific as I have not been there. Overall, I think that it is generally OK with the exception of the Antilla.

My favorite for snorkeling has been the catamaran/snorkel trip offered by Pelican / Unique water sports. However, I think that Red Sail also does it. They take you up to the Arashi/Malmok area under sail and then you get out to snorkel. They usually have drinks and snacks on board. Some of them do a double stop including the Antilla.

The other option is to ride the bus, car, or take a taxi up the road to the Arashi/Malmok area and then just walk into the water. The little parking lot is a little rocky, but the reef literally starts feet from the water. When we do the timeshare, that is the first thing we do even if we plan on diving it later that week.

The natural bridge isn't there any more, so you are lucky to have seen it. The other fun thing that we did last year was the new Amphibious Duck Tour which does go by the lighthouse. I have also enjoyed the horse trip on the other side of the island to the natural pool.

Thanks, Themons. I had thought of just walking into the water at the location you mentioned after someone else posted about it, but I'll be w/out my dh (as he will be on a dive). Certainly others would be around, but I only realized a couple of days ago that our ship will be leaving around 12:30 or 1 p.m., so that will leave little time for much! (I can't figure out WHY our time is so short there!) So right now I am on the fence about which excursion to do. It seems everyone has a different opinion about the same thing, and they are often at juxtapositions!

Thanks, Themons. I had thought of just walking into the water at the location you mentioned after someone else posted about it, but I'll be w/out my dh (as he will be on a dive). Certainly others would be around, but I only realized a couple of days ago that our ship will be leaving around 12:30 or 1 p.m., so that will leave little time for much! (I can't figure out WHY our time is so short there!) So right now I am on the fence about which excursion to do. It seems everyone has a different opinion about the same thing, and they are often at juxtapositions!

That's very understandable.

Snorkeling, as with many other activities, is dependent upon the weather and expectations.

Unless a location is exceptional, Roatan and Cozumel come to mind, you can have a completely different experience on two different days.

As for expectations, a snorkeler with experience in the S. Pacific might dismiss my references to the aforementioned ports.

But my snorkeling history has been limited to the Caribbean. So what do I know? :o

Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. It would be a very dull world if we all agreed.

Archived