Oceania Cruises? Anybody know?

der93711

Has anybody ever cruised the Oceania cruiseline. I know nothing about this line and was curious as I am always getting emails for special pricing and not sure if it is a line I would consider.
Thanks in advance.
Der

RCCI Song of Norway 1982
RCCI Viking 1991
Princess Crown 12/93
Galaxy 11/98
Princess Crown 12/00
Summit 1/03
Summit 1/12/04

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=1>
<param name="day" value=12>
<param name="hour" value=16>
</applet>[img]http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Creatures_and_Cartoons/Smurfs/Smurf_on_beach.gif[/img]</img>

I have some friends that have sailed with them - right now they are only sailing one ship, but a second is due to start sailing too. They are two of the old Renaissance ships and look wonderful. My friends raved about the trip. The dress is "country club casual" all the time (no formal).

We were looking to book with them until we read their policy on smoking.... no smoking in any cabins or balconies or any public areas except two areas on deck.

Sue

[B]Grand Princess - Western Caribbean[/B] - April 25, 2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

[B]Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04[/B]

[B]Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05[/B]

They will send you free VHS or DVD called "The Oceania Experience" that will give you a better feel for the product. Just go to the website. I can't speak from experience yet, but I did cancel my Constellation cruise for the Regatta, so I am hoping I made the right decision. The customer service reps on the phone have been fantastic, so that is always a good sign. They have a board here too, although not nearly as active as this one.

These former Renaissance ships are great. At a nice intimate size, they have nearly all of the amenities of larger ships. The standard staterooms (inside, outside and balcony) are a bit small, but comfortable for one or two. The bathrooms are very compact. The larger balcony staterooms, misnamed as "penthouse suites" in a bit of gross overstatement, are a very nice size and are the first to sell out. The decor is that of an upscale English country hotel, inviting and comfortable. Everything is easily recognizable and familiar; no bizzare 'modern' touches, weird color clashes or strangely shaped seating. Oceania is carrying on some of the policies that Renaissance had; open dining, country club casual dress code with no formal evenings, no children's programs or spaces (children are not disallowed but are discouraged) and very, very limited smoking areas.

Oceania has hyped their upgraded bedding and linens and has promised finer food.

Oceania is sticking to their set pricing which is somewhat between the mainstream lines (Celebrity, HAL, Princess, RCCL) and the luxury lines (Crystal, Seabourn, Seven Seas). Their basic price is one half the published brochure rate and so far has not fluctuated in an effort to fill their one ship, Regatta. Oceania has played with free or half price air fare, but not the basic cruise price. It will be interesting to see what happens with pricing when Insignia goes into service.

I would love to sail on Oceania after having had a wonderful cruise on Renaissance R6, but right now with the many great bargains remaining on the mainstream cruise lines, I cannot justify the higher price to sail on Oceania even though I really like some of their itineraries.

Bill

Renaissance R6 Dec 2000
Galaxy Aug 2001
Volendam Nov 2002
Volendam Jun 2003
Constellation Oct 2003

Westerdam Nov 2004

We just returned from the Regatta on 3/15/04... I have a review on Cruise Critic (under "cruise lines A-O), and one on Cruise Mates too. In comparing our Celebrity experience (only one--so far--Mercury) to Regatta, I would say the Regatta food was superior, the decor of the ship, WAY prettier, the beds more comfortable, we liked the open seating in four restaurants, and the size of the ship promotes meeting people, and then getting together over drinks/dinner. The line attracts a slightly older and more affluent crowd I think. Celebrity had them beat hands down when it came to entertainment options, Regatta has a very limited selection of things to do.
I would cruise on either one again, but probably would take the much lower price on Celebrity, or really splurge on a 6 star line (Crystal? Silversea?) if I wanted a really luxurious cruise. I do think Oceania would be lovely to cruise Europe, go go go all day in port, and then shower, dress (yes, the do "dress" for dinner on this line, just not in tuxes and gowns), have a fantastic dinner, then fall into bed. Nothing much to do in the hours between 9 and midnight on these ships. Happy sailing, Martha

Mike & Martha 1992 RCI Nordic Empress 1997 Dawn Princess 1998 RCI Vision of the Seas 1999 Carnival Celebration 2000 Grand Princess 2001 HAL Veendam 2001 RCI Radiance of the Seas 2002 RCI Grandeur of the Seas 2003 Celebrity Mercury 2004 Oceania Regatta

Archived