bringing liquor back to the US

westerfiek

we will be going on a cruise out of San Juan in two weeks. I was wondering what the rules were for bringing back duty free alcohol.

may I carry on the alcohol we purchase? I am flying American and they are charging for checked luggage.

great, thanks!! Now I know not to buy any alcohol during the cruise and to buy it in SJU after security check.

If you are returning to to US you will be limited to what you can buy, I believe it was mostly Rum and and there is a section in the Duty free store for US buyers, found out while waiting for our flight, the guy sitting next to me had a bag with 4 bottles, I asked him what's the deal?? 5 minutes later I had my 4!!

Cheers

Gerry

if you have a connecting flight within the US... how does it work with your carry one of liquor? aren't you limited to the 1 oz from TSA?

It depends on the airport. If you have to go back through security to get to your connecting flight, then yes you will run into the 3-1-1 rule. If you don't have to go through security to change gates/concourses/terminals, then you are fine for your connecting flight.

The selection after security at San Juan airport was OK, but you won't find the more esoteric liquors you're bound to encounter on a Caribbean cruise, e.g. infused rums from St Maartin, agricole rums from French Caribbean, etc. But for a cheap stock up (e.g. Don Q rum) it's great!

I think the flight will be your problem. Not the duty free. Unless you check you bags, you will be limit to the 3-1-1 rule. If you want to check a bag containing liquor and want to know how much to bring duty free, here are the rules:

Generally, 1 L per adult is the rule, but if you buy at least one local 1 L bottle, you can bring back 2 L. Attached is the regulation (see page 17 of the list of the countries). For US Virgin Islands, America Samoa and Jamaica, (I believe Puerto Rico is part of this) you can bring back 5 L per adult as long as 1 L was from the country (See page 18).

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/publications/travel/knowbeforeyougo.ctt/knowbeforeyougo.pdf

Archived