Amazing info on wind could actually blow someone overboard

germanbini

Reading these boards, and watching TV, it makes me believe we are becoming a nation of the fearful. There's constantly something new to be afraid of every single day. Salmonella, norovirus, streptococcus, in fact any germ on any surface anywhere, being pushed off a ship balcony by a psycopath, child abductors, food ingredients, global warming, electric towers, second hand smoke, highway shooters, toilet seats, airplane travel, terrorists, and now, walking around on a cruise ship minding your own business and being swept off the deck and thrown into the ocean by a rogue wind gust. Or worse, sucked out of our rooms through the balconies, never to be seen again. :eek:

It's a wonder any of us survive into our golden years.:o

Hmmm... because then they would have to name it, "Border Crossing Bruise?" :P

They could change their name to AbsoluteBS.com and then they could make up nonsense about any subject. If they want to stick to cruising they could change the name to Lieswetellaboutcruising.com.

This thread is giving them credibility they do not deserve. I'm done

Dan

I don't think it could blow me off either (I'm one of those "fat bottomed girls" mentioned earlier in the post ;) ). But who knows for a lighter weight or taller person, just in case.

I am a light weight (in weight only lol) taller person......have been on many balconies with that gush of wind while opening the interior door.....

The only thing that was picked up and blown a few feet were papers that were sitting on the desk.........and those didn't even make it over the balcony......

This is how urban legends get started:rolleyes:

They could change their name to AbsoluteBS.com and then they could make up nonsense about any subject. If they want to stick to cruising they could change the name to Lieswetellaboutcruising.com.

This thread is giving them credibility they do not deserve. I'm done

Dan

You're absolutely right. It almost seems like some people want to believe that there's a boogeyman lurking around every corner. Must be tough to live life like that. A natural attention to severe, commonly occurring, known risks is one thing, but...

I think it could happen, a friend of DF's "blew" off of an aircraft carrier. I would assume it would take a lot but I bet it could happen. Mythbusters should test it, does anyone know how to send them an idea for a show?

I witnessed this "wind tunnel" firsthand. On my 1st balcony ever, my hubby and I discovered a neat little trick. We would open our cabin door and our balcony door at the same time and if the wind was right it would be so strong that it would be like the inside of the house on the Wizard of Oz during the tornado! The comforter would lift up to the ceiling. Cool.

I think it could happen, a friend of DF's "blew" off of an aircraft carrier. I would assume it would take a lot but I bet it could happen. Mythbusters should test it, does anyone know how to send them an idea for a show?

If someone is careless enough to get cought in jet blast definetly will get knocked down and maybe blown overboard if they are close enough to the sides. Blown over from just the wind, slim to no chance of that happening. I have been on 3 carrier cruises and dozens of dets. And yes I have been knocked down by jet blast. I was young and stupid and did not know any better. You learn real fast or you die on an Aircraft carrier.

Archived