Viewing aircraft at Maho Beach

canadanewsman

Hi folks. We are heading out on our first cruise on Jan 11 and it includes a stop in St. Marten.

We want to go to Maho Beach to snorkle and especially to watch planes right over the beach.

We were thinking about renting a car, but does anyone know another way to see that area? Most of the tours seem to head to other centres.

Regards

Glenn

You can catch a cab to Maho from the pier. The minimum fare is $18 total, for 1 or 2 people. If you share for a total of 4 or more the price drops to $6 pp.

To return to the ship, you would have to walk 2 blocks from the Sunset Bar to the hotel across the runway to get a cab back. Most of the plane pics are taken from the vicinity of Sunset which also shows you the road running by the runway and the hotel in the background.

canadanewsman, i just had to reply to you. my husband told me about this place a few days ago. he wants to go there to view the planes overhead, take pics etc. plus, had to reply because we're from Pembroke, just down the road from you. have a great cruise! we cruise a month from today.

We were there in October and our Tour Driver (Bernard's Tours) took us there. Perfect timing as soon as we got out of the van and stepped on the beach, the plane came over. It was incredible. It had started raining so I had to leave my video camera on the van BUT I got some great footage from the "movie video" option on my water-proof camera. Well worth the trip. Be aware though that most flights come in mid afternoon and with the traffic it can take a while to get back to ship. It was our last stop of the day and we made it back in time to do an hour of shopping on way back to ship. Don't know if I would want to stay on the beach for a long time as the sand really gets blown around with the jets being so close. But then again, it you want a skin abrasion treatment .....:D

We were there in October and our Tour Driver (Bernard's Tours) took us there. Perfect timing as soon as we got out of the van and stepped on the beach, the plane came over. It was incredible. It had started raining so I had to leave my video camera on the van BUT I got some great footage from the "movie video" option on my water-proof camera. Well worth the trip. Be aware though that most flights come in mid afternoon and with the traffic it can take a while to get back to ship. It was our last stop of the day and we made it back in time to do an hour of shopping on way back to ship. Don't know if I would want to stay on the beach for a long time as the sand really gets blown around with the jets being so close. But then again, it you want a skin abrasion treatment .....:D

Where did you go on the tour? Would you reccomend it? And how much did it cost?

Bernard charges $35 pp for the day. It is a real bargain!

He will taylor to your needs if you have a group. He did for us.

We had our own van with John - who works for Bernard with 9 of us.

I did not see anyone snorkeling at Maho Beach or too many in

the water, but it was an overcast rainy day. Bernard has a website

with his email address and he will respond quickly. I do recommend

him as we went on his tour July 2008. I believe it is bernardstours

dot com. Have fun!!!!

Well I showed the DH these videos and said I wanted to go and at least check it out...He said what are you Flipping NUTS?? Yeah thats a definate no on the checking out Maho Beach :-( I'll have to live vicariously through YouTube.

Where did you go on the tour? Would you reccomend it? And how much did it cost?

My DD & SIL had gone with him in April as part of his standard tour. He dropped them off to scuba while others were shopping, etc. Then this October we had enough people to have a private tour and they went out of their way to fill all of our requests. He dropped some of us off at Dawn Beach while he took others to a Flea Market, the water was too ruff at Dawn that day for snorkeling, so we called him back to get us. He took us to another beach (can't remember which one right now) and the snorkeling there was great. We then picked the shoppers up and headed to Orient Beach. We stayed there for a while and our driver introduced us to some locals (with & without clothes on) ;) After which we headed to Maho Beach (as I said just in time for the planes arriving) By then it had started raining here so we didn't stay long. He took us back to the port area and dropped some of us off for a 90 minute shopping while he took the others (feeling too happy for shopping) back to the ship. I forgot to mention that he has a cooler full of water, soda, beer and rum punch. Out of 14 ladies we drank all of his rum punch so half way through the day he stopped and bought more.:D (the reason for a few ladies feeling "too happy" for shopping.) Once he got them back to the port he had another friend take them back to ship by golfcart (since walking was a little difficult, being so happy.)

He was waiting for us when we finished shopping (gotta buy Guavaberry yum yum) and dropped us off at the port. We paid $45.00 pp but like I said it included all we could drink and loads of personal service. I would highly reccomend them to anyone.

Well I showed the DH these videos and said I wanted to go and at least check it out...He said what are you Flipping NUTS?? Yeah thats a definate no on the checking out Maho Beach :-( I'll have to live vicariously through YouTube.

Another advantage of traveling with girlfriends who are as "Flipping Nuts" as I am :D Enjoy your trip ;)

My DD & SIL had gone with him in April as part of his standard tour. He dropped them off to scuba while others were shopping, etc. Then this October we had enough people to have a private tour and they went out of their way to fill all of our requests. He dropped some of us off at Dawn Beach while he took others to a Flea Market, the water was too ruff at Dawn that day for snorkeling, so we called him back to get us. He took us to another beach (can't remember which one right now) and the snorkeling there was great. We then picked the shoppers up and headed to Orient Beach. We stayed there for a while and our driver introduced us to some locals (with & without clothes on) ;) After which we headed to Maho Beach (as I said just in time for the planes arriving) By then it had started raining here so we didn't stay long. He took us back to the port area and dropped some of us off for a 90 minute shopping while he took the others (feeling too happy for shopping) back to the ship. I forgot to mention that he has a cooler full of water, soda, beer and rum punch. Out of 14 ladies we drank all of his rum punch so half way through the day he stopped and bought more.:D (the reason for a few ladies feeling "too happy" for shopping.) Once he got them back to the port he had another friend take them back to ship by golfcart (since walking was a little difficult, being so happy.)

He was waiting for us when we finished shopping (gotta buy Guavaberry yum yum) and dropped us off at the port. We paid $45.00 pp but like I said it included all we could drink and loads of personal service. I would highly reccomend them to anyone.

Hi Filling...can you tell me more about dropping off for scuba? My DH, two DDs and BIL will probably want to go Scuba diving while my sister and her two younger kids and I would want to do a beach/tour thing. I keep hearing the best things about Bernard so would probably use him! Not too keen on a lot of shopping-would probably rather spend more time at Maho and Orient (family side!). Can you tell me how you worked that out and who you DD used for Scuba diving? Many thanks

Hi Filling...can you tell me more about dropping off for scuba? My DH, two DDs and BIL will probably want to go Scuba diving while my sister and her two younger kids and I would want to do a beach/tour thing. I keep hearing the best things about Bernard so would probably use him! Not too keen on a lot of shopping-would probably rather spend more time at Maho and Orient (family side!). Can you tell me how you worked that out and who you DD used for Scuba diving? Many thanks

Sure, send me an email at Travel 4 Less GC at aol dot com and I will forward it to my daughter. She can tell you about the scuba since they did that on their first trip. That way she can respond directly to your email. You sound like me, I'd rather have all beach time and forego the shopping anytime. Talk to you soon.....Georganna

We also just toured with Bernard last Wednesday - a great tour especially if you haven't visited St. Martin before. It gave us a great overview for what we might want to see more of next time. We stopped at several places for pictures, Bernard truly loves his home and gave us a good social and political overview of the island. We also spent a few hours at Orient Beach, had a short stop in Marigot at the open market, and then got to Maho just in time to see a few small planes land and then get video of a large Air France jet coming in. It was a great tour and a bargain. We had talked about renting a car but this was so much nicer - let Bernard do the driving so we could concentrate on the beautiful scenery all while having a beer while riding made for a great day. The rum punch was pretty good, too, although our group didn't drink much and Bernard complained that we weren't drinking enough!

My DW and two other couples said the same thing. I insisted and in the cab ride back to the pier they all had smiles and said it was one of the most exciting and fun things they'd ever done on a cruise. It's all about catching "rush" and of course having a few cold ones.:D Oh, by the way we are all in our 40's.

Hi folks. We are heading out on our first cruise on Jan 11 and it includes a stop in St. Marten.

We want to go to Maho Beach to snorkle and especially to watch planes right over the beach.

We were thinking about renting a car, but does anyone know another way to see that area? Most of the tours seem to head to other centres.

Regards

Glenn

we are planning to go to Maho in Feb. how was the snorkling? was the water calm? i cannot wait to go there and see planes and fish!

Archived