Help....car rental

pinemountaingirl

We are going to Grand Cayman, Feb 1, Carnival, and are thinking of renting a car. What company is near the cruise ship or picks you up ? OR is it easy to get a taxi and just go to the air port? I already sent and got a map of the island. Was thinking at one time to just hire some one to take us around. (7 people). Will we waste alot of time. Of course the guys say...just walk around some and go back to ship..this is our 2nd time on GC,,thanks for anyones help.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response but I just started poking around this forum to plan my third trip to GC. This past October was my 2nd time, and while it's a beautiful island, if you're not into snorkeling with the stingrays, there's not a whole lot to do. We decided to rent a car and just make our own plans. We went through Andy's at SMB-they were fabulous!! We caught a taxi for $4pp to their office at SMB and just walked in and rented a convertible. I had previously inquired about their availability and rates online, and I would recommend reserving a vehicle online because it is a little more affordable. It was $65 for the day, but that's before your gas and your drivers permit and your environmental fee, etc..etc..etc..it came out to be $100 for the day-which actually was like 4.5 hours..but when you consider everything we did it was cheaper than the ships excursions! We drove to Hell (and back...hahaha, that never gets old), stopped at the turtle farm, then drove to the other side of the island to see the botanical gardens. It was awesome and not too hard to drive on the left side of the road! When we got back to Andy's, they even provided a free shuttle service back to the port. There are all kinds of maps and free information available in the office to help you figure out where to go. We would definitely recommend renting your own car for the day if you can't seem to decide on an excursion..it's a good way to save some money and see what YOU want to see. And you miss all the ship traffic if you go at your own pace. HTH, sorry it's long!! :-) Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Mrs Buddah

Can you provide any contact details for Andy's car hire company.

My wife and I are due to visit GC on our first ever cruise in March and like the OP fancy the idea of hiring a car to do our own thing.

Many thanks in advance.

John

Archived