Call your agent if you don't have a cabin assigned!

Carol_Hill

To webecrusin--I am not mad at you. Some other people who have responded in this thread don't seem to get it though.

I find it crazy that some people are more or less blaming you because you booked a GTY cabin category. What do they think GTY stands for? To me, it means guarantee which means that you will defiinitely get a cabin in that category or better. It does not mean that you are willing to take a chance on getting a cabin at the last minute...it guarantees that you will have one. This happening to you is inexcusable in my opinion. It sure is easy for some that did not go through your ordeal to say that alls well that ends well, but I doubt they would feel that way had they lived through it. I actually thought you handled the situation with grace and have been kind to try to provide the information to save others from having the same stressful experience. Thanks. Lin

I am astounded that this could even happen:eek: I just noticed last nite that the "BE" category opened on my upcoming Sky cruise 1/19. I was actually thinking about it as it is $70 less pp than a regular balcony. Thinking i will keep my plain ole window after reading your tale. How was your cruise and did u notice the smell at all that others talk about?

i guess the only *good* thing that we can take from this (other than you were finally assigned a cabin) is that the travel industry is not totally dying.

to be perfectly honest it surprises me that ships would be overbooked in a time of financial crisis in the US (where i believe most of the posters here are from???)

it could be all the deals for cabins that are out there, but bottom line is if you cant afford to cruise even a cheap cabin probably wont entice you.

at least the business is alive and well. i was kind of expecting to show up to a non-full ship on our March 8th cruise.

i guess the only *good* thing that we can take from this (other than you were finally assigned a cabin) is that the travel industry is not totally dying.

to be perfectly honest it surprises me that ships would be overbooked in a time of financial crisis in the US (where i believe most of the posters here are from???)

it could be all the deals for cabins that are out there, but bottom line is if you cant afford to cruise even a cheap cabin probably wont entice you.

at least the business is alive and well. i was kind of expecting to show up to a non-full ship on our March 8th cruise.

My opinion, which is worth what you're paying for it, ;), is that NCL is overbooking the balcony cabins on the Sky because they are selling it DIRT cheap, as compared to the other cruise lines, for a weekend cruise in a balcony cabin. The January 9 sailing, they were selling for $149 in a balcony, or possibly even cheaper than that. We paid something like $209 or so.

I am astounded that this could even happen:eek: I just noticed last nite that the "BE" category opened on my upcoming Sky cruise 1/19. I was actually thinking about it as it is $70 less pp than a regular balcony. Thinking i will keep my plain ole window after reading your tale. How was your cruise and did u notice the smell at all that others talk about?

vacationfool--The only smell that we smelled is that the men's bathroom by the exercise room apparently had some type of a stopped up toilet runover or something the second day. The carpet was wet for two days there and it smelled DISGUSTING, yes, but it was only in that hallway.

As far as the cruise in general, I just do not have any kind of an objective view on it. I am NOT going to do a review, as it would probably be unfair. I found an awful lot of things wrong, but I cannot be objective. The French restaurant was outstanding. Do try that, if you enjoy french food..

BTW, if you can get a specific cabin ASSIGNMENT, as opposed to booking a balcony guarantee, do it, as balconies are wonderful!

We sailed last winter and about 200 people missed the ship in Fort Lauderdale because of snow in the midwest and many cancelled flights. I wonder if this happens enough that they know a certain percentage will miss due to weather? On a short weekend sailing, they would probably not rejoin the ship on day 2 or 3.

I'm not saying at all what happened to you was acceptable--I just wondered if they took a chance and it did not work the way it usually does. To the many TAs--how often do people miss ships in winter due to bad weather in their home cities?

....I'm not saying at all what happened to you was acceptable--I just wondered if they took a chance and it did not work the way it usually does. ...

I have no idea what really happened, but if they did take a chance it most certainly DID work out. These folks cruised!

garycarla--It worked out????????? Guess I am right, you do work for NCL, that that is your response... And why the red, BIG letters?? Why so defensive??

And again, I have no idea whether the third couple got onboard or not, so have no idea whether it worked out for them or not....

lvz2cruz, thats exactly why we always fly down to our port of embarkation a day early. flying out of New England in the winter is risky so we fly in a day early and stay at a cheap hotel. its only for one night so we dont need anything fancy!

even if our flight gets delayed we still have a day to get there!

Pir upcoming cruise on Dawn 1/24 is just about sold out. The NCL site shows maybe a dozen suites available at premium prices. But suddenly they are showing BA guarantees for perhaps $100 less than they were before they sold out. So if someone comes along wanting this sailing, he is not offered the option of picking a specific cabin other than a suite. I'm just saying to people who advised to get a specific cabin rather than a guarantee, sometimes a guarantee is all that is offered!

As far as Air Tran goes. I had a flight from ATL to Richmond VA, with seat assignment PAID for (they have a thing where you can give them a few $ and get a specific seat rather than wait to have it assigned at check in).

I did the 24 hour ahead check in, and used a parking lot that had a baggage check-in. I told them I had a seat and only needed to check the bag. They gave me a chit for my bag and an envelope showing what gate to go to. I was very early.

I went to the gate and read my book. About 10 minutes before the flight was to board I noticed that the placard said the plane at that gate was going to Washington Reagan airport! Panic. The check in agent there told me what gate to go to, and I barely made it.

Ordinarily you do NOT have to re-check in once you are checked in, but with the stories we've heard here today, perhaps it's not a bad idea. We've been too trusting!

I can not imagine how awful this experience has been for you both! (and the other couples as well) I would have had such anxiety hearing those words....waiting for three hours.....can you say PANIC ATTACK! It would have taken more than a few bottles of vino and dinner to make it better!

My mind is racing with thoughts of all the planning, for us being in Northern Michigan it requires three airlines, long term parking, rental cars, hotels pre and post cruise, shuttles, private port excursions pre paid as well as the difficulty in securing vacation time when you work in a hospital! Oh my this would have rocked my world! Hmmm, trip insurance, I guess this is another great reason to have it! Wonder if it would cover this? Most likely.

In reading the posts, I can't help but wonder if they would choose "local" passengers over those that have air issues?? Perhaps living in FL was a disadvantage for you?? Maybe is has nothing to do with the criteria the airlines use...only guessing.

I agree that comparing airline overbooks to cruise ship overbooks is an unfair comparison - even when we have been delayed or bumped it has never been for more than 24 hours and has always ended up with us completing the trip.

I'm so happy to hear you recovered from this nightmare and were actually able to salvage your vacation! I do not think I could have done that as well as you did, bravo!

And thank you for your heads up post, this is why I love cruise critic!

Jan

Someone posted that it's not limited to airlines or cruise companies - that you can have the same thing happen for car rentals and hotels. My nephew's father and mother flew to NOLA last weekend for the Sugar Bowl. They had reservations at one of the major hotels chains. I think it was the Marriott where the team was staying, but I'm not positive about that. They booked their hotel reservations through one of the major online travel agencies, and had prepaid the entire cost.

Their flight didn't get into NOLA last week until fairly late at night, and when they arrived at the hotel, they were told "sorry. We have no rooms left." They said "What are you talking about, we have prepaid reservations." Again the response -- no open rooms. We can't honor your reservations.

Not only would they not honor the reservations, but they said they'd have to contact the online agency to get a refund and that it was out of their control. Needless to say, they were pissed! They ended up being able to get a room about 20 minutes out of town.

It's really scary to think of it happening on a cruise, as the money is normally so much greater, but it can happen with any travel related reservation.

I have no idea what really happened, but if they did take a chance it most certainly DID work out. These folks cruised!

Get real. If you were the one sitting 3 hours wondering if you would be turned away, you would not say it worked. No business should run that poorly and no one with objectivity would defend them.

OP: I am so sorry that you went through all of that! Not a very fun way to start your cruise. I'm glad it worked out in the end.

Personally I think it was a very rare computer glitch on NCL's part.

I sailed Gty on NCL Star and we got our cabin assignments about 2 weeks before we sailed BUT I was clearly told my my NCL agent that we might not have an assigned cabin until we arrived at the pier, as up-sells often occur at embarkation and they use the newly available cabins for the GTY folks.

So to others who don't have a "home" yet, don't panic. The OP's situation is very rare. Millions of people cruise GTY every year and if this were standard practice amongst the cruise lines we certainly would have heard about it by now.

Happy sailing everyone!

You know, I wouldn't feel so bad if NCL owned up to the fact that it was their fault, but they never did. Everybody makes mistakes. Mistakes of this magnitude should not happen, but if they do, own up to them and take responsibility. Don't claim it was the TA's fault. And the next day, don't call us up in our cabin and say that you apologize for the 'inconvenience', like it had nothing to do with you..

Overall, a guarantee is a good way to go, for both parties. But don't use it as an excuse to overbook the ship, screw up and then blame the TA and say the TA did something wrong..

Get real. If you were the one sitting 3 hours wondering if you would be turned away, you would not say it worked. No business should run that poorly and no one with objectivity would defend them.

If I were sitting there for 3 hours...oh, wait, I wouldn't be. I'd schedule an appointment to reconvene to discuss options AFTER they stored my baggage and I had lunch. Would I be peeved...yes. But the end result is that the cruise was taken...and for what, $500 for a balcony. What's the WORST that could have happened...a refund and a future free cruise? It's not the end of the world...3 hours of your life...taking turns eating...albeit stressed...but not the end of the world. Keep it in perspective...3 hours of waiting to still get what you paid for...by the way, did you end up with a BE cabin after all or an upgrade? Next time will certainly be better.

You know, I wouldn't feel so bad if NCL owned up to the fact that it was their fault, but they never did. Everybody makes mistakes. Mistakes of this magnitude should not happen, but if they do, own up to them and take responsibility. Don't claim it was the TA's fault. And the next day, don't call us up in our cabin and say that you apologize for the 'inconvenience', like it had nothing to do with you..

Overall, a guarantee is a good way to go, for both parties. But don't use it as an excuse to overbook the ship, screw up and then blame the TA and say the TA did something wrong..

Yah, that's just not cool or a good way to handle a screw up that was their fault!

I find it crazy that some people are more or less blaming you because you booked a GTY cabin category. What do they think GTY stands for? To me, it means guarantee which means that you will defiinitely get a cabin in that category or better. It does not mean that you are willing to take a chance on getting a cabin at the last minute...it guarantees that you will have one. This happening to you is inexcusable in my opinion. It sure is easy for some that did not go through your ordeal to say that alls well that ends well, but I doubt they would feel that way had they lived through it. I actually thought you handled the situation with grace and have been kind to try to provide the information to save others from having the same stressful experience. Thanks. Lin

I dont understand why people are blaming her either. As I stated in one of my posts I am a TA and a client of mine who booked her cruise months in advance with Carnival and booked and ASSIGNED ROOM not a gurantee. They showed up to the peir hours before departure and were bumped from the ship with a CABIN ASSIGNMENT. It apparently does not matter and I would book guarantees with NO hesitations.

In fact Cruise Critic had an article on this a little awhile ago. The article does not have to do with being bumped at the pier instead it has to do with being bumped before the cruise.

Quote from the article by an exec at Oceania Cruise Lines:

" "We were overbooked, which is not an unusual circumstance in the industry. Everyone overbooks. We have a model that knows that after final payment even if a ship is overbooked, passengers will cancel, change plans, medical problems, family problems -- for whatever reason. And cabins open up. This time, we didn't see any of that materialize. There literally was no fall-off.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1692

I know this does not help but it may shed light on this topic.

Beachchick--they gave us a generic keycard, with a cabin number assigned as 9999. Did the same with the other couple we met. When we got to the ship, the purser's desk TOOK those cards, so I have no idea whether they would have worked to purchase drinks or not. We did not give the porters our bags because we just had a rolly bag each and a computer bag, and had intended to just take them to the cabin ourselves. That was one of the worst things. During the whole 3 hours we sat there, RIGHT in front of the purser's desk, no one offered to take our bags and hold them, so we could go enjoy the ship. And we couldn't have a drink to calm our nerves, as we couldn't pay for it.. We took turns going to get a quick bite to eat--about 3:30--so we wouldn't have to haul the bags. The other couple with us gave their bags to the porters, and I guess they did get their bags eventually, as they weren't wearing the same clothes all weekend! :)

Thank you for filling in the details. I couldn't figure out how the cruise line could check you in without an actual cabin number. What a PITA for you during those 3 hours. I can't imagine that it would have been inconvenient or something for them to at least hold your bags for you so you could enjoy the ship, have a bite to eat, and sip a lovely beverage (maybe by the pool).

If that ever happens to you again (Heaven forbid) and if, by chance, we are on the ship with you, I will be more than happy to treat you to a round (or two) of drinks to get you through the stress. Man, not even being to order a drink! That's just wrong on so many levels. I'm glad things worked out though--even though the cruise line was clearly at fault.

beachchick

No, I do not work for NCL.

What I was pointing out is what I think many have missed. An earlier poster mentioned that NCL took a chance and overbooked, and it did not work this time.

Wrong. It did work out. These folks did get their cabin.

Many other are talking as if the OP got bumped and did not sail. They did sail. Not downplaying the 3 hours of stress that NCL put them through, but in the end, they did sail.

That's all.

If I were sitting there for 3 hours...oh, wait, I wouldn't be. I'd schedule an appointment to reconvene to discuss options AFTER they stored my baggage and I had lunch. Would I be peeved...yes. But the end result is that the cruise was taken...and for what, $500 for a balcony. What's the WORST that could have happened...a refund and a future free cruise? It's not the end of the world...3 hours of your life...taking turns eating...albeit stressed...but not the end of the world. Keep it in perspective...3 hours of waiting to still get what you paid for...by the way, did you end up with a BE cabin after all or an upgrade? Next time will certainly be better.

lvz2crz--whatever. I was not particularly rational in the situation. Looking at it from afar, you can say what you would have done, but you don't know, cause you weren't there. I told myself in my mind that I should walk around and enjoy the ship, but I could not make myself do it, as, if we weren't going to sail for sure, I just wanted to get the h*ll off and never see that ship again!!!

We got a BB cabin, which is theoretically an upgrade, although I believe it is exactly the same cabin as the BE guarantee which we booked, just a different location. The cabin was fine. If we had gotten it to begin with, I would have been very happy with it.

One thing which I don't think I mentioned before in this thread is that, when we got to our cabin, there were bags, MARKED FOR THAT CABIN, sitting outside the door. Obviously, those folks who were supposed to be in that cabin showed up. Otherwise, their luggage wouldn't be there. So, where'd they go?? I guess they got upgraded, which is fine. It certainly looked like there had never been anyone inside the cabin, which means that apparently they were upgraded on the dock. Since people are supposed to arrive at the pier by 3 PM, and it was 5 PM by the time we got to the cabin -- and the bags were already there -- that presumably means that the other folks had been upgraded quite a while before 5 PM. So, why take so long to put us into that cabin?? I got the distinct impression several times during the 3 hours that they didn't have the faintest idea who was in what cabin. At one point, our TA was talking to someone in reservations, who claimed that cabin number x was available. The lady at the front desk said "No, we checked and someone is in that cabin", as we were going to put you there before. How did the person GET into that cabin, unless NCL put them there??? No way to run a railroad..

Archived