Ruby Princess -what should we not miss?

We2Cruzers

Cookies and milk were being handed out poolside in the late afternoon on our recent Crown cruise, I'm sure the Ruby does the same. MUTS was good but crowded for popular movies in the evening (Indiana JOnes).

Our favorite pre-dinner drink place was Adagios (up on Deck 15 across from Sabatini's). They had neat stuffed olives and breadsticks as complimentary appetizers).

Here are my suggestions for don't miss on the Ruby:

1. MUTS - blankets and popcorn available

2. Champagne waterfall

3. Fettucine alfredo - delicious

4. Ice cream in the afternoon 3:30-4:30 if I remember correctly

5. Aft deck area outside the Caribe - wonderful view of the back of the ship

6. Piazza area for entertainment

7. Production shows

8. Any of the souffles

The Ruby is a beautiful ship and all of the crew we encountered were very helpful. The main negative was the long tender waits at Princess Cay and Grand Cayman and I thought the dining room breakfast menu was very limited compared to other cruise ships I have been on.

When you add up what everyone is saying the only "Don't miss" is:

Don't Miss the Ship !!! :D

Almost erverything said also applies to the Emerald Princess, where we would also add the Caribe Cafe. Later evening meals, snacks and desserts are great.

The food and service are tops. Especially if Generoso Mazzone is maitre'd. This is where Princess shines the most. As for the ship, you can see her from top to bottom here:

http://maritimemattersdecked.blogspot.com/2008/11/ruby-princess.html

From there, you can find another link to her christening and inaugural cruise, which has some insights on what life is like on board.

Peter

I'm both envious of and excited for you. We were on the December 13th sailing and had one of our very best cruises every. I agree with pretty much everything that's been said already, so won't belabor those points ... too much.

I do, however, want to add my feeling that Maitre 'd Generoso was just amazing; so warm and friendly and attentive and helpful. Also, I also highly recommend The Sanctuary for some quiet relaxation and Sabatinis for an absolutely amazing meal. Likewise, Adagio is perfect if you're looking for a quiet pre-dinner drinks (it's a bit off the beaten path, so doesn't seem to get a ton of foot traffic ... yet.) We also like the Wheelhouse quite a lot on all Grand Class ships, and we found the Ruby's Wheelhouse and its crew to be extra special -- that's where we tended to go before dinner (say hi to Carla and the gang for us if you go.) ;)

I do have two additional suggestions. If you think you're interested and don't mind an additional charge, I can highly recommend the Chef's Table and the Ultimate Ship Tour. Both are extaordinary experiences and more than worth the $75 and $150 per person (respectively) that they cost. However, they're both open to extremely limited numbers of passengers and both are done "by lottery", so if you sign up there is not necessarily any guarantee that you'll be selected. It's worth a shot, though, if you think you'd be interested. There are all kinds of posts on this board about both, and I would direct you to those if you want more information, or you can feel free to PM me and I'd be more than happy to describe the experiences.

In any event, I have no doubt that you are going to have an absolutely wonderful time. She is a beautiful ship with an outstanding crew. In fact, we had such a fantastic experience, we almost immediately booked another cruise on the Ruby for February 2010.

Bon Voyage! :D

Archived