Good tour if Hiking Dominica the previous day?

MandyGirl

I have read various reports from cruisers who did a half-day tour on Grenada after having spent a full day on Dominca the previous day. They said the landscape was the same and they were overall bored, less dramatic waterfalls, etc. If your cruise is Dominica for a full day of hiking followed by an abbreviated day on Grenada, is there a recommended tour to take?

Which ships stay overnight in Grenada? Or any other Caribbean Port? It would be really nice to have an evening in port. All of our stops leave by 5pm.:confused:

Not our's. :( We are in Dominica 7A-5P followed by Grenada the next day 7A-3:30P which is why we are just looking for a half-day tour in Grenada (what I referred to as an abreviated day since pax usually have to be onboard a half-hour prior to departure).

The Grenadines really are gorgeous, at least from what we saw of our land-vacation visit this summer to Bequia, St Vincent, and the Tobago Cays. This is our first trip to Grenada.

Any half-day tour suggestions? Some had said the topography was very similar to Dominica, which is why we are looking for a half-day Grenada tour that would be unique from the sights we see in Dominica the previous day.

One of Mandoo's tours would give you a wonderful tour of the island, without being too strenuous.

That is the one I had read somewhere that they were 'bored' and felt like they were seeing a lot of the same stuff they saw the previous day --- with the exception of the spices. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

we had the same concerns about touring these two islands back-to-back. so we have booked A & E tours for a 1/2 daytour called SPICY SCENES. it includes the spice and produce marke, the fort, laura's heb and spice garden, a local bar, and rum distillery. after that, we are heading to a local eatery called BOOTS CUISINE. on the way back to the ship we will check out the carenage area. the price for the tour is $30 p/p.

steve

Thanks for the info! We are in the same situation. Hiking in Dominica, then in Grenada from 7:00-2:00, a very short stay!

I've been looking at tours through Mandoo and Caribbean Horizons. Both come highly recommended. But with Mandoo, I don't really want to spend most of the day on a bus. So we are considering a private tour through Caribbean Horizons, but it's fairly spendy for just the 2 of us ($210).

I'll check out A&E tours now as well.

Has anyone just spent the day exploring St. Georges, the spice market, and then maybe heading to the beach?? That is our 3rd option... might be kind of relaxing!

Thanks for the info! We are in the same situation. Hiking in Dominica, then in Grenada from 7:00-2:00, a very short stay!

I've been looking at tours through Mandoo and Caribbean Horizons. Both come highly recommended. But with Mandoo, I don't really want to spend most of the day on a bus. So we are considering a private tour through Caribbean Horizons, but it's fairly spendy for just the 2 of us ($210).

I'll check out A&E tours now as well.

Has anyone just spent the day exploring St. Georges, the spice market, and then maybe heading to the beach?? That is our 3rd option... might be kind of relaxing!

Which tour thru Caribbean Horizons were you considering? We are still looking at this stop and currently have no definite plans... but we were leaning on option 3 you listed above...

Which tour thru Caribbean Horizons were you considering? We are still looking at this stop and currently have no definite plans... but we were leaning on option 3 you listed above...

The one through Caribbean Horizons is the "Spicy half-day tour". But I think as a private tour, they could modify it to our preferences.

I also emailed A&E Tours today and got a prompt reply. We're looking at the "Spicy Scenes" tour that goes from 9-12:30. It's about $30 pp, I think. Here's the link that describes the tour: http://grenadaguide.com/aetours/halfday.htm

Man... I'm really struggling with this one. I just DON'T know what to choose!! I am really interested in seeing the spice plantations and market, the rum industry, and a little bit of history and culture. I don't care so much about seeing the waterfalls and such, because we will have just done that on Dominica. But I also don't want to spend most of the day on a bus looking out the windows. Hmmmmm...

What to do???? :confused:

Man... I'm really struggling with this one. I just DON'T know what to choose!! I am really interested in seeing the spice plantations and market, the rum industry, and a little bit of history and culture. I don't care so much about seeing the waterfalls and such, because we will have just done that on Dominica. But I also don't want to spend most of the day on a bus looking out the windows. Hmmmmm...

What to do???? :confused:

That is our struggle as well.... :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in as someone else who is struggling with our itinerary in Grenada. We are also doing an all-day private hiking tour in Dominica the day before. Our time on Grenada is 7-3:30. I would like to see some of the island, but also get to the beach and relax. Any chance of a mini tour mid-morning, then be on a beach by noon? Right now I'm leaning toward the Aquarium Bar and Restaurant for lunch and Magazine Beach. Exactly how much time is spent on a bus if taking a tour?

Count me in as someone else who is struggling with our itinerary in Grenada. We are also doing an all-day private hiking tour in Dominica the day before. Our time on Grenada is 7-3:30. I would like to see some of the island, but also get to the beach and relax. Any chance of a mini tour mid-morning, then be on a beach by noon? Right now I'm leaning toward the Aquarium Bar and Restaurant for lunch and Magazine Beach. Exactly how much time is spent on a bus if taking a tour?

Several years ago we did Mandoo's Spice Tour, which is about a half day and asked him to add lunch and a couple hours at a beach in the afternoon. Had a great day! Most of the time is on the bus during the tour, with several stops and opportunities to get off. Mandoo is a wonderful guide, a treasure trove of information. We used him again this year, and all-day Northern Route tour (no beach time), and had another great day. Next year we're hiking with him, to Seven Sister Falls.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually looking forward to a relaxing day with Mandoo as we have very active excursions booked on our other 4 port days (not including our Segway tour in OSJ!). I am looking forward to the spice plantation and just seeing the beautiful scenery. Being from Arizona, two days of lush forest and waterfalls is not too much for me!:p

We have decided on just relaxing at Magazine Beach with lunch at Aquarium Restaurant. Will get to visit with a friend from school (K-12) who is living there now for her husband's medical school. Beach, relaxation, catching up with an old friend. :) Not really a tour, but enjoying a port of call.

Archived