Rookies prepare for first time aboard!

canadanewsman

What advice would you wished you had been given before taking your first cruise?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What advice would you wished you had been given before taking your first cruise?

• Better information from the cruise line
    • Better information on excursions and tour options

Hello folks. My partner Pam and I are hearing to the beautiful waters of the Caribbean on Jan 11, sailing aboard the Crown Princess.

There is a wealth of information here at Cruisecritic, but unfortunately we only just found this site and will explore it until we leave.

For other first timers, there is a great review section under each cruiseline and it lays out constructive information about the specific ship you will be on.

Nice work folks!.

I was wondering what advice would you wished you hhad been given before taking your first cruise?

Thanks and happy cruising.

Glenn

I am one of those people who reads everything they are given, so I've always been pretty content with the info the cruiseline provides on both the ship, the amenities and the excursions. However, we're not big excursion people so that rarely makes much difference to us.

We did find CC about two months before our first cruise so any questions I may have had were answered. Actually, I avoided getting all of the info here because I'm one of those people who likes surprises.

The first cruise is just fantastic. It was an absolute wonder for me. And every time we get on a ship I get that same feeling! Hope your first cruise is as good of an experience for you.

My advice: Plan on spending more money than you think you will! :p We really enjoyed our first cruise, and wish we had been a little more savy, but booked it last minute and didnt know about this site before hand. We now book our own excursions, (check out the port of call threads here for tips) make sure we look at the next days activities and try and figure out what we want to do so we don't miss out on anything we want to do, and are flexible about how we spend our time. Have a great trip and I hope you enjoy cruising as much as we do!

Fly in a day early. Seriously. Why start your vacation off having to deal with airports, crowded planes, delayed connections, and possibly missing the ship? Add that flight to your vacation plans and arrive at the port city a day early. I've done this for every cruise (even the ones I've only driven to) simply because it allows me to decompress the day before the cruise begins. I get a hotel near the port, have a relaxing dinner and go to bed early.

The next morning I'm up at 8, very light breakfast by 9 and out of the hotel by 10:30. Arrive at the port, check my luggage with the stevedores, literally walk through security and wait until about 11:30 or 12:00 when they usually start processing people. I'm usually within the first dozen people to board the ship (I've been first twice), head straight for the buffet and eat lunch. While I'm eating I'm studying the ship map which they'll hand you as you board the ship.

Lunch is done by 1, cabins are usually ready by then and we head for the cabin to drop off carryons. Out of my 6 cruises, on 5 I've had my checked luggage sitting either outside my door or my steward has already placed it inside the cabin by the time I reach my cabin at 1pm. The 6th cruise it arrived while we were exploring the cabin.

Then it's time to grab the camera and explore the ship. This is the PERFECT time to take those shipboard photos with no (or few) people in the picture. Plus, the ship isn't moving so there is less camera shake than when you're at sea. We usually spend about 2 hours exploring the ship then head back to the cabin about 3pm.

Because all of our luggage is already there we spend our time until muster unpacking our luggage. So we're already totally unpacked before the ship even sails. 3:30/4:00 is muster and when it's done it's time to head upstairs to the railing for sailaway (assuming a 5pm sailaway).

I'm fully relaxed, not rushed or trying to calm myself down because I didn't fly in the same day. So do yourself a favor and fly in a day early.

On the other end of the cruise, I recommend flying home the day AFTER the cruise. Because you fly in the day before you usually don't have much time to explore the port city, so we use disembarkation day as the city exploration day. This, too, makes disembarkation a much more pleasant and less stressful part of your trip. We aren't rushed to leave the ship and actually will stay onboard as long as we can!

We always make pre-arrangements with a shuttle to pick us up and take us to our hotel. We usually stay at the same hotel we stayed at pre-cruise. Then it's a simple matter of going out and doing whatever you want to do on the town. Next day you fly home. Again, you aren't stressed out about timing (can I get off the ship fast enough to catch my flight, etc.).

I don't simply look at it as a cruise, but as an extended pampering for me and my mom (my regular cruising buddy). We have a fantastic time, it's relaxing and we're never stressed out.

Whatever you decide, have a WONDERFUL cruise. There's no vacation quite like it and I know you're going to be O.A.T.C. (Openly Addicted To Cruising) once you've completed your first cruise.

Welcome aboard!

Theresa

Take advantage of the daily agenda that is provided in your stateroom! Be sure to keep an eye on the dining options. There will be a plethora of different options available and sometimes the best are tucked away in the corner of the ship and you may not find it until the last day of the cruise. Also, be sure to take advantage of the sit down dining throughout the day if you have the time. It's not just dinner that's served in the formal restaurants.

Spend a bit of time studying the deck plan of your ship before you board so you don't feel entirely lost once you are on board. We take a copy and study it whle flying to our port. Yes, you will still get lost a few times but so will everyone else;) but you'll still have a better chance of finding your way to your destination and not have that completely lost feeling.

If you choose to eat in the dinning room each night you can order more than one of each coarse. I often have more than one appetizer while my DH often orders two entries. Never be afriad to make a special request as if possible the waiters will always do their best to please you.

Try going to Tea one afternoon. Princess has a marvelous afternoon tea. The first time I said I wanted to go my DH went very reluctantly and had no intention of every going again. After that first time he was the one dragging me to tea every afternoon as he loved the pastries, scones and finger sandwiches.:)

The first show of the evening in the theater on Princess tends to be filled up quickly so if you wish to attend this show get there a min. of 20 minutes early.

Patience and a sense of humor are the best things you can take on a cruise with you. You will unfortunately likely run into some rude people and at some point you will have to wait in some lines. The law of averages says that at some point something won't be quite as good as you wish it to be but using that patience and sense of humor can make all the difference between making yourselves unhappy and enjoying every minute of your cruise.

...There is a wealth of information here at Cruisecritic, but unfortunately we only just found this site and will explore it until we leave.

For other first timers, there is a great review section under each cruiseline and it lays out constructive information about the specific ship you will be on.

Nice work folks!.

I was wondering what advice would you wished you had been given before taking your first cruise?

Thanks and happy cruising.

Glenn

Check out this section of Cruise Critic for additional ideas and info...

Resources for First Time Cruisers

Glenn,

We’ve been on the Crown twice – she is a lovely vessel.

I’d suggest you get a print out of your room charges from the purser’s desk every couple of days – just to make sure you are not surprised on day last.

I’d check out alternative eating options – and I mean the patisserie on the Crown – we sometimes had lunch there – and as I recall there is also an alternative buffet near the back of the ship – something like the International Buffet – they will have different options for your dining pleasure.

Remember that on the last night of your cruise, you need to have your luggage packed and sitting in the passageway by 9 or 10 PM, so remember to keep out clean socks, etc. for the trip home (:o speaking from personal experience here.) That large carry-on sure comes in handy at times like that.

Final piece of advice, let them know what you want and give them the opportunity to make you happy. Example – on out last cruise we mentioned to our waiter that in addition to butter with our rolls, we’d really enjoy some extra virgin olive oil, grated parmigiano cheese and maybe even some roasted garlic. So the next night it was waiting on the table for us, and we were asked if we were happy, and if we’d like that every night. (Yes & yes.)

Their job is to make you feel extra special – you just need you to provide some guidance – and of course a nice tip at the end and a rating of “excellent” on the survey card is all they ask.

Enjoy your first cruise – I trust you will want to return – as frequently as possible.

I think there is quite a lot of info on each lines websote about the tours available, and any additional info certainly can be found here....one of the things I would recommend is to do all your research prior to making the res so you dont get surprised aboard...ask questions and read the info thats out there

I sailed on the Crown last year. It's a beautiful ship. One of my favorite areas is the Aft Terrace Pool. It's at the back of the ship, an adult pool and Outriggers Bar and entrance to Cafe Caribe are right there too. It's a great place to sit in the evening after the show or to watch a spectular sunset. Also, don't forget to check out the International Cafe for delish pastries and some wonderful salads during lunch (some items like gelato, candy apples, chocolate fondue and plates in the evening do have a small fee but otherwise free--just ask). It's on Deck 5.

Have a great cruise!

Well, when I took my first cruise the internet wasn’t around. We did our research the old fashioned way, we visit the ships and read up on them. There certainly wasn’t the choices then that there are today. We started out with a family group and had so much fun that we never seemed to have been in need of anything. We took tours but I sure can’t remember how we did it.

That said, the one thing I really missed out on, even though by today’s standards are ship was tiny, was touring the ship. After we returned home I was looking at the layout on the ship and discovered there was a libarary and a doctor’s office. Wow! Who knew? We were on the old Pacific Princess and though entertainment was limited we met more crew and passengers then on the bigger ships. I always recommend to anyone on a ship for the first time to start at the top and walk each and every deck until they’ve seen the whole ship. That way they can pick the areas that they want to go back to.

Archived