Refund for Cruise Deposit Reduction?

Chelly

When I booked my cruise I paid a cruise deposit of $850. Now I see on HAL's website that the deposit has been reduced to $425. I'm wondering what other cruisers have done in this situation. I booked through a TA.

We booked 3 days before the promo was announced, and booked directly with HAL. I called, and they were able (with the help of another department) to honor the reduced deposit. I am expecting a refund on my credit card statement. Not sure how much weight they put on my having booked so VERY close to the promo start date.

• Administrators
When I booked my cruise I paid a cruise deposit of $850. Now I see on HAL's website that the deposit has been reduced to $425. I'm wondering what other cruisers have done in this situation. I booked through a TA.

Let your TA handle it for you. The bottom line is that a deposit (refundable unless your TA's policies say otherwise) is just partial payment for what will eventually be due. If you do follow through and take the cruise, it just means you'll owe less in the long run. If you decide not to take the cruise, unless you decide that at the last minute, it should be refundable.

I would just let it be. As mentioned, the larger the deposit, the less you owe at final payment time. At today's interest rates, you're not going to benefit from holding onto the money a little longer.

He's right, I called HAL all excited, because I thought our cruise would be 500 less. The nice lady explained it would be 500 less now, but in a month we'd still have to pay the 500$ A Bit confusing,:confused:I think!

You are lucky to get your deposits refunded.

In the UK, if we cancel, we lose all deposits paid whether we book through a TA or direct with the cruise line.

A while back, I dug into how it is that UK passengers at a minimum, lose their deposits if they cancel before final payment date, a practice quite different than in N.A. What I learned was that back when, this was how it was done by P&O and Cunard and the travel agency consortiums.

Over the years through mergers and acquisitions, it became necessary for other cruise lines to follow the precedent or risk that their cruises would not be promoted by U.K. travel agencies.

He's right, I called HAL all excited, because I thought our cruise would be 500 less. The nice lady explained it would be 500 less now, but in a month we'd still have to pay the 500$ A Bit confusing,:confused:I think!

A reduced deposit does not change the final price. Given the timing of your cruise, it does not make much difference.

Archived