looking for some good restaurants in nola

cruisingforsix

There are many good restaurants in New Orleans, in all styles and price levels. More info needed- How large is your group? Children? Will you be staying in or near the French Quarter, Warehouse District, Garden District? What type of food and ambience are you looking for? I'm a local and can give you some personal favorites. You can google the names; most if not all will have websites.

Sorry, I wasn't very specific. We would like some good seafood and some good local food . We have made a few reservations, luke, antoines, cafe amelie . Some for brunch some for dinner. I would like not to overpay for food that isn't worth it. We have read about so many places i think we are just geting more confused. we are staying near the french quarter, on common st. i believe. We would also like some fun nightspots with some good local music. This is our first trip to NOLA so we are trying to cram in as much as we can into a day and a half. Appreciate any help in this department you can give us.

Forgot the rest of our info. No children 4 adults my husband, sister and her husband.Thanks again.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great restaurant in N.O. so I can understand your confusion and desire for personal recommendations! ;)

We don't get over there as often as I'd like but on our last visit we ate at NOLA and it was an outstanding meal in a restaurant with exceptional service. My brother-in-law (from Northern CA) said it was one of his Top 10 best meals ever. I'm sure ALEBD will have many more recommendations but I just wanted to throw that one out there. Oh yeah...NOLA is in the quarter so an easy walk...on St. Louis between Decatur and Chartres.

Bon appetit!

thanks for the info .i think there will be more choices than we will have time eat. anyone ever eat at ugleish or something like that and are they even open .their website made it sound like they weren't open. also how about baccos?

There are most definitely more choices than you'll probably have time for...they do that on purpose so you'll have to go back to N.O. again and again. :)

I haven't heard of either of the places that you mentioned but I have heard good things about Irene's that curcurt spoke of in his/her post.

My way of thinking is that even a bad meal in N.O. is better than most meals you'll eat anywhere else so have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

My son (his request - age 12) we went to NOLA for New Year's Eve before our cruise. his friend and mom went to a sports themed restaurant because the menu didn't suit their tastes. It was our second time. It's one of his favorites. We ended up with 2 soups, 2 appetizers, 1 side dish and 2 desserts and were stuffed. My son is a big kid and we couldn't have eatten another bite (his feet are size 11.5 and he's 5'6'' and weighs 160- so we weren't skimping on food). The gumbo was the best we had - Don't go to the gumbo shop. It was terrible.

If we lived 5 hours from new orleans we'd drive just to go to NOLA - but 11-12 hours is too much. We planned the cruise so we could go back there.

We were there last weekend. We ate at Nola, which was fantastic, as usual. Also Arnauds, which we like better than Antoine's or Galatoire's. Brennan's is really good for dinner or brunch. Bayona is similar to Nola. It's really good. Susan Spicer is the chef. As previously mentioned, it's hard to find a bad meal in New Orleans! Have fun!

One of my personal favorites is Drago's. They have one downtown. Also, I recommend, Tommy's on Fulton St and Rio Del Mar on Fulton. Mother's for po boys, take the street car to midcity and eat at Mandina's.... There are TOO many to list. The website nomenu.com is a great tool. It is ran by local food critic Tom Fitzmorris. More ideas: Ralph's on the Park, Dickie Brennan's steak house, Muriel's, Irene's, Cafe Giovanni, Red Fish Grill.

OMG - someone actually slammed The Gumbo Shop. :eek: I have to pitch in and say that we go to NOLA every year and have been going for 10 years now. Gumbo Shop is our favorite - we eat there once if not twice. Don't be fooled - you don't have to have gumbo. Jambalaya, crawfish etouffee, shrimp remoulade. Great authentic Creole cuisine and reasonable prices. (Sorry - had to counteract the slam - doesn't make their opinion "wrong" or mine "right" but we've sent many people there and we discovered it from a local and I've NEVER seen anyone say anything negative.) It's in The Quarter on St Peter, a few blocks toward the river from Pat O's. Other great Quarter landmarks are Brennans for brunch, Court of Two Sisters for brunch and Desire for po boys, oysters, etc.

I really enjoyed NOLA and hope to return someday. I don't typically like to down a restaurant, but here goes. After reading many, many reviews and "must go" to opinions of the restaurant "Mothers", this was a definite for us. After waiting outside in the blazing heat for approximately 30-45 minutes we were seated. This is a no frills place in decor which isn't a problem, but the food was not worth more than a freebie. This was our major disappointment for NOLA. The gumbo my daughter got was unedible. Too many other places to choose from, wouldn't waste my time or money.

Enjoy NOLA, very fun place even if you are NOT a party animal!!

Would NOLA be ok for a 10 & 8 year old. We are only going to be in NO one night and I'm know my wife & I would like to eat somewhere with great food. I just want my kids to enjoy it also. Any other suggestions would be great. Wife loves italian, but the kids think it would be cool to eat at Emerils restaurant.

Would NOLA be ok for a 10 & 8 year old. We are only going to be in NO one night and I'm know my wife & I would like to eat somewhere with great food. I just want my kids to enjoy it also. Any other suggestions would be great. Wife loves italian, but the kids think it would be cool to eat at Emerils restaurant.

If they're adventurous eaters, sure...but it IS a bit pricey. Google "NOLA Restaurant" and you can go directly to the website and check out the menus...sans prices.

I agree that you should try to visit Mother's http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/

Also you can't miss beignets and coffee at Cafe Du Monde. There is one in the Riverwalk Mall but you need to go to the original near the square.

Another place we enjoy for a quick lunch is The French Market Cafe which is at the beginning of the shops leading to the market. There is a wonderful candy shop just past there as well where you can get pralines.

The very best restaurants in NOLA (FQ/CBD area) are:

Auguest

Stella!

However these are more eclectic style and less regional

Then if you want to spend less there are some very good options too..

KPauls and Couchon is great for trying Cajun food (really the only worthy choices in the city as this is NOT a cajun city its Creole)

Mr B's Bistro , MiLa, Cuvee, Emerils, Pelican Club , Muriels are all great too.

Brennans, Antoines and Broussards and Gallatoirs are the more traditional NOLA locations

Stay away from Court Of Two Sisters, Any Landry's or Bubba Gump place, Gumbo shop is very avg and not in the same category as the rest I listed but does offer more value. Central Grocery is in the French Market and may be open depending on the day you go.. Its home to the original Muffaleta so thats always worth trying.

The very best restaurants in NOLA (FQ/CBD area) are:

Auguest

Stella!

However these are more eclectic style and less regional

Then if you want to spend less there are some very good options too..

KPauls and Couchon is great for trying Cajun food (really the only worthy choices in the city as this is NOT a cajun city its Creole)

Mr B's Bistro , MiLa, Cuvee, Emerils, Pelican Club , Muriels are all great too.

Brennans, Antoines and Broussards and Gallatoirs are the more traditional NOLA locations

Stay away from Court Of Two Sisters, Any Landry's or Bubba Gump place, Gumbo shop is very avg and not in the same category as the rest I listed but does offer more value. Central Grocery is in the French Market and may be open depending on the day you go.. Its home to the original Muffaleta so thats always worth trying.

Are any of these good for kids? Trying to find a place with great food, but also something that will suit there tastes. My daughter 8, will try anything, but her 10 year old brother is a cheeseburger, noodles & butter kind of kid. Wife and I would love to eat somewhere nice. Do any restaurants have entertainment to keep them from slipping under the table if the meal goes a little long?

Archived