Anyone take a train (long distance) to cruise.

Gingee

We are kicking around taking a train from Indianapolis to New York. I haven't heard of anyone who has taken a cruise and taken a train instead of a plane. Anyone out there had experiences with Amtrak?

Thanks

Absolutely! I refuse to fly, so Amtrak has been great to get to my cruises. I just booked Amtrak again from Kansas City to California in March to board the Carnival Pride. I always look forward to the train (NEVER the plane!!)

We took Amtrak from Boston to Chicago once. Gosh, the cabins aboard Amtrak make the ones aboard ship look palacial! We also had trouble with the motion overnight... much more noticeable than on a cruise ship.

To each his/her own! but I don't think we'll ever do Amtrak long-distance again.

Gingee,

I took my FIRST train excursion this year (l;) ots of firsts . . . first train . . . first cruise . . . what's next:D ??) from Ashland, KY to Milwaukee. WI!! My 13 year old daughter and I LOVED it!! Of course . . . we were on the Cardinal which is well known for difficulties. I'd say that you'll be on a much nicer and bigger train than we were.

The motion didn't bother us at all!! Hopefully that's a good sign for our upcoming cruise too:p !! The Cardinal only serves "tray" meals but the larger, more frequented trains/routes have a chef :D with a full menu of choices.

Are you traveling coach or sleeper?? The standard sleepers are SMALL but . . . my daughter and I didn't have any trouble but . . . if I had it to do over I would have selected one of the larger "family" or "deluxe" sleepers (especially for 2 adults).

You'll LOVE the train experience!! If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer any for you!!

Kim

One thing if you do the train travel - make sure that you give yourself plenty of time (like getting into NYC 2 days early). The trains can run very late sometimes. Also if you can't go the sleeper route, look into see if your train has business class. It's usually not that much more and the seats are a bit more comfortable. The car is usually quieter and you get free non-alcoholic beverages. We've done several NYC to Toronto trips in business and have not minded it. Also spent two three day trips in a sleeper from Toronto to Vancouver and back. Nothing at all like a cabin on ship, but I slept like a log :).

We have taken the Southwest Chief. If you have a sleeper, all meals are included and the dining area has been the most pleasant surprise of all!! Just can't believe they can make that good of food on a train??? We have had the Family sleeper and a standard sleeper. Pretty expensive traveling, very tight quarters, icky bathrooms, but I love seeing the countryside, talking with other people, and being able to just relax, read, nap, see a movie while waiting to get to my destination. The first night trying to sleep is a bit hard to get used to......but, you will CRASH on the second night. We love it.......especially if you have a fear of flying like I do.

Being in Miami, we usually just drove to the port. However, for our last cruise, which sailed out of Cape Liberty NJ, we took Amtrak to get there and return (also spent a few weeks in NJ while we were up there). We’ve taken Amtrak up to the northeast several times before, but this was the first time we took it to get to a cruise. It was nice, as usual -- we had a compartment, so although very small, it was comfortable; and the food was, for the most part, better than usual. We never have a problem with the motion; we find it relaxing. BUT -- as Bigal says -- be sure to allow a lot of extra time. Don’t expect the train to arrive on time, because it most certainly won’t. Ours was 4-1/2 hours late going north and 3-1/2 hours late coming south; and we had one in the past that was 9 hours late; and sometimes they’re worse. Just allow yourself a couple of days extra, so you won’t have to worry about the time, and stay in a nice hotel near the port.

My fingers are crossed. I'm taking one train from Sacramento to Simi Valley to stay with a friend for a day, then a second train from Moorpark to San Diego. The train should be on time, otherwise I and several other people on the board would be unhappy. The train is expected to arrive in San Diego at 12:25. Me thinks more like 3 PM.

I have taken the train in Calif. going south many times. If you plan to arrive in San Diego at 12:25. .. I am fairly certain thats when you will get there. The trains in this area are very much on time. I am taking the train to my cruise in Dec. via Amtrak. Its nice because the ship and trains are only a couple of blocks apart.

When I booked my Amtrak travel/sleeper last week, Amtrak had a special that if you were taking the train to cruise on Carnival or RCCI, you got a special discount. This was fantastic for me, because the fare was nearly HALF what I paid last July when I took the same route/train to California. What a deal!!!!!!

Wow guys thanks for the information. I think Cardinal may be one of the trains we would have to use. Are they running specials now? I called a couple weeks ago and the discount was only l5 percent off for Carnival travelers. What is the refund policy (in case of change of plans)? I also remember that once I checked (first of the year) and they had buy one get the second a certain percentage off and the third one is free. There will be four of us.

My fingers are crossed. I'm taking one train from Sacramento to Simi Valley to stay with a friend for a day' date=' then a second train from Moorpark to San Diego. The train should be on time, otherwise I and several other people on the board would be unhappy. The train is expected to arrive in San Diego at 12:25. Me thinks more like 3 PM.[/quote']

I don't think I would ever take the train if I was on a deadline, I once took a train fron Davis Ca (15 miles west of Sacramento) to Reno a trip of not more than 150 miles, we left Davis on time and got to Reno over 3 hours late, we were stuck behind a train that had a big problem. another time I had to pick some one up at davis who was coming in from the east and the train was over 8 hours late due to snow conditions around Truckee, Amtrack is late more than on time in the winter time.

Bob

I think the Amtrak luggage limitation is more severe for coach than sleeper passengers. There is a limit on sleeper passengers, but it's high, as long as you check most luggage -- which you reallly need to do anyway, because the compartment space is limited. We checked two very large rolling suitcases, two stuffed-to-the-limit garmet bags, a wheelchair, and two smaller suitcases; and carried on a small rolling suitcase.

ciship: I am interested in taking Amtrak from Lawrence (neighbors), to LA for our cruise on the Summit to Hawaii in 06. I know it is a long way off, but plans are to get away from the Kansas winter, plus possibly a nice train ride.

When you say the bathrooms are, well, not good, what would that be? Are they like the airplane bathrooms?

Last train ride was from Houston to Chi many many years ago.

Grace...Jayhawk Country

GO JAYHAWKS!!

Yes Grace, the bathrooms are VERY similiar to the ones in airplanes. If you are on the lower level of the sleeper car you have the advantage of 5 or 6 bathrooms and a full size shower (upper level can use these also, but rarely come down to the lower level to do it) Lower level sleeper also has the huge storage area for luggage which is handy b/c you always have access to your luggage easily if you need something. The lower level also has the advantage of not having all the "passer by" traffic and noise going up and down the aisles. The DOWNside to being on the lower level is that you don't have the views from your sleeper car that you do on the upper level.

The upper level has the views and easy access to the dining car, but there is only one bathroom and you have to go downstairs to shower and get to your luggage. You also have more noise and the people constantly passing by.

I have been booked on both upper and lower. Right now I am booked on upper for my trip to CA in March, but I am thinking heavily about calling and changing it to the lower if anything is available. We can always go up to the lounge/observation car if we want to see the views or hear about history from the guides.

Let me know if you have any other questions....glad to help.

ciship

Ciship: actually, we were thinking of one of the rooms that have the bathroom right in the room. I know they are expensive, but if we do it, we need to have our own bathroom. I was thinking too, about a train trip to Santa Fe, in conjunction with the return trip from LA. Then it's on to Jawhawk land. We have never been to Santa Fe, (all over the world but not there!) and wondering too about the weather there in Feb.

Grace

I can only speak for the Southwest Chief. The dining car with the fresh, clean white tablecloths is probably the only place I can say that it looks/feels somewhat clean.....other than that, I come prepared with Lysol wipes for the bathrooms, spray for the sleeper compartment and shower, and hand santizer to be applied at all times!!! My son and I got sick on our last journey (REALLY sick!) and I was really cautious during the train trip, but we both picked something gosh awful up unfortunately.

Archived