Off shore or boat trip

5waldos

We will be in Cozumel and in Grand Cayman late in March. We thought we would do one boat trip and one off shore day snorkeling but wonder if anyone can make recommendations as to which we should do where? And if the water will be reasonably warm at that time. I am assuming that the weather will be fine (always a risk but nevermind). Can anyone help me make a decision?

We prefer by boat. We have been on a few that take you to different places and give you some time at each. We love that. In Barbados we snorkeled with sea turtles they were huge! then stopped by a sunken ship, little time on the beach and snorkeling from shore. It was fantastic.

I did some great shore snorkeling off of Grand Cayman's 7 mile beach in a lagoon across the street from Indies Suites. I hear that hotel is now used for student housing for med students.

In Cozumel the best shore snorkeling is claimed to be at Chankanaab Park. There are plenty of operators to choose from for glass bottomed boats and snorkel boats. Lots of them have bars on boat as well.

We liked our trips with the Fury Catamarans. http://furycozumel.com/

We also liked the Tucan Sailing trip offered by www.cozumelsailing.com as they leave at 9:00 from the north end of the Island they don't fit many cruise schedules.

In Cozumel, I always dive on the UCab III with Tony. However in Cayman, I've done it all for years, and one of the best series of dives I've had is when my wife and I went over to Eden Rock. Take a right at the tender dock, walk along the road, Eden Rock is a couple of blocks down on the right. Rent the gear you need and a locker for your clothes, walk maybe 100' to the step in, and snorkel out to some great diving in the park. Just like it used to be 35 years ago.;)

Archived