paying cash toward onboard acct on pearl

Coco421

Ultimately...I would LOVE to just give them my debit card at the beginning and be done with it! My daily purchase amount is $7500.00 with my bank,so there's no problem there. And I would be sure to have plenty in my bank account to cover what I "actually" charge on board....but there's the issue with these "astronomical" holds that I have heard about and that's my fear with the debit card.

If you daily limit is $7,500.00 then you will have no problem. (other than I would like to cruise with you!). Then again, I assume anything above your balance is a "loan" from the bank??

Lots of numbers get thrown around, but the highest I have ever seen has been a few hundred. No idea how much you have available in your checking account.

Hi garycarla.....trust me,I have no idea why my daily purchase limit is so high....I have only been with the bank a few months! So I get it now....they swipe my card,then nothing gets charged till the last night.

I have always settled my account with cash at the end of the cruise,so I will do the same this time. And this will be the longest cruise (14) days that I will be on,so I have to kind of "keep an eye" on my expenses....those fruity drinks add up! And over $500 will go automatically to service charges...so I have to kind of budget the rest. I am very "thrifty" and am by no means "wealthy"! I never leave the cruise charges on my credit card....always pay it off in cash. I was just concerned about the service charges....and how they did that but if nothing gets charged till the end,looks like I have "no worries"!

Also just remember they do check everyday with the card to make sure funds are still there and that the credit card won't be declined. If you had a card with $500 and were planning on having a bill of $1,000 and paying $501 in cash on the last night the card will be declined during the week.

OK. I began reading this thread believing I knew the answers to this, and now I am confused.

I use a credit card for my on board expenses including shore excursions, and as has been said, they swipe it as you board and do not actually "charge" the card until you settle the final bill at the end of the cruise.

Fine.

But I also believe here is a "hold" of maybe $500 against the card at least for a few days. So I guess the question is, if you have a $1,000 credit limit on your card, and you board with $600 already charged against it [but not due till the following month], what would happen when they swipe the card?

Would it be declined because the "hold" plus already accued charges exceed the credit limit?

But I also believe here is a "hold" of maybe $500 against the card at least for a few days. So I guess the question is, if you have a $1,000 credit limit on your card, and you board with $600 already charged against it [but not due till the following month], what would happen when they swipe the card?

Would it be declined because the "hold" plus already accued charges exceed the credit limit?

They only put holds on the debit cards. They just check the Credit cards to make sure the charges will go through but don't block any funds.

Paging Cello8619!

...So I guess the question is, if you have a $1,000 credit limit on your card, and you board with $600 already charged against it [but not due till the following month], what would happen when they swipe the card?....

If you owe $600 and charge $401, you do know that you will probably get hit with an overdraft fee of $29. and they may well raise your interest rate?

A card with only $1000 limit is scary. But, better than no credit card, for sure. As to the $600 not due til next month, they do not care when it is due. A balance is a balance.

Ultimately...I would LOVE to just give them my debit card at the beginning and be done with it! My daily purchase amount is $7500.00 with my bank,so there's no problem there. And I would be sure to have plenty in my bank account to cover what I "actually" charge on board....but there's the issue with these "astronomical" holds that I have heard about and that's my fear with the debit card.

YES!!! that's what I would want to do. Very little cash. I don't need cash except for tips and incidentals. I will NOT be buying water, drinks, etc.

Wow. I came back to edit my post, and I'm not able to already..just posted not long ago, but anyway...

I changed my mind. I want to use Amercan Express, and I have no idea of my limit. It's a Credit Card. I HATE charging things, so I will do this as a way of not going over too badly on stuff :p Now, as I understand it, there's no limit on this right? I can use it without worrying about limits or holds? This whole thread is confusing me *holds head because it hurts*

This topic interests me not because of any need on MY part, but on my brother's part. My husband and I plan to put our credit card down for our own accounts, but my brother is coming along, and really cruisin' on a budget. Basically, we told him we are giving him $100 cash to put towards his account... but that's probably all that will be there, as he really doesn't have anything to put toward it himself, and we already agreed to "pick up the tab" when he's with us (dinner, a drink now and then, etc.). He's not a gambler or a drinker... so he should be fine on that budget, as we already paid for his excursion with us, too.

Is there a minimum you have to put down? Are they going to make me "back it up" with a credit card, even if we know he won't go over $100? I will if I have to... but if he dips into it, he's payin' me back! LOL!

On our last cruise we had our 20 year old with us. In order to limit spending we used cash (travelers checks actually). We had already decided on shore excursions so we banked enough to cover that in the on board account and a small amount for misc charges. It was a bit of a hassle checking the balance often, but helped our DD understand how quickly money disappears!

This topic interests me not because of any need on MY part, but on my brother's part. My husband and I plan to put our credit card down for our own accounts, but my brother is coming along, and really cruisin' on a budget. Basically, we told him we are giving him $100 cash to put towards his account... but that's probably all that will be there, as he really doesn't have anything to put toward it himself, and we already agreed to "pick up the tab" when he's with us (dinner, a drink now and then, etc.). He's not a gambler or a drinker... so he should be fine on that budget, as we already paid for his excursion with us, too.

Is there a minimum you have to put down? Are they going to make me "back it up" with a credit card, even if we know he won't go over $100? I will if I have to... but if he dips into it, he's payin' me back! LOL!

There really is no minimum (just to cover the service charges) but as soon as he hits that $100 mark his account will be turned off and a note will be dropped off saying he needs another payment option. If its a 7 day cruise then the service charges will be $84 so as long as he doesn't spend over $16 on top of that he will be fine.

[quote name='Traveller20074']About the American Express...

??? You have me curious! Will I be able to use my Costco one?[/quote]

I was just wondering because I thought that maybe some Amex cards don't have the unlimited spending, or the no pre set limit as they call it. I'm not really sure though. The ship will accept it though!

[quote name='ohioNCLcruiser']There really is no minimum (just to cover the service charges) but as soon as he hits that $100 mark his account will be turned off and a note will be dropped off saying he needs another payment option. If its a 7 day cruise then the service charges will be $84 so as long as he doesn't spend over $16 on top of that he will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It's only a 5-day, and we're apparently also getting a credit because we were initially charged a fuel surcharge when we booked in May. Plus we paid the taxes and gratuities already. It's a charter, so some things are different than your average cruise. Makes it confusing when following threads here sometimes, but I deal with it. LOL!

I'm glad there's no minimum. That helps a LOT. I think Carnival had a minimum of $250, if I recall correctly...

Hi Everyone,
I'm back,sorry I had to disappear for a while!
garycarla......ultimately I would like to use my cc to check in (only has $500 limit),then pay cash at the end of the cruise.

ohionclcruiser....you confused me just a little....first you said they only put holds on debit cards,then you say they check every night that your credit card has availability,if not,they decline your card during the week?
do they check your "credit card" during the week......I plan on spending "way" more than $500 for 14 days

[quote name='drm93']Hi Everyone,
I'm back,sorry I had to disappear for a while!
garycarla......ultimately I would like to use my cc to check in (only has $500 limit),then pay cash at the end of the cruise.

ohionclcruiser....you confused me just a little....first you said they only put holds on debit cards,then you say they check every night that your credit card has availability,if not,they decline your card during the week?
do they check your "credit card" during the week......I plan on spending "way" more than $500 for 14 days[/quote]

Hi,
What you are going to have to do is add cash several times during the 14 days so your bill never goes above $500. They don't "hold" funds on the CC but they check to make sure you don't go over a limit. NCL would call the CC company and ask "is Mrs. X cleared for $499?" and they would say yes. If NCL called and said "Is Mrs. X cleared for $3,000?" they would say no. Just keep adding cash or travelers checks to your account at the reception desk during the cruise.

thanks Ohio.......I guess I better just give them the cc at check-in then give them a "chunk" of cash when we get onboard,I think that's the safest way to do it. Then just keep an eye on our onboard account. The service charges get added on each night right...not as a "lump sum" amount at the beginning?

[quote name='drm93']thanks Ohio.......I guess I better just give them the cc at check-in then give them a "chunk" of cash when we get onboard,I think that's the safest way to do it. Then just keep an eye on our onboard account. The service charges get added on each night right...not as a "lump sum" amount at the beginning?[/quote]

Correct they add them as each day goes on.

Archived