choices! Which of these would you choose with young kids

whival

Hi all,

This is our second family cruise and our first time to Mexico. We're going on the Norwegian Star from March 28 - April 4 and stopping in Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. Our children are 4 and 6 years old.

I've been trolling the boards (love this site) and would love your opinion to help us decide our excursions. BTW - I should mention, the kids will have lifejackets and we're Canadians who swim in lakes with snow run off from the mountains, so I think the kids will be okay with chilly water but I do want them to have water time (whether in a pool or on the beach).

Cabo - Boat Tour to the Land's End and then a stop on Lover's Beach OR should we just do the Land's End Tour and then hit a beach close to the port?

Mazatlan - El Cid (Gold Zone) OR Stone Island Getaway

PV - Ok, this is a tough one! Sea Life Park (slides and the Dolphin Encounter) OR the Pirate Ship OR Caletas (with Sea Lion encounter). BTW - We thought of doing the Pirate Ship at night but we read the night excursion was more for adults.

I'd really love some opinions from you experienced Mexican Cruisers.

Ciao

Welcome Whival! Glad to see you have joined our roll call too. I am so excited. I can't really offer much in the wsay of recommendations though. This is our first cruise and I have been reading and learning as much as I can. My kids are a couple of years older than yours (9 and 10) but I will share what we are planning (just faqiar notice so you don't think we are tailing you in all the ports once we get there LOL)

Cabo - hire a water taxi in port to take us out to Lands End for a tour and then to Medano Beach.

Mazatlan - Stone Island on our own and then to Golden Zone for a bit of shopping if time permits.

PV - we are scheduled for Sea Life Park and the dolphin encounter.

We went to those ports last month with our 1 1/2 year old... can't comment on PV since we stayed on ship and grandparents watched DS in Cabo.

I can recommend doing Stone Island on your own. We navigated it all just fine even with our son. (Although, the stroller was a huge hassle on the beach, but that's another story and shouldn't be an issue for you given ages....) Water temp was fine in December - cool, but not icy - and it was a lovely beach and atmosphere. The locals were sooooo nice. The vendors were really a pain, however, so if that will bother you, would suggest camping out at Molokay's since they have a roped off area where vendors are prohibited. (scoop on all the restaurants can be found on this site.)

We're looking at the Sea Life Park dolphin encounter. It doesn't look like there is an age minimum and you get into the water slides for free! BTW - Caletas has a sea lion encounter that only requires you to be 4 and above.

Hi there- we will be on the star a week before you. Which Dolphin program were you looking at- it seens like there are several. the royal one is age 8 and up. We are going with a 4, 6 and a baby. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

cabo, lovers beach is neat for kids, as there is a bay side and a ocean side.

mazatlan, golden triangle is boring for kids shopping, el cid is a hotel (not all that nice), if they like pool and beach play. i think the island would be more fun

everyone loves the dolphin tours, although small kids may be excluded from swimming with them, i think pirates would be better

everyone loves the dolphin tours, although small kids may be excluded from swimming with them, i think pirates would be better

Ok, Lover's Beach it is! And I've been talked into Stone Island. Thanks - I was leaning towards El Cid. These boards are great.

Still unsure about PV. We were thinking of Sea Life Park mainly for the water slides. Does anyone kinow if they are super fun for kids?

Justine

Hey, I am just quick posting about the pirate ship in PV. We went about a year ago with our 11 year old son, and our whole family loved it so much, we are all doing it again in 2 weeks when we go back to PV. It is an authentic ship, they let you "help" raise the sails, have a great show complete with pyrotachnics etc. They tender you over to a very private beach area, and all the activities are free, banana boats, "pirate treasure hunt" for the younger kids etc. They are REALLY did friendly, the food is great too. They then take you for a scenic cruise back to the harbor, right next to the cruise ships. Like I said, I can't recommend it enough! This time we are going with my cousin and her two girls (7 and 9), but it is fun for kids of all ages (my hubbie is their # 1 fan!) We booked privately through a third party vendor instead of our cruise line and we are saving a bundle.

Now, just another note, we have also swam with the dolphind in Cozumel which was an experience of a lifetime, but it is definately for older kids. The younger ones can only do an experience, which is nice, but not as interactive, and in my mind not worth the money UNLESS this is the ONLY exposure to dolphins you think you will ever have.

Hope this helps!

Hey, I am just quick posting about the pirate ship in PV. We went about a year ago with our 11 year old son, and our whole family loved it so much, we are all doing it again in 2 weeks when we go back to PV. It is an authentic ship, they let you "help" raise the sails, have a great show complete with pyrotachnics etc. They tender you over to a very private beach area, and all the activities are free, banana boats, "pirate treasure hunt" for the younger kids etc. They are REALLY did friendly, the food is great too. They then take you for a scenic cruise back to the harbor, right next to the cruise ships. Like I said, I can't recommend it enough! This time we are going with my cousin and her two girls (7 and 9), but it is fun for kids of all ages (my hubbie is their # 1 fan!) We booked privately through a third party vendor instead of our cruise line and we are saving a bundle.

Now, just another note, we have also swam with the dolphind in Cozumel which was an experience of a lifetime, but it is definately for older kids. The younger ones can only do an experience, which is nice, but not as interactive, and in my mind not worth the money UNLESS this is the ONLY exposure to dolphins you think you will ever have.

Hope this helps!

Good to know! BTW - Did you book through the cruise ship or on your own?

Justine

We did these ports last March with children age 6 and 8. In Mazatlan we took booked a tour to Stone Island, not through the ship, but through some company I found on the boards. Great deal and lots of fun, the kids loved it, except the little one got a little scaredon the boat trip back in the afternoon.

Puerto Vallarta we did Sea Life Park and they both loved it. The 8 year old did the dolphin swim with her dad, me and my 6 year old played in the water and did the lazy river and little kids area as she is a little scared of big slides, etc. We had a great day. Again, didn't book through the ship, but directly through Sea Life Park, much cheaper. You just have to be willing to find taxi's on your own, but not a big deal. Just walk out of the terminal and start asking prices, venture down the road until someone is willing to give you a cheaper price. Once there they will call you a taxi to go back, just tell them what you are paying them to get back, should be the same as what you paid to there.

Cabo: Left the kids on the ship as I wasn't sure about having them tender and water taxi to the beach. Thank god we left them on the ship. Had a great time, but Medano Beach is not for children.

Cabo - Boat Tour to the Land's End and then a stop on Lover's Beach OR should we just do the Land's End Tour and then hit a beach close to the port?

Ciao

If you get off the water taxi anywhere, you will have to jump off the boat in a few feet of water. Lover's beach is the closest beach to the tender dock but there are no facilites there at all, no bathrooms, nothing. I would take the tour and have the driver drop you at Medano beach which is where all the resorts/bars/restaurants/water sports are. Then you could either take another water taxi or a regular taxi or walk back to town and to the tender dock.

pjinaz - You said Medano Beach is not for children? Can you elaborate? Is it that there are not enough activities for them or is there too much "adult" activities that they shouldn't be seeing?

There are a few bars that cater to the spring break type crowd but Medano beach is certainly ok for kids! There are plenty of quiet places that you can go. Medano is the only beach with any activities at all so if you don't go there, there isn't another beach to go to. Try the Sandbar and Tabascos- those 2 spots are really laid back and have great food and drinks. You can spend the day there using their lounge chairs and swimming in the water as long as you are eating and drinking. There are hundreds of kids on the beach every day!

Regarding Medano Beach

I think it may be okay for children in the morning, but I would clear out around noon. When we went last year, the morning was fine, but more vendors than I have seen anywere and I have been too lots of Mexican beaches, but these vendors were AGRESSIVE, might freak kids out. But then around noon the party really starts. I had a great time, but there were so many drunk people, including myself, that I don't think its a good place for kids. Also, lots of dj's at the different clubs/restaurants up and down the beach, very loud, tequila shooters, drinking contests, other contests that would be too sexual for little kids to see, college age kids getting a little too close with one another. Great for adults, but I was so glad I left my 6 and 8 year olds at the time on the boat.

Regarding Medano Beach

I think it may be okay for children in the morning, but I would clear out around noon. When we went last year, the morning was fine, but more vendors than I have seen anywere and I have been too lots of Mexican beaches, but these vendors were AGRESSIVE, might freak kids out. But then around noon the party really starts. I had a great time, but there were so many drunk people, including myself, that I don't think its a good place for kids. Also, lots of dj's at the different clubs/restaurants up and down the beach, very loud, tequila shooters, drinking contests, other contests that would be too sexual for little kids to see, college age kids getting a little too close with one another. Great for adults, but I was so glad I left my 6 and 8 year olds at the time on the boat.

Interesting, we're thinking of doing an excursion with Norwegian that will take us to the Arch and then a Beach Club. I phoned Norwegian and the the Beach Club is Baja Cantina Beach Club. My understanding is that it's private, but I'd love to confirm this - especially as the reason for booking this over-price excursion would be that we wouldn't have to worry about vendors or yahoos... and if the water is cold we can use the Beach Club's pools.

Any info on this Club would be greatly appreciated!

Justine

Archived