Did I make the right decision changing from BA midship to AF aft?

Britt23

I just changed my reservation yesterday from a BA midship to an AF aft (11156) on the Pearl. With the additional promo codes it cost me only an additional $50 for the entire week. (Balcony to mini suite)

I'm just not sure about the aft location. I've read so many good posts regarding view, soothing wake sound, etc. but I would appreciate any comments from more experienced cruisers. I know that mbisson had that same room from reading past posts so maybe I'll hear back.

One other question I had was that the balcony seems a bit small and only holds 2 chairs and a small table. Since there are only two of us that should be adequate. What do you think?

I'm just not sure about the aft location.

One other question I had was that the balcony seems a bit small and only holds 2 chairs and a small table.

I think you got a great deal on your upgrade.

The aft of the ship is my absolute favorite. The only downfall I noted was some occasional soot from the stacks.

As for the balcony size, the aft tends to have somewhat larger balconies depending on which deck, but the BA wouldn't offer anything more than what you described either.

Besides, the additional space in an AF will make you more comfortable. So be happy! You made a great choice!

I'm getting ready to book this same location on the Gem. We will be traveling with our 3 and 4.5 year old daughters so the extra space is needed (wish we could afford that AB!)

Anyway, is there a reason to book that middle 11156 over one on the end? I can't decide if there is any reason one is better than the other. I tend to over-analyze these decisions...

Also, are all the aft AFs rearranged to have the bed by the door to the balcony? I also heard that there is no curtain between bed and couch in the aft location. And, I want to make sure the sofa is convertible for my girls to sleep on.

Thanks so much!!

angie

We only sail in aft cabins and book based on their availability. They are peaceful, great soothing sound of the wake, wonderful views, etc. AND, we have never had a soot problem. Balconies tend to be a bit bigger (depending on deck) and we have never had a noise issue from above. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and you got a great deal.

I'm getting ready to book this same location on the Gem. We will be traveling with our 3 and 4.5 year old daughters so the extra space is needed (wish we could afford that AB!)

Anyway, is there a reason to book that middle 11156 over one on the end? I can't decide if there is any reason one is better than the other. I tend to over-analyze these decisions...

Also, are all the aft AFs rearranged to have the bed by the door to the balcony? I also heard that there is no curtain between bed and couch in the aft location. And, I want to make sure the sofa is convertible for my girls to sleep on.

Thanks so much!!

angie

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I'm now much more excited about the aft cabin. A couple of the aft cabins are designated for handicap persons so they are a bit larger, but I wouldn't dream of asking for one if its not needed by anyone in my room.

Some of the afts are arranaged differently from what I've been reading on these posts. The bed is either near the outside door or closer to the inside door. Not sure why.

Thanks so much!!

angie

It's a absolutely GREAT move! I was in 11154 last month and there was no soot problems to speak of, you hear some noice if you're in the balcony from the great outdoors, but it didn't even both me at all.

Not all the aft AFs have the bed closer to the balcony, 11154 on the Pearl had the bed closer to the bathroom, as well as a certain. This is the layout I prefer.

I am in a BA aft and if a AF aft opened I would jump on it. The difference in price is ONLY $30 pp, but no AF afts are open. So I would rather stay in my BA aft then go to any AF. You went to a AF aft! GREAT move!

What deck is your BA in? If it's a deck 10 BA I would definitely keep the BA over the aft AF. The deck 10 BAs have HUGE balconies, and they're a bit exposed so you get the sun as well.

I loved the aft AF, but would choose a deck 10 BA over the AF anyday. I would hate to lose the curtain though.

Archived