Nassau...Anything off the beaten path? Scubagirl might you help me?

Sparkyboi

Ok, so i know this may be a strange question to ask, espically about the small islands of the bahamas, but worth a shot.

Is there anything not so touristy to do in nassau? I am all baout meeting new people, mingling with locals, seeing amazing things, such as everyday life, just stuff off the beaten path that the other 1500 passengers will not necessarily be doing.

Any ideas?

i know it will be hard in a place like nassau, but i have head of this local fish fru place just below the paradise island bridge, across from the Montanas that is suppose to be AMAZING, total a local's place...my friend who is dating a bahamian guy told me about it...

Thanks for any help..

Ok, so i know this may be a strange question to ask, espically about the small islands of the bahamas, but worth a shot.

Is there anything not so touristy to do in nassau? I am all baout meeting new people, mingling with locals, seeing amazing things, such as everyday life, just stuff off the beaten path that the other 1500 passengers will not necessarily be doing.

Any ideas?

i know it will be hard in a place like nassau, but i have head of this local fish fru place just below the paradise island bridge, across from the Montanas that is suppose to be AMAZING, total a local's place...my friend who is dating a bahamian guy told me about it...

Thanks for any help..

The place under the paradise Island bridge is Potters Cay. It's a row of fish shacks. Very busy after work. Not so much during the daytime.

Arawak Cay's Fish Fry is west of downtown, about 1/2 mile outside of town. Again, during the daytime, there's not much going on . Locals will pick up lunch. (and you can too.. ) Weekend nites there's music and socializing.

Depending on the amount of time you have at port and the day of the week.. the people to people program might be for you.

Or sunday mass if your around for it.

Check the calendars of events on websites like

http://www.whatsonbahamas.com/calendar.php?cmd=view&view=2

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/calendar/month.php?date=20090201

or check the regatta schedule and see if something is going on around town. (your bahamian friend can help also).

http://www.regattabahamas.com (dates not posted yet for the season).

For a drink.. grab a ferry to Paradise Island and head to the Green Parrot at the Hurricane hole marina. Usually locals and workers hang out there.. not too many tourists.

www.greenparrotbar.com

There's also the cricket club.. not sure about their schedules either.

There is arestaurant about a mile west of Cable Beach, which can be reached by bus, along West Bay Street. They are famous for their banana daiquiris and their conch items. My husband and I rollerbladed here from Cable Beach a few years back and we loved the atmosphere; very relaxing and away from the cruise ship crowds. Here is a link to their website:

www.travellersrestbs.com

The restaurant is also near Love Beach, which has some nice snorkeling and wonderful views.

Have fun,

Andrea:)

Archived