First Cruise with Kids NCL

ilovethesun

I just booked our first cruise with our kids on NCL's Gem and would love to have any info you can offer about the kids' programs. Their website mentions family events and I'm really interested in these as well. Would love any/all info you can share!

Our kids are 3 and 4.

Thanks!

angie

We have the exact same question!

We just registered here to research taking a family cruise with our two sets of twin girls aged 3 and 4, so obviously, the quality of the kids program and any tips for cruising with kids would be great.

We've been looking at NCL as well because formal dining with our four toddlers would just be stressful. Not what you want out of a vacation.

We already know we have to book two cabins for a family of six, but luckily we've got a set of grandparents who are very interested in going with us, so we'll only have to pay our kid's fare, nor worry about sleeping apart with two girls to a cabin.

We're looking for Dec. of 09 as our target date, and doing the Caribbean, Bahamas etc. .

We were on the NCL Gem last March with our two children (two girls 3 and 6 at the time). The girls loved the kids club. I was a little nervous that they wouldn't want to go since they were in separate age groups, but we went for sign up the first day, and they would beg me to go!

I had to argue with them to eat with us in the evenings since they wanted to go to the club. The workers there were all great. The family activities that we had on our cruise were pizza making contest and scavenger hunt. I believe there were others, but these are the two that we attended. Both were great and the kids still talk about it.

The only issue I can think of is that my younger DD was afraid to go to the washroom by herself since the doors of the stalls are heavy and slam shut. The workers are not allowed to bring the children to the washroom, so I was called. No biggy for me. I just told them to call her older sister to help her when she needed to go.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Grace

I have no personal experience of cruising with NCL with kids.

I am wondering, how did the freestyle eating work for those with kids?

When my parents went (just them, no kids), they said they like to eat early and it seemed a mass amount of people ate then too and lines were long to eat.

They said they thought the meals on NCL took longer than their Carnival and Royal cruises prior.

So whats you experienced parents thoughts on that?

I have no personal experience of cruising with NCL with kids.

I am wondering, how did the freestyle eating work for those with kids?

When my parents went (just them, no kids), they said they like to eat early and it seemed a mass amount of people ate then too and lines were long to eat.

They said they thought the meals on NCL took longer than their Carnival and Royal cruises prior.

So whats you experienced parents thoughts on that?

The dining rooms seem to be really busy at around 7pm. Since we were on vacation, we tended to eat later than usual. On the Gem last year, we would show up and sometimes the dining rooms had 30-40 min. waits. We couldn't wait this long and would end up at one of the pay restaurants.

We are going to try to change our schedule next time around and try to dine earlier, or make sure that we make reservations if we can...

Grace

We have 2 kids (5 and 10 now). And, Freestyle is one of the main reasons why we sail with NCL. It works out great. We typically eat later at home and earlier on a cruise. We've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for dinner at the main restaurants. Freestyle works well because I can't guarantee that we will ALL be ready to eat at a specific time. IMO, Freestyle works better with kids than traditional dining.

We have 2 kids (5 and 10 now). And, Freestyle is one of the main reasons why we sail with NCL. It works out great. We typically eat later at home and earlier on a cruise. We've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for dinner at the main restaurants. Freestyle works well because I can't guarantee that we will ALL be ready to eat at a specific time. IMO, Freestyle works better with kids than traditional dining.

Agreed! We've been on two NCL cruises with the kids. We always tried to eat before 7pm and never had to wait more than 5 minutes. Most nights there was no wait at all. From start to finish dinners usually ranged from 45 minutes to an hour. Service was efficient but never felt rushed. On our last cruise we were with a group of 11 and even then we never had a problem getting seated! The flexibility Freestyle dining offers is priceless when cruising with the kids! For example, on our last cruise we wanted to head over to the Atlantis at 7pm so we ate right a 5:30pm. The next evening DH and I wanted to eat later, so we fed the kids at the buffet, dropped them off at the crew, and headed to dinner at 7:30. Another night DH and I ate at Cagney's and my MIL and FIL took the kids to the DR at around 6:30pm. I love not being locked into one specific time, especially while in port!

To the OP: Your children are the perfect age to enjoy the kid's crew. They will have a blast! Throughout the week activities range from arts and crafts, to theme parties, to face painting, to cookies with the Captain! Family activities are scheduled throughout the week. Some activities include pizza making, wii tournaments, Bingo, free play, etc.

Let me know if you have any more questions:)

We just got off the Jewel Fiday with our four kids. We have a DD-4, DS-6 and twin sons that are 8. So we had experience this time with the 2-5 group and the 6-9 group. The kids loved the camps. Our daughter had a Dora night, Blue's Clues night, and many other fun activites. The boys had a pirate activity, cup cake eating contest and did many fun active games.

As for meals we ate early as a family in the main dining room and no problems getting a table for six. A few of the other nights the kids wanted to eat in the buffet and then go play. So, while they were playing my husband and I had a nice quiet meal for two. I loved it! They also had a kid crew dinner night where all the kids ate together. My children made a lot of new friends and were sad the last night when they had to say good-bye!

This is a useful thread - have just booked first ever cruise for family on the Jewel 21st July to the Baltics(wife and two boys aged 2 and 7). The 7 year old i know will love the kids clubs but the 2 year old is well, how can i put this, a bit clingy (well very clingy)!

Not sure how he will take being to left in a kids club without mummy or daddy or even if he will stay. I know we cant expect the cruiseline to fix this but does anyone have any advice regards this....? Could one of us stay with him in the kids club or do they kick out the parents....?

And secondly if we did manage to leave him happy but after we left he has a bit of a moment crying for mum or dad, how do the staff contact us???

Any info much appreciated.

This is a useful thread - have just booked first ever cruise for family on the Jewel 21st July to the Baltics(wife and two boys aged 2 and 7). The 7 year old i know will love the kids clubs but the 2 year old is well, how can i put this, a bit clingy (well very clingy)!

Not sure how he will take being to left in a kids club without mummy or daddy or even if he will stay. I know we cant expect the cruiseline to fix this but does anyone have any advice regards this....? Could one of us stay with him in the kids club or do they kick out the parents....?

And secondly if we did manage to leave him happy but after we left he has a bit of a moment crying for mum or dad, how do the staff contact us???

Any info much appreciated.

My DD was 2 on our last cruise. Since she does not attend daycare, I was unsure how she would deal with going to the Kid's Crew. Thankfully everything worked out well! Each time I dropped her off, she was a little weepy. The counselors were fantastic. One of them would hold her until she calmed down and was ready to play (usually 5-10 minutes). Once she stopped being sad, she had a BLAST! She and her brother never wanted to leave! For safety reasons parents are not allowed into the room during normal activities. For this reason, I highly recommend attending the "open house" they have on embarkation day. This will give your son a chance to get acquainted with the room. Parents ARE permitted in with their children for this. Also, your children will be in different groups, but will still be in the same general area, so perhaps it will make it easier on your 2 yo knowing that his older sibling will be there.

Since he is 2 and most likely not potty trained you will be issued a beeper. If your son gets upset and can't be calmed down by the counselors they will page you. Additionally, if you would like to check on him, you can give them a call or stop by and ask the person at the main desk to check for you.

Have a GREAT cruise:)

Archived