Questions about the Pearl

kittikat

We just booked on the Pearl and I have a few questions for anyone who has been on her recently.

First the important question:D. Can anyone tell me all about the ice cream. I think I read that it is not soft serve, true? Is it available at all hours, is there a charge, are there lots of flavors available, and is it GOOD ice cream?

Is it cold in the restaurants and bars?

What should I tip the servers in the extra pay restaurants? (I know this is a loaded question but would really like some idea of what is appropriate.)

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I have just started reading the Norwegian boards so I know I willl pick up a lot of useful information between now and then. Happy cruising!

We just booked on the Pearl and I have a few questions for anyone who has been on her recently.

First the important question:D. Can anyone tell me all about the ice cream. I think I read that it is not soft serve, true? Is it available at all hours, is there a charge, are there lots of flavors available, and is it GOOD ice cream?

We were on the Pearl in Nov. and absolutely LOVE that ship! There is a soft serve ice cream machine I believe between the Great Outdoors and reg. buffet. They have a real ice cream counter at the indoor buffet with an assortment of flavors and someone to scoop. Its hours are the same as the buffet.

I am always warm, so not a good judge on that one!~ I carry pashminas just in case.

What should I tip the servers in the extra pay restaurants? (I know this is a loaded question but would really like some idea of what is appropriate.

You're right about it being a loaded question! LOL! I'll give you our opinion which is by no means the correct answer! My husband and I normally would leave $10- extra at the specialty restaurants. You actually don't have to, of course! The service was just so good, it seemed appropriate to do a bit more. We also add an extra dollar on drink tabs since we normally would tip 20%, not 15% at home for good service.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I have just started reading the Norwegian boards so I know I willl pick up a lot of useful information between now and then. Happy cruising!

Wish we were going again....economy has us grounded for the first time in years:( But reading about others going cheers me up and makes me remember our great times!:D

What should I tip the servers in the extra pay restaurants? (I know this is a loaded question but would really like some idea of what is appropriate.)

I don't know about the hard ice cream but at the Great Outdoors behind the buffet all the way at the back of the ship I always found soft serve. There was chocolate and vanilla. It was average soft serve, but it was very hot on the ship so it melted really fast. You actually get it all by yourself so there is no one to tip. :)

So I can have my ice cream, I will have a great cruise!:D Now I can go look up the deck plans!

I was also thinking about $10.00 for a tip at the specialty restaurants, I just didn't want to be out of line. I am so looking forward to this cruise, if anyone has any ideas of things not to miss on the Pearl please share your thoughts. I seem to always find out things after I get home!

Happy cruising to all............................

On the Pearl, very good hard ice cream is served in the buffet when it is open. For some odd reason, they didn't have it on the Jewell.

Tipping in the specialty restaurants is up to you. I go by how good the service is, and it is usually very good. I'm guessing they put their best people in those locations. Keep an eye out for happy hour deals, most nights they have 2 for 1 specials for early diners.

Archived