Babysitting on board

scrappinheather

Hi:

We have a 1 year old son & we are cruising on the Carnival Valor on March 22. We specifically booked with carnival because they offer babysitting services. They told us each day we were in port from 8-12 we could pay for group babysitting. Did anyone use this? Were you able to go on shore excursions (i.e. a 3 hour excursion) and use the service? Any problems? Any suggestions. We definitely would like to do an excursion in each port and then pick up our son & spend the rest of the day with him. Any advice is appreciated.

Heather

When I booked for 2/1 I was told that for under 2's the babysitting was only available from 10pm-3am. I'm kinda anxious to hear the answer to this as well, since I wanted to go diving for a few hours, and that's a little tough with a 7 month old. I was ok with missing it, but if I can go it would be great!

I don't know the details of babysitting, but please be sure to consider (if you haven't really thought of the what ifs) all possibilities before you leave your child on the ship without you. There are many things that could happen either with your child while you are away (just ask cruisinmama about this one-she has a story to tell) or with you or your spouse that could cause you to not make it back to the ship. They are remote possibilities, but still are there.

Certainly everyone should do what they feel comfortable with of course. These are things that I hadn't thought of really until I read more on these boards.

Whatever you decide I do wish you a great time!

I don't know the details of babysitting, but please be sure to consider (if you haven't really thought of the what ifs) all possibilities before you leave your child on the ship without you. There are many things that could happen either with your child while you are away (just ask cruisinmama about this one-she has a story to tell) or with you or your spouse that could cause you to not make it back to the ship. They are remote possibilities, but still are there.

Certainly everyone should do what they feel comfortable with of course. These are things that I hadn't thought of really until I read more on these boards.

Whatever you decide I do wish you a great time!

Do you happen to have the link to cruisinmama's post? I can't find it. Thanks!

It might be worth the money to just bring your own sitter for the week!? :)

When my kids were young this is what we would do. You could find a college girl or family member who would probably be thrilled to go on a cruise in exchange for a few hours of babysitting a day. I think I read that the sitting was available only late at night also but I wish you luck. We also used to take our son out when we went diving- he adored boats and had a great time. However your child may not be allowed on the boat. If you are someplace where you can dive off the shore this is another possibility. Your other option is for you and husband to go out seperately- one for a morning one for an afternoon trip. Good luck- you'll have a great time however it works out!

Do you happen to have the link to cruisinmama's post? I can't find it. Thanks!

Well, after i totally wrecked her user name.....(sorry about that one...it's crusinmama06). Here is a thread with her story(a few posts down):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=501977

To the OP....you might get more answers on the family boards with this question. The topic has been discussed often, and I'm sure that the folks over there will know the ins and outs of Carnivals rules for babysitting :)

Thanks for your replies. I also posted this on the family thread to see if they have any additional insights. Hopefully they do. The problem with bringing a babysitter is paying for her airfair & sharing a room with her doesn't make it too much fun. I'd rather bring the baby with us then bring a sitter. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Heather

Archived