Ground transportation from Houston to Galveston???

Cruiser Rick1

My family (8 people altogether) will be flying into George Bush in Houston for a cruise on Voyager of the Sea departing from Galveston on 3/22/09. I would pay the $90/person to RCL for the round trip shuttle but they can't book us because we are arriving the day before departure and staying in a hotel one night. I already escalated this to a supervisor and even though she always arrives the day before departure, there is nothing they can do about it. Any suggestions on limos or van services from George Bush to Galveston? I tried to contact a couple of companies I found on the internet but they don't return calls or emails. Thanks.

I am in the process of trying to find transportation for our family of 6 to Galveston and have the same situation... we're coming in the day before. (Did not realize until it was posted here that RCL will not transport the day before a cruise) There are limo service quotes on Galveston.com that appear to have vans that can accommodate your family of 8. I got a quote for 8 for the same price as our 6... $400 round trip. That beats RCL's $92 round trip per person.

I have also gotten a few reasonable quotes from several smaller limo companies in Houston, but since I can't find any reviews (postive or negative) on these companies, I am a little leary of going with a company with no track record. More apt to trust a company that Galveston.com promotes.

Thanks for responding. I will check into Super Shuttle. I think we can book the RCL shuttle back to Houston and will probably do that.
The RCL transfer is $92 Round trip per person. If you have 4 people, the Super Shuttle is a better deal. You can put up to 10 people in it.

We coming into IAH on the 4th and going out on the 5th as well. I was able to rent a minivan for $384 for 8 days. It seems like such a waste.. for it to sit idle for 7 days, but we are happy for the flexibility it affords and not having to worry about the plane or ship being late and having to pay wait time for a limo. We can also see a bit of the island if time permits.

If you use the search on here you will find some great reviews for south houston limos. Jose Reyes is the owner. Give him a call should find his numbers listed. We used his service a couple years back and no complaints from us.

I have also gotten a few reasonable quotes from several smaller limo companies in Houston, but since I can't find any reviews (postive or negative) on these companies, I am a little leary of going with a company with no track record. More apt to trust a company that Galveston.com promotes.

You can go out to limos.com and get reviews for all local limousine companies. I can suggest Gulf Coast Limousine, but there are a bunch of good ones in the area.

Cruiser Rick - we are also a party of 6 on your cruise. I found a limo company from limos.com that is taking us in a 14 passenger van to Galveston for approximately $200. I wanted the roomiest we could get. I recommend you keep trying the various limo companies. I would offer you join us, but I don't think it would work with luggage. They told me they would remove the rear seat or 2 if we needed for luggage.

I also tried Super Shuttle, but have read lousy reviews of them for Houston/Galveston and then they said they would only take us to the cruise port and not a Galveston Hotel.

For a past trip, I took the free car rental shuttle back to the airport and grabbed the cruise shuttle for my RT transportation.

Yes, how close are you staying to the airport? In the past, I've taken the free hotel shuttle back to the airport to grab the cruise transfer. No problems.

I used Matrix Limo in Houston. The driver picked us up at IAH took us to Houston (we stayed there for two nights) then the driver took us to Galveston. We then had them pick us up to return to IAH.

They were terrific. On time and pleasant drivers. We got picked up in town cars (which is about 1000x better than a gross shuttle) for only a few bucks more. It was $109 one way from Houston to Galveston (there were two of us, so $55pp) vs. the $35pp on the multi stop shuttle.

houstontxtowncar.net is there website. I spoke with Abrahim, and he arranged everything. Even if you need more than one car, it is the best way to travel.

how difficult would it be to take an airport hotel shuttle back to the airport and catch the transportation?

Not difficult. Just have them drop you off in arrivals/by baggage claim, since that's where the transfers park for everyone coming in by air that day.

I used Matrix Limo in Houston. The driver picked us up at IAH took us to Houston (we stayed there for two nights) then the driver took us to Galveston. We then had them pick us up to return to IAH.

They were terrific. On time and pleasant drivers. We got picked up in town cars (which is about 1000x better than a gross shuttle) for only a few bucks more. It was $109 one way from Houston to Galveston (there were two of us, so $55pp) vs. the $35pp on the multi stop shuttle.

houstontxtowncar.net is there website. I spoke with Abrahim, and he arranged everything. Even if you need more than one car, it is the best way to travel.

On their website it says there's a mandatory 20% service fee. That would take the $109 to about $131. Did they charge the 20% services fee?

On their website it says there's a mandatory 20% service fee. That would take the $109 to about $131. Did they charge the 20% services fee?

I moonlight as a limo driver and I have taken a bunch of fellow CC cruisers to and from the ships. Although I don't work for the company mentioned I'm pretty sure the 20% service fee is actually the "tip" for the driver. That's how it is with my company. It's built into the run and is part of the driver's pay. Some companies charge 15% though.

I agree, though I guess I'm partial, but having a personal driver IS the way to go. WE wait on YOU...with a shuttle YOU wait on THEM and you never know who you'll be riding with.

That is under the cancellation policy. I just emailed Abrahaim at Matrix and he confirmed that the cost is only $109 each way for a Lincoln Towncar from IAH to Galveston Island. The 20% fee only comes into play if you do not cancel timely.

That is under the cancellation policy. I just emailed Abrahaim at Matrix and he confirmed that the cost is only $109 each way for a Lincoln Towncar from IAH to Galveston Island. The 20% fee only comes into play if you do not cancel timely.

That's good to hear, but the T&Cs are their website aren't clear on this as under the Cancellation Policy there are a number of things that don't seem to be related to cancellations. In the end, I guess the key thing to do is to be sure to have the "out of the door" pricing and what is/isn't include. In this case it sounds like the website may just need to be re-worded a bit to make it more clear.

Here's what the web site says

Cancellation Policy:

All cancellation accepted by the phone only.

Service fee - A 20% service fee is automatically added to your total which allows us to compensate all of our professional team members. Any gratuity provided to your chauffeur is left solely to your discretion.

Airport Car Service - A cancellation fee equal to the trip cost plus 20% service fee for any cancellation made less than 24 hours before the scheduled pick-up time. Customers are encouraged to inform Matrix Town-car & Limo of cancellations as early as possible. Roundtrip reservations must be cancelled as 2 separate trips.

Wait Time / Stop Time. Point to Point Transfers including all Return Airport Transfers, all Point A to B transfers are non hourly reservations.

For all point-to-point reservations, wait time will be charged at $5.00 per five (35) minute increment once the grace period has elapsed. Grace period is defined as ten (25) minutes beyond the scheduled pick up time.

houstoncruisers -- sure would help alot of us CCers who are looking for limo service or some sort of ride to Galv port from HOU if you were allowed to give name of your company plus 1 or 2 other companies that are reputable. I need to book something for April 19 when Voyager leaves to go transatlantic. There are alot of other people on cruises looking for a way to port.

Archived