Solstice - Comments from 1/4 Sailing

GMoney

I was also on Solstice 1-4-09, my 2nd trip on Celebrity. While it was a beautiful ship, there were no real innovations (grass & glass blowers??) I'm a diamond member in RC Crown & Anchor & think their program is much better for us past cruisers.

My waiter (Dindo & Bianca) & room steward (Joanne) were excellent! (rm 8247), as were the entertainment crew members. Thanks Mike from NY!

I did think that Solstice dropped the ball in their bar/entertainment facilities. Drinks were weak - (wondered if purposely made that way due to the few recent incidents of missing people on other lines?) But if I pay $10 for a martini, it should have a little kick. The bar staff did not seem as friendly as on RC ships. I am always so impressed when bar staff remember not only my drink, but my name - especially when there are over 2600 people. The bar staff on Solstice never seemed to make an effort to get to know us. The bar entertainment was generally quiet, unobtrusive music - no wow factor - several of the bars seemed empty every evening.

However,did think the food on Solstice (regular dining room) was terrific, much better than RC.

Looking forward to the next trip - Jewel of the Seas, transatlantic!!

Unfriendly Bar Staff on the Solstice? Weak Martini's? You must not have been served by Peter at the Martini Bar or the kewl dude bartender at the pool bar!

Can you please describe the excursion to the Baths? I spent a week on St. Thomas in April and we went on an all day excursion to the BVI. There were numerous stops, including a visit to the Baths. We docked our boat and traveled by open air bus to the location and then hiked through the caves. We noticed other excursions that came by boat where people were swimming in to the beach at the Baths. We were hoping the excursion offered by the ship was more like that. We don't want to hike again. We would rather swim.

Can you please describe the excursion to the Baths? I spent a week on St. Thomas in April and we went on an all day excursion to the BVI. There were numerous stops, including a visit to the Baths. We docked our boat and traveled by open air bus to the location and then hiked through the caves. We noticed other excursions that came by boat where people were swimming in to the beach at the Baths. We were hoping the excursion offered by the ship was more like that. We don't want to hike again. We would rather swim.

The excursion was very good. Here's what I can tell you:

> Ship docked at 7am

> We met just off the pier at 730.

> We were arm-banded and then taxied (5 min ride) to the ferry

> We boarded the ferry

> Ferry ride to VG was 20 min

> Once in VG, we were taxied to (5-7 min ride) to Sapphire Beach.

> Beach was very nice. Spent 45 min there.

> We were then taxied (10 min ride) to the Baths.

> Once at the Baths, we had a little more than an hour on our own.

> We chose to walk thru the cave trail, and then spent time at the beach.

> We walked out up the alternate trail.

> Back at the taxi, we were given a small bottle of water.

> we were taxied back to the ferry and transported back to Tortola.

> We arrived in Tortola about 30 min prior to all aboard (1245pm).

Hope that helps.

OK, here's our Two Cents.....

Ship...Beautiful! They obviously spent some money on this one!

Service....Good to Great. Chalk this up to new ship growing pains. Our butler rocked!

Food...Average. Grand Epernay Dining Room and Tuscan Grille were just OK. Blu better. Silk Harvest was a nice change from any other ship we've sailed on. Murano was, as always, impeccable.

Deck Space.....Need MORE! Dump the Lawn Club! While a novelty, it is a waste of space. After 9AM there are no chairs to be had. Hot Glass Show, HUH????

Itinerary......Typical Eastern Caribbean BUT loved staying late in St Maarten! (Attn Cruise Lines.....More late departures would be great!)

Gym...Too small. Also whats with the spinning classes outside forward of the gym? Put some deck chairs out there!

Bottom line....A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work!!!!

Cruising is STILL one of the best vacation values in the world and it's all what you make of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Patrick,

Thanks for a great review I always enjoy reading your reports as they are honest and informative. I too am a Royal Caribbean fan and am ready to try the Solstice. Have been on one X cruise on the Summit and loved it. We hope to spend a good portion of our time enjoying the balcony....

Nancy

Archived