Need flight help before and after cruise

jetstorm

I would like to take the Diamond Princess one way (Southbound) from Whittier to Vancouver, possibly the June 13th cruise. I can go through Princess but the airfare is over $900pp. I'm hoping some of you seasoned cruisers can give me other options for airfare and transfers to and from the airports. There are two adults and one 12 yr. old in our party and we would probably fly in the day before the cruise and due to work we'd have to fly back the day the cruise disembarks.

We decide to fly in and out of Seattle, book non stops. then took a one way to Fairbanks on Alsaka air that was the most expensive part. I know after the curise there is a shuttle from princess-- pier to Seatac airport for just $49 ppp

hopes it helps

I saw the transfers on the Princess site, but if I remember correctly there were two on the pre-cruise part and one choice on the return. I was trying to figure out what the difference was in the first two.

I'll check into the airfare from our area to Seatle and then Alaska Air. We would be flying out of Jackson, MS (JAN) which is small and few flights so a nonstop would be almost impossible for us. Was booking air on your own a big money saver for you?

Yes we saved a bit from Princess air. about $700 total doing it our way.

A lot of the travel site didn't show the way we want to do it. We had to imput a multi city

Cle-Sea then sea-Fai the same day 5-14. the Sea-cle on the return 5-29

I just saw that Alaska air has gone down in price they are having a sale

I'm not sure if ship tranfers are the same as pier to seatac air port shuttle. I know my TA booked it for us. and it was 49pp..My sister lives in Seattle and was going to pick us up but the shuttle seems so much easier and reasonalbe.

So if I'm going from Jackson, MS (JAN) to Seattle (SEA) then I go where to get to the cruise out of Whittier? Would it be Anchorage? And then return from Vancouver, BC to Jackson? I'm not so good at the flight part of it all. I guess I will have to talk to a T/A about that.

Yes, for cruises out of Whittier you fly into Anchorage (ANC). Make sure you fly in at least a day in advance. You don't have to fly to Seattle before flying onto Anchorage. From the lower 48, you have more options than Seattle on where to connect on the way to Anchorage.

I'll keep checking prices but there's not a lot of choices out of Jackson, MS (JAN). I really appreciate everyone's help. So if I fly into Anchorage, how far is it to the Whittier port and what's the best way to get there? Any ideas on cost from airport to port? Trying to weigh the total costs against Princess' total.

I'll keep checking prices but there's not a lot of choices out of Jackson, MS (JAN). I really appreciate everyone's help. So if I fly into Anchorage, how far is it to the Whittier port and what's the best way to get there? Any ideas on cost from airport to port? Trying to weigh the total costs against Princess' total.

Anchorage to Whittier-

Alaskan Leopard transfer (comedy uhhh...whatever, but a good transfer).

http://www.alaskanleopard.com/Tours/index.htm

Alaska Railroad depart Anchorage 1000am arrive Whittier 1205pm.

http://www.akrr.com/arrc18.html#8

You can also rent an Avis car in Anchorage with a one-way drop in Whittier (expensive, but will make the short time you have around Anchorage most personalized).

There are also limousine shuttles and the cruiseline shuttles to consider. Folks used to talk about the 'Magic Bus' here, but haven't seen it mentioned in a while?

About the cruise... my opinion only, if you aren't going to have time to see interior Alaska there is little point in taking a one-way Alaskan cruise. Round-trips out of Vancouver are fabulous with a variety of itineraries, including Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Ketchikan, and perhaps Haines and Hoonah for choices. Flights are typically cheaper round-trip to/from Seattle, and transfers to Vancouver are easy and relatively inexpensive. Of course, there are nice Seattle itineraries as well, but for Alaska first time, I think Vancouver is the better choice.

Sticking with your original plan. Use Multi-city or Open-jaw to check JAN to ANC for your arriving flight, then YVR to JAN for your return flight. If you wish to transfer from Vancouver to Seattle (perhaps a cheaper flight? but take into account overnighting and transfer costs), check SEA to JAN. We've always saved money using SEA over YVR even after food, lodging, transfers.

Thanks for the transfer info. and I'll look into the round trip from Vancouver. I had planned on the South bound one way because it is discussed so highly here on the boards, but perhaps the Vancouver Rd. trip would be best for us.

Again, thank you.

Archived