Seasick Solutions...

jbroons

On my first cruise, I took the patch, Bonine, Seabands, anti-nausea pills, and anti-nausea suppositories. The Seabands drove me crazy because the pressure is there all the time. Luckily, I had tried them for a day while at home, so I knew they would only be used if I got really desperate. I put the patch on before we got on the plane for about a 4 hour flight, then directly to the ship.

I never needed to try any of the other things I brought along, the patch worked wonderfully for me, and I get seasick really easily.

I did not drink for the first day, but the rest of the cruise, I drank in moderation, I had no problems with any of the side affects. Other people on that cruise started to feel sick when we ran into bad weather, but I was just fine.

Since then, all my cruises start with the patch being put behind my right ear, then three days later, removing that and putting a new one behind my left ear, etc. If you follow the directions, you will be less likely to have problems. I have known of people putting the patch on and never changing it, or waiting until the second day on the ship, and they have complained that the patch wasn't working right for them.

Talk to your doctor to see what they would suggest for you. Medications and medical conditions can make even the ginger or peppermint a bad remedy (especially if you have GERD).

Another suggestion...try not to spend much time in confined spaces, like the head (bathroom) or elevators if the seas are rough. You are much more aware of the motion of the ship in small spaces. Get out onto a open area, get fresh air, and try to keep your mind off of the movement. I have found that this has helped me.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks Marsha....lots of good advice there. What is GERD?My cabin is midship and I've heard that that helps with the "movement" issue....and the balcony should help with the confined-space problem. I will talk to my Dr. about the patch.

I am very sensitive to motion. Roller coasters are okay, but even car rides in the front seat are sometimes too much. My doctor prescribed the Transderm Scop patch and I will never go anywhere without it again.

DH and I did several tests before we went on the cruise to make sure it was work...intentionally trying to make me ill. That was fun. ;) It worked every time!

Someone noted that there are side effects of the patch, which is totally true. When I get into about day 2 or 3 of wearing them I get a little blurry vision (reading glasses help with dinner menus) and I get dry mouth about 5 or 6 hours after I apply the patch. HOWEVER...these side effects are so minor compared to not being able to travel. I'd rather use the reading glasses and drink a lot of water (good for you anyway) than be hurling all the time! If you have severe motion sickness I'd give them a try. If it's minor...pack them, but try something like ginger first.

Thanks not2soon2cruiseagain. What kind of tests did you do to try to make you ill?...sounds interesting!I will talk to my Dr. about the patch. Also, I already drink a ton of H2o every day so that's good......and I will try the ginger first. Thanks again!

Hi jbroons,

I just buy Ginger Capsules with the leaf and root. Very inexpensive ones work just fine. You can take them starting a couple of days before you cruise and when you need to on board.

I took two every couple hours when the ship had 25 ft high swells and was just fine. I was sea sick on my first cruise, but not so since.

If you spend as much time on deck out side when you first get on, it will help acclimate you and give you a good view of the horizon.

Hope that helps,

Lin

Thanks Lin....I love the beautiful PacNW! I will try the ginger root...seems to be the most used solution.

Sorry about the shorthand in my reference to GERD...Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease...is sometimes called acid reflux or heartburn. It is a condition that is made worse by certain foods, like peppermint, and that is why I recommend that those with certain conditions to be careful with ginger and peppermint.

I have never had any bad reactions to the patch, and am a big fan of it, but some others have had bad reactions. Since it is a prescription item in the USA, you would need to talk to your doctor about whatever you use, and they can tell you what YOUR reactions might be. Mine knew my sensitivity to motion and gave me the patch, the anti-nausea pills and the anti-nausea suppitories were as a last resort if I could not keep the pills down.

Maybe this thread has been able to give you a list of things to discuss with your doctor.

I hope you and your family have a great cruise (and no one gets sick).

Marsha

I grew up on the east coast of Canada and thought I could never live without the ocean close by. (the feeling of Majesty and power)The very first time I came over the horizon in Calgary and saw the mountains I know there was a God here as well.

Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper are worth a visit, a lifetime experience fro young and old, wheter you like hiking, touring, fishing, shopping, etc. It is magnificant. With the Canadian dollar now in the tank again, you should consider it.

Sorry about the shorthand in my reference to GERD...Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease...is sometimes called acid reflux or heartburn. It is a condition that is made worse by certain foods, like peppermint, and that is why I recommend that those with certain conditions to be careful with ginger and peppermint.

I have never had any bad reactions to the patch, and am a big fan of it, but some others have had bad reactions. Since it is a prescription item in the USA, you would need to talk to your doctor about whatever you use, and they can tell you what YOUR reactions might be. Mine knew my sensitivity to motion and gave me the patch, the anti-nausea pills and the anti-nausea suppitories were as a last resort if I could not keep the pills down.

Maybe this thread has been able to give you a list of things to discuss with your doctor.

I hope you and your family have a great cruise (and no one gets sick).

Marsha

Thanks, Marsha.

I grew up on the east coast of Canada and thought I could never live without the ocean close by. (the feeling of Majesty and power)The very first time I came over the horizon in Calgary and saw the mountains I know there was a God here as well.

Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper are worth a visit, a lifetime experience fro young and old, wheter you like hiking, touring, fishing, shopping, etc. It is magnificant. With the Canadian dollar now in the tank again, you should consider it.

After the cruise in April I will start the research process. I will absolutely get there someday!

jbroons - We did a couple of tests. Prior to getting the patches we took a trip into the mountains of VA and a 5 minute car ride to the top left me reeling. A few months later we tried again, with the patch, and no problems at all! In the backseat of a van going around a curvey road...no problems. Small boat on a lake (I know, the cruise ship is bigger)...we figured if it worked there it would work on the ship.

We just did things that we knew, without the patch, I'd be in a world of hurt. You could do this with any drug or homeopathic remedy you try. I have a friend who ginger works for in the short term, but uses the patch on longer trips.

Have fun and I hope, whatever you choose, works so you and your family can enjoy your cruise!

jbroons - We did a couple of tests. Prior to getting the patches we took a trip into the mountains of VA and a 5 minute car ride to the top left me reeling. A few months later we tried again, with the patch, and no problems at all! In the backseat of a van going around a curvey road...no problems. Small boat on a lake (I know, the cruise ship is bigger)...we figured if it worked there it would work on the ship.

We just did things that we knew, without the patch, I'd be in a world of hurt. You could do this with any drug or homeopathic remedy you try. I have a friend who ginger works for in the short term, but uses the patch on longer trips.

Have fun and I hope, whatever you choose, works so you and your family can enjoy your cruise!

Wow...lots of research went into that experiment, but I'm sure it was totally worth it!! And thank you for your "best wishes".....we appreciate it!

Archived