General excursion question from newbie

First time cruiser here...I know I could post this over in the 'Ports of Call' board, but I just have a general excursion question. We are booked to go on 3/15/08 and I am starting to get really stressed about our excursions! Should we do one at every port? Just take it easy at a port (and which one)? Should we try to fit in as many excursions as possible? What is your take on excursions? We are definitely looking at booking with a private tour guide to save money. Here is what I was thinking

Ports are:

Labadee - 'rest/relax/ day

Ocho Rios - whole island tour w/pvt. operator (hubby wants coffee & rum)

Cozumel - Dolphin swim

Grand Cayman - Maybe stingray, maybe rest day

Thanks for your opinions! You guys are the BEST!!

We usually do excursions at 2 of 4 stops on a cruise. This year, though, we will not do any of them. ( We know we can get around in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas CHeaper than with an excursion.)

If you want to try something, then schedule the excursion. My wife and I sometimes do different excursions. Cozumel, we usually get a cab to the beach. I also hear that the ruins are quite cool also.

Ochos Rios, we snorkeled and did the falls. We almost always do an excursion on Grand Cayman. Sting rays are fun. The island is not as pretty as some of the others IMO.

If you go out early on an excursion, you still get time to shop and look around.

Labadee is always a beach day and we take our own snorkel gear.

Tony

Excursions are always a personal choice thing. I like to have one in every port, but Labadee would probably be an exception. In the Caribbean, hubby and I like to have something to do that takes up about half the time we are in port and we like to vary things. One day we might take an island tour, the next go snorkeling, the next just sit on the beach. There is nothing, however, that says you have to book an excursion in every port. What do you normally like to do on a vacation? If it is simply relax, then find a taxi that will take you to the beach and hang out or don't even leave the ship. If it's explore, find a tour that takes you around the island. If you like water sports, go snorkeling or swimming or find someplace to rent a wave runner for a couple hours.

From past experience, I did the island tour and stingray snorkel combo tour with Captain Marvin's in Cayman and loved it. Hubby and I would do that tour again.

We did the Tulum Ruins in Cozumel once and the Chankanaab Park tour the other time. I think Chankanaab was destroyed in one of the hurricanes since then. Tulum was interesting simply because the ruins are so different from what you normally do on a cruise. However, the tour took all day so left no time for exploring around Cozumel. It's something to do once but I don't think I need to go again.

I haven't been to Jamaica.

Excursions are always a personal choice thing. I like to have one in every port, but Labadee would probably be an exception. In the Caribbean, hubby and I like to have something to do that takes up about half the time we are in port and we like to vary things. One day we might take an island tour, the next go snorkeling, the next just sit on the beach. There is nothing, however, that says you have to book an excursion in every port. What do you normally like to do on a vacation? If it is simply relax, then find a taxi that will take you to the beach and hang out or don't even leave the ship. If it's explore, find a tour that takes you around the island. If you like water sports, go snorkeling or swimming or find someplace to rent a wave runner for a couple hours.

From past experience, I did the island tour and stingray snorkel combo tour with Captain Marvin's in Cayman and loved it. Hubby and I would do that tour again.

We did the Tulum Ruins in Cozumel once and the Chankanaab Park tour the other time. I think Chankanaab was destroyed in one of the hurricanes since then. Tulum was interesting simply because the ruins are so different from what you normally do on a cruise. However, the tour took all day so left no time for exploring around Cozumel. It's something to do once but I don't think I need to go again.

I haven't been to Jamaica.

I just got back from Voyager, which included a stop at Grand Cayman. I did the same tour with Marvin's and had a great experience. Very great tour for a great price!

I just got back from Voyager, which included a stop at Grand Cayman. I did the same tour with Marvin's and had a great experience. Very great tour for a great price!

Another big thumbs up for Capt Marvin......

Archived