Direct from Atlanta same day?

KaiserSoze

We were looking at flying the same day as our cruise. I see where it is advisable to fly in the day before but all the posts I have read relate to transfer flights.

We have an April cruise. We were looking at an early morning direct flight from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale the day of the cruise which is Monday. (Probably will be on Air Tran)

Has anyone ever done this or had a similar situation? I was just wondering if there were less issues with direct flights.

Also heard about transfers. They sound like a good idea, any drawbacks to these?

Thanks.

I wouldn't be too concerned with going the same day from Atlanta. Just take the early flight to give yourself time in case something does go awry. Usually the problems with connecting flights is late arrival causing you to miss the connection, somebody else's late arrival who's plane would be used for your connecting flight, and increased chance of luggage going onto another flight. Luggage can still get misdirected from origin, but when you are taking a non-stop flight, that greatly reduces your risk of missing a flight.

I wouldn't bother with transfers in Ft Lauderdale since the port is so close to the airport. I would just go outside and grab a cab.

Atlanta is a big enough airport, with PLENTY of optional flights if yours is canceled.

The reason many people like to fly in ahead of time is if they have connecting flights or there aren't any other possible flights for them to take that would get them there on time if theirs was delayed.

As for transfers, I don't particularly like them. They generally cost more than it would be to take a cab or Super Shuttle on your own, plus you're waiting for a whole large busload of people. Your flight might have arrived, but if there aren't enough people on your flight taking the transfer, they will wait until the bus is filled, which just adds to the crowds at the cruise terminal, since you'll all arrive at the same time.

I'd just step outside, hail a cab, and get to the cruise terminal long before the people on the transfer bus will...likely for less money!

If one has to fly to their port the same day as their cruise then taking a non-stop flight as early in the day as possible on an airline with several other possible options after your flight that would still get you to your port with plenty of time to spare is the best option.

Lots of people fly to their port the same day as their cruise and have no problems but we have no interest in being some of the people that DO have problems (weather or mechanical) so now always fly at least one day a head of time and even earlier if we can even if flying on a non-stop flight.

I agree with going with Delta. Since they bought Northwest, you have more flight options if yours is cancelled.

Also, If you catch a early morning flight, there is a good chance that the plane sat overnight so it should there ready to go.

Same day flight is fine with such a short flight but don't pick a flight that leaves after 9am.

I also agree with catching a taxi from FLL to the pier. It should be around $16 per car each way.

Make sure you check in at least 90 minutes before your flight if checking luggage. Atlanta is slow with moving luggage

I also advise taking the earliest flight possible.

I'm flying from Baltimore to FLL for my cruise at the end of Feb. (on AirTran) and booked the flight that leaves at 7:10am the day of the cruise. I'll be there incredibly early but the early flight means that the plane will already be at the gate and, if there are problems, I have some wiggle room. Plus, there is an 8:55am flight from BWI (same gate) that goes to FLL if something horrific were to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
I also advise taking the earliest flight possible.

I'm flying from Baltimore to FLL for my cruise at the end of Feb. (on AirTran) and booked the flight that leaves at 7:10am the day of the cruise. I'll be there incredibly early but the early flight means that the plane will already be at the gate and, if there are problems, I have some wiggle room. Plus, there is an 8:55am flight from BWI (same gate) that goes to FLL if something horrific were to happen.

Here here on the earlier the flight the better it is for no problems. FLL is an easy airport. Just be sure to follow the baggage guidelines as the agents had their measuring tapes going strong last week - but this happens in ATL too! I think they are just getting more tough on enforcing some that go way over the limit. Wish they would look harder at some of the carry-ons I have seen!

Archived