Island Princess 12-24to1-3 review

Gabrielle R.

Chris, I did know about the TV channel- it was when we were out on the balcony that we couldn't hear... We were in an area where we could hear during the transit! Thanks for your concern! It was hard to catch the announcements- especially since the TV took longer to turn on to catch the announcement....:rolleyes:

Larry, Wish I could be more help to you for CR.... I know there was a lot of activity around the port.... I think you might want to look at the ports of call thread- maybe someone there can help you? I do know there are many good private tours- You could check the excursions too. Some aren't as long of bus trips. Sorry I'm not much help!

Gabrielle

Actually you have been very helpful. Thank you. :)

Gabrielle,

Thank you for your detailed review of the ports on this cruise. We will be visiting some of these ports in April on the Coral. When you were in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, were there many vendors in the port area? If so, do you remember what kind of souvenirs they were selling?

Thanks,

DavidnSteph

Hi Gabrielle,

I've thought of a question that I hope you can answer having just been on the Island. Do you recall if they offered dry cleaning services on the ship, as opposed to regular laundry services?

Thank you very much!!!

Tammy :)

Gabrielle,

Thank you for your detailed review of the ports on this cruise. We will be visiting some of these ports in April on the Coral. When you were in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, were there many vendors in the port area? If so, do you remember what kind of souvenirs they were selling?

Thanks,

DavidnSteph

Hi David & Steph! I do remember what they had! We bought some T-shirts, they like to 'discuss' the price. I really hate to do that, but they seem to like it. The T-**** place we stopped at had some Soccer shirts and the usual. There were a number of vendors that sold hand woven rugs, and other material. I saw a number of ethnic shirts with fine embroidery. Many Jade pices. I really liked some jade knives.... He started off at $30 and we got him down to $8. I had no intention of buying one, just admired the craftmanship of the knife... The vendor kept dropping the price.:rolleyes: I felt like a jerk when I said no thank you- they are beautiful, I can't get them home... The Coffee was available. $5 a bag, it was in a hand woven bag too! Very pretty- kicking myself for not buying that too! There were many vendors selling jewelry. Of course you can buy beer and other drinks... $2 a beer? VERY COLD! Tasted good- since it was so hot. The outside vendors had better prices then the ones inside of the building. That was my experience.

VERY NICE PEOPLE in Guatemala! If you said no they said, OK maybe tomorrow. Always a smile to give.

Oh, you can have your passport stamped in the entry building and I got a cute worry doll there. (free)

Gabrielle

Hi Gabrielle,

I've thought of a question that I hope you can answer having just been on the Island. Do you recall if they offered dry cleaning services on the ship, as opposed to regular laundry services?

Thank you very much!!!

Tammy :)

Tammy, I know that they had do a bag of laundry for.... part way through the trip. I didn't take advanatage of that. I only washed my only laundry (1 load) $1 wash, $1 dry. $1 for soap $1 for dryer sheets. The washer and dryer actually tells you how long it takes to do the job.(If anyone wondered about that.)

I THINK there is a laundry service On Island.... Though I didn't take advantage of it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on that Tammy!

Gabrielle

Though we probably loved our tour in Costa Rica best. Maybe a private tour in a van would be best there for you? Costa Rica takes care of their tourists. We felt like old friends with how the people waved to us.

Did you see any places to hire a van for a tour. I heard there were only small taxis available.

Hi David & Steph! I do remember what they had! We bought some T-shirts, they like to 'discuss' the price. I really hate to do that, but they seem to like it. The T-**** place we stopped at had some Soccer shirts and the usual. There were a number of vendors that sold hand woven rugs, and other material. I saw a number of ethnic shirts with fine embroidery. Many Jade pices. I really liked some jade knives.... He started off at $30 and we got him down to $8. I had no intention of buying one, just admired the craftmanship of the knife... The vendor kept dropping the price.:rolleyes: I felt like a jerk when I said no thank you- they are beautiful, I can't get them home... The Coffee was available. $5 a bag, it was in a hand woven bag too! Very pretty- kicking myself for not buying that too! There were many vendors selling jewelry. Of course you can buy beer and other drinks... $2 a beer? VERY COLD! Tasted good- since it was so hot. The outside vendors had better prices then the ones inside of the building. That was my experience.

VERY NICE PEOPLE in Guatemala! If you said no they said, OK maybe tomorrow. Always a smile to give.

Oh, you can have your passport stamped in the entry building and I got a cute worry doll there. (free)

Gabrielle

Thank you for all the info.

DavidnSteph

Tammy, I know that they had do a bag of laundry for.... part way through the trip. I didn't take advanatage of that. I only washed my only laundry (1 load) $1 wash, $1 dry. $1 for soap $1 for dryer sheets. The washer and dryer actually tells you how long it takes to do the job.(If anyone wondered about that.)

I THINK there is a laundry service On Island.... Though I didn't take advantage of it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on that Tammy!

Gabrielle

Gabrielle,

No problem. Thanks for the reply. Now, another question ... Do you recall when, during the 10 days of the cruise, the "bag-o-laundry" deal was offered? For some reason I am under the impression that it is only offered on certain days. We'd love to pack light and take advantage of not having to do our own laundry. Thanks! :)

Tammy

Though we probably loved our tour in Costa Rica best. Maybe a private tour in a van would be best there for you? Costa Rica takes care of their tourists. We felt like old friends with how the people waved to us.

Did you see any places to hire a van for a tour. I heard there were only small taxis available.

There was SO much activity around the pier area..... I can't recall. Might want to check the ports of call board. Sorry! So many people right when you get in.... We just sent to the ship....

GABRIELLE R

Did the vendors in the ports in Costa Rica, Guatemala and Nicaragua accept American currency?

Costa Rica- we were at a store- The bus/excursion stopped there- they took US money. Guatemala- at the little port- the vendors, there took US money.... We didn't buy anything in Nicaragua..... We did stop at a 'luxury hotel' at Lake Nicaragua- they had items priced in US dollars.... I think it might be hit and miss there.

Gabrielle,

No problem. Thanks for the reply. Now, another question ... Do you recall when, during the 10 days of the cruise, the "bag-o-laundry" deal was offered? For some reason I am under the impression that it is only offered on certain days. We'd love to pack light and take advantage of not having to do our own laundry. Thanks! :)

Tammy

Tammy, YES! I do remember that! It seemed to be about day 7 maybe 6- when they offered the bag of laundry! It was in the Patters. I found we over packed- My DH more so then me! And I know I pack lighter then most women!

Archived