Going on the ventura

chrismsh

:mad: I am really worried now after hearing what was happening over the Xmas and New year period.

My husband and two friends have booked this holiday going from Barbados on Saturday, 6 months ago and ofcours have paid full price. After hearing what they are doing, by selling off cheap tickets, it has really put me off, as we hate that sort of thing, and thought that by going on a cruise we will get away from larger louts and rough behaviour. This is our first cruise so have nothing to compare it to.

Can anyone put my mind at rest and give me some hope????

Thanks

christine

People who booked in the last few weeks before our cruise at the begining of December got huge reductions over those of us who had booked when the bookings opened, don't let it spoil your trip go and have a lovely time.

My son who works on a cruise ship always says those who cruise at Christmas on the whole are not normal cruisers

:mad: I am really worried now after hearing what was happening over the Xmas and New year period.

My husband and two friends have booked this holiday going from Barbados on Saturday, 6 months ago and ofcours have paid full price. After hearing what they are doing, by selling off cheap tickets, it has really put me off, as we hate that sort of thing, and thought that by going on a cruise we will get away from larger louts and rough behaviour. This is our first cruise so have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks

christine

Travel on a downmarket ship and this is what happens. Try the better ships next time - avoid Ventura and Arcadia if you can.

There are a few things happening which have affected some cruises on Ventura.

First the ship has been heavily marketed to families, and this has meant that families have been attracted to it, especially during the school holidays (which is when families want to go on holiday). As a result the ship has been very full during those periods, e.g. the Christmas / New Year cruise. Now that the school holidays have finished, I'm sure that the crush has evaporated, there are far fewer passengers, and everything will be much smoother.

Second, as regards price, while it is possible - likely, even - that there will be people on board who will have got low-cost late deals, I don't know how many of them there will be. That Christmas cruise may have been a special case: the original prices for it were very high, hundred of pounds per person higher than the cruises either side of it. I think therefore that it's possible that there may have been a greater number of empty berths on that one, hence the deep discounting, which may well not be the case with your cruise. But the truth is that with the downturn there are likely to be late bargains, on all ships from all lines, for quite a while. Of course, those who booked well in advance will have got the cabin and flights of their choice. Late bookings have to take what's left.

I had an excellent cruise on Ventura in the autumn (out of school holiday, you see...) and I'd be perfectly happy to go again. You need to select the right dates, and I expect you've done that successfully. I blogged from my cruise here:-

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/previous-cruises/cruises-in-2008/ventura-cruise/

You'll have a smashing time I'm sure. Just go in a positive fame of mind.

Travel on a downmarket ship and this is what happens. Try the better ships next time - avoid Ventura and Arcadia if you can.

What a unhelpful comment

Arcadia is not downmarket, I've never seen any trouble on there, and I hope there won't be a repeat of the Ventura christmas cruise.

Explain why Arcadia is down market?

My husband and two friends have booked this holiday going from Barbados on Saturday, 6 months ago and

ofcours

have paid full price. After hearing what they are doing, by selling off cheap tickets, it has really put me off, as we hate that sort of thing, and thought that by going on a cruise we will get away from larger louts and rough behaviour. This is our first cruise so have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks

christine

Worry not, Dai is here.

First there were as many good reports as bad and in most of them the "bad behaviour" went unnoticed.

Second do not believe all you read.

Third we are on this cruise as well and intend to have a great time.

We are having a get together on the first sea day if you would like to meet some fellow CC posters. We are meeting in Metropolis at 11.am so come along for a chat and I will put your mind at rest.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

What a unhelpful comment

Arcadia is not downmarket, I've never seen any trouble on there, and I hope there won't be a repeat of the Ventura christmas cruise.

I agree, totally unhelpful.

A few idiots do not make a ship downmarket. You pathetic remark would go down well with the 96% of people who paid highly for that cruise.

And BTW there is still no evidence that the discounts were any better that early bookers ie 45 to 50%.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I half agree with you!

Having never been on Arcadia apart from a charter I cannot comment.

But in my view, unfortunately Ventura is at the bottom of the pile in the P&O fleet.

I would still enjoy my time if I were sailing on her but she does lack the 'class' of the others in the fleet.

Let's hope the disastrous Christmas cruise was a one-off and that P&O care enough to turn it around.

I would still enjoy my time if I were sailing on her but she does lack the 'class' of the others in the fleet.

But what do you mean by 'class'?

I've been on both Ventura and Oriana, and enjoyed both of them. Both had their strong points, both had weaker points.

I also have to say that we experienced poorer service on Oriana than we did on Ventura.

What a unhelpful comment

I am with you on this LibraLass, I don't know how anybody can describe the two newist and most expensive of the P/O fleet as downmarket. The best he can come up with is the food, nobody could describe the food as downmaket. Okay its not 5 star but if your cooking for 2000-3000 passengers on A or V you can't expect it to be. As for Bearly Afloat there's no evidence of him cruising on ether of the two ships. I wouldn't bother replying to him as he his just trying to wind you up.

For starters, how about food that would shame a school kitchen?

I think you may be in a minority of 2 here Bearly Afloat. The rest of us who have experienced Arcadia have enjoyed the normal high standards of P&O Cuisine. I certainly have spent 2 cruises on her, a 14 night and a 16 night and the food was great. It may not be 'Fine Dining' a la Michelin Stars but in my experience is of exceptionally high quality by mass catering standards.

Thanks

christine

Dont worry Christine,we were on the Ventura in November and everything was fine.They had sold some cabins at bargain prices on that cruise but there was no sign of drunkeness or rough behaviour.

So just go and enjoy :)

Just one point though, if you are going for the train in the bar it wasn't working :D

Enjoy

Alan:) & Di:)

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe the rubbish that has been posted about Ventura!

The ship was superb, the service from all staff excellent and food amazing on our May/June Med cruise.

The only criticism was fellow passengers laying claim to sundbeds and then disappearing!

Unbelievable these negative comments! :mad::mad::mad:

Just one point though, if you are going for the train in the bar it wasn't working :D

:eek::eek::eek:

Nightmare!

I'm going to have to cancel my cruise now, not because the train won't be working but because of the moaning collective on board that will undoubtedly let it ruin their holiday :D

short and sweet......

beware of the keyboard warriors!

go on the cruise YOU have worked hard for!

enjoy yourself!

oh and as an added extra ...if you want a spa treatment that is out of this world... look up a certain south african lady called yolandi... they were so good i went back twice!!!! but get your first one done before it leaves the embarkation port..as they are half price!! so are the fine dining too!!

ok...not so short and sweet, but if we all took what we read on here as gospel we'd never go anywhere...

this is a general post for anyone about to go on big V

• 2 weeks later...
Hair dryers are provided in all cabins

Brian

to expand on that....

yes they are provided, they are like the ones in a travel-inn, very weak cheap hair dryers, we still take our own.....but then we sail from Southampton where luggage weight allowance is not a problem. If fly cruising, its up to you...if you have thick long hair and prefer your own hairdryer take it if you have the room,after all, you will want to look your best for those formal nights!:)

Going back to the original thread question, I am sure you will have a great cruise, Ventura has had a few cruises now since the 'famous' christmas 'cruise, and have not heard of any major problems, Enjoy.....she is a fine ship.

Gerry, I know you didn't like her much , could you please tell us WHY???;)

Archived