Think we are addicted??!!

dalyn

This time two years ago we had never been on a cruise, always fancied the idea of floating about in luxury for a week or two. But would we enjoy it, would we feel out of place? So many questions, so to celebrate my 40th Birthday we booked a NCL cruise on the brand new Pearl which coincided with a holiday in Orlando.

We loved it!!

When the question for the next years holiday came up, we again opted for a cruise with NCL, bit nearer to home this time, departing from Barcelona on the Gem.

And now . . . . . for the 3rd year running our holiday will be another cruise on the Jade, not even any flying involved this time, we can drive straight to Southampton.

We honestly can't see a point in the future when we would want to go back to the traditional type of holiday ie. 14 nights in the same place, same hotel etc.

We just love the fact that a different day, a different port, do you think we have an addiction?

ute-fan - I notice that you have only ever sailed on NCL before (like us). Have you been tempted to try any other line? We had a big debate about trying someone else but came to the conclusion that theres nothing about NCL that we dislike so whats the point of trying?

When I looked for a cruise this time I saw that Carnival was a bit cheaper than NCL. I asked my spouse about using Carnival but her response was, no way, we know NCL and love freestyle. Why change a good thing. Looking forward to another great Alaska adventure.

I can promise you 99% of us here on CC are addicts. CC is our "AA" meeting if you will... LOL. I was addicted to cruising the minute I stepped foot on my first cruise. Literally that first minute I knew I had found what was right for me.

The worst part of being addicted is that hollow empty feeling when you wake up that last morning of your cruise and realize it is time to get off the ship. THE ONLY comfort we have ever found to compensate for that feeling is if we already have our next cruise booked before we take the one we are on. If you are like some of us who get blue, depressed, etc when you wake up that first morning.. give it a try and have your next cruise already booked. It really does make it better.

As far as trying another line, here are my thouughts on that. We have sailed other lines and enjoyed them very much. However that was before we sailed Freestyle and I am afraid for us Freestyle will be to hard to give up. Going back to traditional dining and on that last morning having to wake up early and have them rush you out of your room to your assigned herding area to wait for your group to be called for you to leave the ship.. NO THANK YOU. lol.. When the other cruise lines realize what a great thing NCL has going and change more to NCL's way of doing it, then we will think more about trying other lines. We really would love to try Princess and X, but I'm just so afraid NCL has spoiled us.

How do you know your addicted to CruiseCritic

0. Cruiscritic is your main entertainment

1. You get up in the middle of the night to check out the boards

2. Its the first thing in the morning you check.

3. You hit the "reload" button every 5 seconds.

4. When your say "just one more post, honey" and turnes into much longer.

5. You get nurvous ticks when you are away from the boards too long

6. Do you regale your co-workers and friends with what's online

7. Do you LOL at work and everyone turnes their head.

8. When CC goes "offline" you wonder if they went out of "business" and never come back

I'm right there with you all!! I've already booked our Pride of America trip for February 2010 (our first NCL cruise) and I'm already thinking of Europe or Southern Caribbean for 2011...I love being able to see different places that I may want to potentially go back and do a land based vacation! While in theory it is a great idea...I still keep going back to which cruise I can get on next!

Hi...My name is Marla...and I am a cruise-a-holic

Hello Marla!

We just love the fact that a different day, a different port, do you think we have an addiction?

I'm really with you there. Some like the ship more and can get by with few or no ports...to us it's the ports (and the ship is a great bonus) :D

How do you know your addicted to CruiseCritic

0. Cruiscritic is your main entertainment

1. You get up in the middle of the night to check out the boards

2. Its the first thing in the morning you check.

3. You hit the "reload" button every 5 seconds.

4. When your say "just one more post, honey" and turnes into much longer.

5. You get nurvous ticks when you are away from the boards too long

6. Do you regale your co-workers and friends with what's online

7. Do you LOL at work and everyone turnes their head.

8. When CC goes "offline" you wonder if they went out of "business" and never come back

OMG.. how do you know me so well??

I worked all my life and dreamed all that time to go on a cruise. Yes, I had been across the USA and to the Caribbean but no one seemed interested in going with me on a cruise. Well, finally, DH decided to try it out. We went on the Majesty to Bermuda and loved every single minute of it. He was the one who took the photos and bragged to everyone he saw about how great cruising is. We booked a repositioning cruise while we were still onboard. We're going on our 6th cruise this summer, all on Norweigan. To me cruising is the best way to go. Maybe if I hadn't already seen most of the country I would feel different, we live in a beautiful country and I'm so lucky to have seen it. But, to me there is no better way to relax and have fun than on a cruise.

You sound like you've joined many of the rest of us who post here -- who are also addicted. Unfortunately, I haven't found a cure yet -- except for scheduling another cruise.... :D

I keep trying to arrange a different vacation other than cruising. Then I get thinking "how will the food be?", "will we get bored being in the same place?" and the biggest concern "Will my wife be happy?". Then I regain my sense of reality and book another cruise! :)

I have cruised having a penthouse suite and I think it is far from luxury. If you want luxury, go to a 5 star resort in the Caribbean. At least you can use the pool without a diaper floating by.

I've noticed an ongoing diaper theme in your posts ;)

LOL. It's the one part that bothered me the most. We wouldn't use the pool.

I don't blame you a bit...(fortunately for us, we've never had that happen-I've been on several cruises-including NCL-where I've seen them kick kids out of the pool when wearing diapers. Makes for some POd mommies at times)

This time two years ago we had never been on a cruise, always fancied the idea of floating about in luxury for a week or two. But would we enjoy it, would we feel out of place? So many questions, so to celebrate my 40th Birthday we booked a NCL cruise on the brand new Pearl which coincided with a holiday in Orlando.

We loved it!!

When the question for the next years holiday came up, we again opted for a cruise with NCL, bit nearer to home this time, departing from Barcelona on the Gem.

And now . . . . . for the 3rd year running our holiday will be another cruise on the Jade, not even any flying involved this time, we can drive straight to Southampton.

We honestly can't see a point in the future when we would want to go back to the traditional type of holiday ie. 14 nights in the same place, same hotel etc.

Honestly, i cant imagine going back to land vacations. We are hooked to cruising and I love going to different ports and seeing as much as we do while on vacation. After our first cruise there was no turning back for us. I think of cruising all the time and i'm always on the web looking for good prices etc.

This is an addiction i confess, and i'm not ready to give it up.

I can promise you 99% of us here on CC are addicts. CC is our "AA" meeting if you will... LOL. I was addicted to cruising the minute I stepped foot on my first cruise. Literally that first minute I knew I had found what was right for me.

The worst part of being addicted is that hollow empty feeling when you wake up that last morning of your cruise and realize it is time to get off the ship. THE ONLY comfort we have ever found to compensate for that feeling is if we already have our next cruise booked before we take the one we are on. If you are like some of us who get blue, depressed, etc when you wake up that first morning.. give it a try and have your next cruise already booked. It really does make it better.

As far as trying another line, here are my thouughts on that. We have sailed other lines and enjoyed them very much. However that was before we sailed Freestyle and I am afraid for us Freestyle will be to hard to give up. Going back to traditional dining and on that last morning having to wake up early and have them rush you out of your room to your assigned herding area to wait for your group to be called for you to leave the ship.. NO THANK YOU. lol.. When the other cruise lines realize what a great thing NCL has going and change more to NCL's way of doing it, then we will think more about trying other lines. We really would love to try Princess and X, but I'm just so afraid NCL has spoiled us.

This is like an "AA" meeting for us! :D I love that comment...

Where else can I talk about how I can not leave my phone for fear of getting an upsell call....;) without sounding like a lunatic :D

DH booked our first cruise for our 20th anniversary. We loved it! The Norway was a very special ship, all old world elegance and class.

DH and I always pinched pennies on our vacations previously, smuggling juice packs and PB&J into Disneyworld, vacationing at my parents vacation home etc.

On the first morning of our first cruise my husband wanted to grab some fruit off the buffet to eat later, I told him don't bother- they have plenty of food and it's always around.

I had never gone on vacation and not had to cook, do dishes, do laundry, make beds..... I was in heaven! We haven't quite made it to a cruise a year but we have been on 3 in the past 5 years, and I have loved them all!

And you don't have to pack-unpack-repack your suitcase as you must do on a land based tour of various locations. :D

We also have recently become addicted... and we have no plans to hunt for a cure for this addiction!!! ;) We are already planning two future cruises. :)

Derf,(fred spelled backwards, see I do read ALL the posts), Your list is so me.

mbission, I knew someone would beat me to the Hello Marla.

DEBBIE, You hooked on cruises??? Look at your list???If you cruised anymore, You could claim residency on NCL. (just kidding, would love to be on a ship, any ship with you guys again....so much fun, Tina loves the NYC hat )

My DH who has been on two-fourteen day cruises on Celebrity and just barely tolerated the dress up days, went on a first NCL in Dec. He said the other day, look for something next year..oops maybe a new addict in training..:eek:

Connie

Archived