I hope I'm not breaking the rules! I love priceline

Colts88

Priceline 4-star Miami downtown on December 14.

I got the Hyatt Regency Miami for $65 + tax. Less than 5 blocks from the bridge to the port. Most rooms face the city, but some face the riverwalk area. There are several bars and restaurants nearby, although walking around after dark seemed a bit sketchy in areas. Be sure to ask the front desk for a parking validation sticker. Parking in the garage for my 4-day cruise was over $90 without the sticker, but with it came out to around $60 and that included the night before. With the taxi fare, it ended up about $10 cheaper than if I had driven myself to the port.

I've also had good luck in Orlando, Charlotte, Indianapolis and Atlanta. I just won't bid on anything less than a 3 star because some of the lower end hotels are very run down and dirty. Priceline is a service that allows hotels to get rid of unsold rooms, often at a considerable discount off of the rack rate. Many of the lower end hotels that use Priceline are doing so because it allows them to make some money without guests seeing the hotel first, and Priceline rates are non-refundable, so unlike other reservations where you can refuse to check-in or ask for your money back, you are stuck paying for your entire stay even if you decide the hotel is too gross to sleep in.

I have found that most large cities have great deals on 3-4 star business hotels on the weekends because they rely mainly on business traffic, which drops off on Friday-Saturday nights. I usually start the bidding at $40-50 for a 3-4 star hotel in a major city on the weekend and move up as needed. After the first stay, I will usually bid lower for a second stay until I find the bottom price range that I know will book for future visits.

Orlando Universal/Sea World I-Drive 3.5 star has always been the Wyndham on I-Drive. It could use some updating as the bathroom tubs and TVs seem to be in pretty bad shape, but it is always clean and about half way between Universal and Sea World. Parking is free and there is the $1.50 I-Ride shuttle that will take you to Universal or Sea World or anywhere in between. Walking distance to several restaurants. A bid of $30-35 usually wins this hotel.

Charlotte 3.5 star Charlotte Executive Park is usually the Marriott Charlotte Executive Park. It is a very nice hotel, and definately deserves the 3.5 star rating. Parking is free. A bid of $35-40 has usually won me this location on a weekend and there is a Chili's almost right next to the hotel.

Indianapolis Downtown 4-star has turned up a few different hotels. I have stayed at the Marriott Indianapolis Downtown and the University Place hotel. University Place is actually the nicer of the two and is located just a few blocks from downtown and is attached to the IUPUI Conference Center. The hotel just completed a multi-million dollar renovation and offers free on-call shuttle service anywhere in the downtown area. Parking is $14/day. The Marriott Indianapolis Downtown is probably just as nice, but the rooms are a little smaller. Parking from the hotel is $27/day, but the garage across the street, which is shared with some government buildings was only $8, which is cheap compared to the $20+ average that I saw at other downtown garages. A $40 bid has won me both of these hotels during the week.

Atlanta 3.5 star Marietta has always come up as the Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest, which is actually closer to Smyrna and Dobbins Airforce Base. It is right off of I-75, less than a mile north of the I-285 downtown bypass. The suites in this hotel are HUGE, although most of the restaurants in the area are closed on the weekend because it is located in a giant office park. Not as nice as the Marriott in Charlotte or the Hyatt in Miami, but still probably deserving of 3.5 stars. Parking is $6 per night and judging by the parking lot, the hotel was less than 1/4 full. The only thing I didn't like was the $12/day charge for internet access. $40/night on the weekend won me this hotel.

There are great deals to be had through Priceline for upscale hotels during the weekend and off-weeks in most major cities. The best deals come in the last 3-5 days because most hotels are willing to take $30 or $40 for a room rather than letting it sit empty for the night. Just don't count on getting a good deal during peak weeks or when there is a major concert, sporting event or convention in town. You are always taking a risk that there won't be any inventory left in the city if you wait until the last minute.

I use Priceline all the time. I recently bid $50 on a 3-4 star by Houston Hobby airport (45 miles from Galveston) and will be staying at the Marriott, which also got great reviews.

I used to smoke - quit 3 years ago -but one time I bid on a Priceline room and they put me up at the Westin, a totally non-smoking hotel. I was not happy about that, so you need to watch out for that, if you want to smoke, you could end up at a non-smoking place.

Just sayin'

What does this thread have to do with Carnival specifically?:confused:

There is a Priceline Specific Sticky Thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412918

Or if you're talking about ways to get hotels for East Coast Departures...

The East Coast Departure Board in general:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

;)

I guess because its for a hotel stay before the Carnival cruise.;) Many times you will get more response here from a question or statement. As I did about P-Line only having rooms with one bed available but one poster says she can call and get 2 beds before she arrives. I have posted about this on the East Coast departures before and never get a response to my P-Line questions.

I've always wanted to try Priceline but when I read the fine print i seem to remember it saying something like, the rooms they offer are for two people only. Has anybody ever been able to get a room through them can accomodate more than two people?

Yes. I have bid on hotels before for 2 people and then just call the hotel afterward (a few days later) and let them know that there will be 3 in the hotel room and they always say "no problem".

It doesn't show you what hotel you are bidding on right? and what if it is in a bad part of town, or

not close to where you want to be etc??

When you are bidding you specify the area you want to be(i.e. Miami Airport, or South Beach, etc.). If you do research on the area before hand you should be alright in avoiding the bad part of town.

Archived