Roatan VS Costa Maya (Legend VS Glory)

letsgocruz1

We are looking at the Legend and the Glory for October, the deciding factor for us is do we want to go to Roatan or Costa Maya? I have been to both, but not since CM has been rebuilt post-hurricane) isn't that crazy that I can't decide??

We had decided on Roatan, then realized it was only in port until 3, which doesn't leave us a lot of time (we were going to the Mayan Princess resort).

I have sailed on the Glory but not the Legend. I know most enjoy the Spirit class ship, but one thing is that my sister is going; she has never cruised on anything bigger than Fantasy class size and was really wanting to try the Conquest size.

We are just so indecisive about it. Prices are almost equal. Thanks for your opinion.

I think it depends on what you want to do. I've done some reading on both, and you may want to be aware that there are rumors that the Glory stop may be changed to Costa Maya in the future.

Costa Maya, to us, would mean cheap beach day, which I'm all for (we're attempting to swing the trip for 4 this time, bringing the kids, rather than for 2, as we were used to ;)). But from all the photos and accounts, CM is coming along nicely from the hurricane recovery.

Roatan we are just looking at the Tabayana Beach Break. A bit more $, probably, but still just a beach day.

Based on just ports, I would almost rather do Costa Maya...as it's more of a "wander and do your own thing" port, where as Roatan (from what I've heard) is a "get to where you're going and stay there" kind of atmosphere.

I don't think there's much else to do or see in either port. Time may be a pretty big factor, I didn't like feeling rushed on our last cruise, but have since seen that later times in port are few and far between (atleast at the sailings I checked out). As far as ship size goes, I don't know if it was the size or the age factor that most influenced how we felt about going from the Valor to the Triumph, but it was a bit of a let down. Maybe you could also check out the last time either ship was put into drydock.

Good luck!

We did the Mayan Princess Resort in October and LOVED it! The resort is beautiful and the pool is pretty cool too!

We were only in port a short while as well and booked a tour with Victor Bodden tours. We DID do a island tour and trip to see the monkeys before we went to the resort and it didnt leave us with much time at the beach. BUT if you are willing to skip out on the tour and just go directly to the resort you should have plenty of time!

Then again it would be interesting to see Costa Maya post hurricane!

Either way Have Fun!

We've been to both ports twice and like them both. Both times in Costa Maya were pre-hurricane. Since you've also been to both, you kinda know the feel of each place already.

But I will say this about Legend and Roatan.... We were just on Roatan with Legend on Jan 2. You arrive EARLY. The ship stays on Eastern Time and the island of course is on Central Time. So it's pretty sleepy on Roatan for the first hour or two you are there. Combine that with the fact that you have to be back on board the ship at 2:00, and it makes for a really short port day. If the itinerary allowed for a nice long port day in Costa Maya, I'd probably go that route.

The determining factor would be if I had specific activities I wanted to do. If we are scuba diving, I would definitely hit Roatan. Best diving I've seen. If I was wanting to hit Mayan ruins, that would have to be Costa Maya. But aside from specific activities, for just lounging around or beaching, I'd take the longer port times.

But I will say this about Legend and Roatan.... We were just on Roatan with Legend on Jan 2. You arrive EARLY. The ship stays on Eastern Time and the island of course is on Central Time. So it's pretty sleepy on Roatan for the first hour or two you are there. Combine that with the fact that you have to be back on board the ship at 2:00, and it makes for a really short port day. If the itinerary allowed for a nice long port day in Costa Maya, I'd probably go that route.

Spot on! The Roatan port visit is way too short! We loved this island, our favorite port during our Christmas Legend cruise. Loved it so much that as soon as I got home I started looking up week long resort prices for Roatan.

Archived