"Live" from Adventure of the Seas - January 15 - 25

Really enjoying your posts on the AOS! It looks like an awesome ship! We will also be on the AOS on 2/22/09 and am looking forward to it. I am new to posting but not new to cruising! Thanks so much for posting all of the photos that you have been sharing with all of us. They are awesome to see and experience before we go on there :)

See you onboard!!!! :D:D:D

Thanks for such an informative review!!! I live in Puerto Rico, but have never been able to do the OSJ walk before the cruise... we will in March 1! I'll be taken to OSJ by relatives, and after boarding, me and my wife will do the tourist route, and will take many pictures of the ship itself.

One question: have you tried the capuccinos? What's the current price?

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

For many of us, visiting Portofino’s is to experience (or in a few of your cases, to recall) what dining and service on a Cruise Liner used to be like. Highly attentive. Highly skilled. Food prepared in manners such that the experience is as important as the taste. The best value on the seas, in our opinion, happens when you visit Portofinos (or Chops – but alas Adventure does not have one). $20 for all of this? Our Jamaican main waiter speaks with eloquence and softly. His assistant from Macedonia has eyes that beguile – I am captivated by her grace and beauty. And the Tiramisu is NOT to be missed. We utilized the advance reservation system – and it worked flawlessly. We received a postcard as a reminder, as well as a voicemail the morning of as another. For our appetizers, we enjoyed Black Tiger Shrimp on Risotto (sp?). Superb…. (How many years in a row have we enjoyed this? I also enjoyed the Tuscan Bean soup, which upon arrival is always a surprise, until they slowly add from a separate steaming pot the stock. The smell that erupts from the combination is a thrill to the senses. For the main course, my DW had her favorite, a pasta with a mushroom sauce. As always, it was very good. For myself, I had the Filet of Beef, accompanied by Asparagus and potatoes. The beauty from Macedonia was also able to secure some sautéed Mushrooms to accompany the steak. Done medium, it was superb. Followed, of course, by the Tiramisu – served in a chocolate cup with a B-52 shooter on the side. If you have room, have 2 and live anew…

Aruba at Nightfall:

DSC01132.jpg

Portofinos:

DSC01133.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

After being satiated by Portofinos, it was off to the Ice Skating Show. Hot Art, Cool Ice was the name, and it is always a wonder when one sees an ice skating show 6 degrees above the equator!! And although I have no concept of the level of skill shown, it is certainly something that I can not do. The opening number left me unsatisfied, but when the main act – a team from Russia whose male skater looked like Ivan Drago of Russian Fame and the female was the most bodily flexible person I’ve ever seen, the show climbed to new heights. The show allows the other skaters to showcase their individual talents, and after these demonstrations, I found the show satisfies. I am sure that many in crowd go because of the hype and uniqueness given by Royal Caribbean. For many, this is the only time they will have seen Ice Dancing other than the Olympics or on a weak weekend of sports choices. But the show delivers, and by the end the most hardened Nascar fan was clapping and enjoying him (or her) self. I would recommend that everyone experience this show at least once.

Other shows beckoned later - like the famous Love & Marriage Show – but so much was going on, and we were soooo tired from the sun – that we retired early. The Love & Marriage show was shown in the Imperial Lounge – Bingo was in the main theater, and the premier of “Fountains” was late evening. We would have loved to have seen “Fountains”, but it will have to wait for a future adventure…

Tomorrow – Curacao and our land and cave tour.

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

For more pictures of Aruba - visit our Photobucket Album at

http://s496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/BuyReallyLow/Aruba%20-%20Adventure%20of%20Seas%20-%2001-20-09/

Thanks for such an informative review!!! I live in Puerto Rico, but have never been able to do the OSJ walk before the cruise... we will in March 1! I'll be taken to OSJ by relatives, and after boarding, me and my wife will do the tourist route, and will take many pictures of the ship itself.

One question: have you tried the capuccinos? What's the current price?

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I always have mine in the Concierge lounge, so I'm not sure. But I'll check!!

Love your daily reviews!Will be on the ship 3/22/09. Will be our third time on AOS. Last time we were on we did the luggage valet program, but now getting conflicting information as to what airlines participate. If you could let me know if US Air is still a participant...would be greatly appreciated! And one more request, who the captain will be on the 3/22/09 cruise.

Thanks..Karen

We're flying American, but I'll check for you and put it in the cruise follow-up. I'll be visiting with the Captain tonight, and will try to remember to ask when he will be going on Vacation.

Thank you for more report and more pictures! It's all very exciting to me!

A question for you: we are interested in knowing if any microbrewed beers are available anywhere onboard. Have you seen anything?

Nope - just the regular selection of Bud, Miller, Amstel and Heinekin. But I'll continue to ask...

Thank you so much for the incredible review. We feel we are there with you. Alas, we must wait another 75 days.

If you get a chance, can you tell us if there are stairs all the way aft on deck nine and 10 - near 9390. We see them on other decks except 9 and 10. Just curious how easy it will be for us to climb to the Windjammer.

Thanks.

The only stairs are the rear centrum - they go all the way up to 13 (I think). There are no public stairs at the very aft of the ship.

The only stairs are the rear centrum - they go all the way up to 13 (I think). There are no public stairs at the very aft of the ship.

Thank you. You are quite the photographer.

Asked but not really answered on other threads: What time did the ship leave Aruba?

My last time in Aruba in 2004 the ship left Aruba around midnight. Does anyone know since when did the departure time changed and why?

As for microbreweries, I know of one in Old San Juan. A friend told me it's good!

After being satiated by Portofinos, it was off to the Ice Skating Show. Hot Art, Cool Ice was the name, and it is always a wonder when one sees an ice skating show 6 degrees above the equator!! And although I have no concept of the level of skill shown, it is certainly something that I can not do. The opening number left me unsatisfied, but when the main act – a team from Russia whose male skater looked like Ivan Drago of Russian Fame and the female was the most bodily flexible person I’ve ever seen, the show climbed to new heights. The show allows the other skaters to showcase their individual talents, and after these demonstrations, I found the show satisfies. I am sure that many in crowd go because of the hype and uniqueness given by Royal Caribbean. For many, this is the only time they will have seen Ice Dancing other than the Olympics or on a weak weekend of sports choices. But the show delivers, and by the end the most hardened Nascar fan was clapping and enjoying him (or her) self. I would recommend that everyone experience this show at least once.

Other shows beckoned later - like the famous Love & Marriage Show – but so much was going on, and we were soooo tired from the sun – that we retired early. The Love & Marriage show was shown in the Imperial Lounge – Bingo was in the main theater, and the premier of “Fountains” was late evening. We would have loved to have seen “Fountains”, but it will have to wait for a future adventure…

Tomorrow – Curacao and our land and cave tour.

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

For more pictures of Aruba - visit our Photobucket Album at

http://s496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/BuyReallyLow/Aruba%20-%20Adventure%20of%20Seas%20-%2001-20-09/

BRL - That has to be my all time favorite ice show...the music is excellent to get the crowd going.

I've not been on a ship with a restaurant like Portafino's. I know it costs extra but can you explain a little?

I read where you said it was "$20 for all this". What is all this?

Is it the appetizer, soup/salad, entree, dessert? All that wonderful food for a measly $20!

Thanks,

Love the posts, Sailing in 39 days!

I've not been on a ship with a restaurant like Portafino's. I know it costs extra but can you explain a little?

I read where you said it was "$20 for all this". What is all this?

Is it the appetizer, soup/salad, entree, dessert? All that wonderful food for a measly $20!

Thanks,

Love the posts, Sailing in 39 days!

Yes, you get all of the above including the best filet mignon on the high seas for only $20! It is $25 on some ships, but I guess the AOS is still $20.

Money well spent for awesome food and amazing service!!!!

BRL: Thanks so much for updating all of us daily! I am greatful you are taking time out to do this~ Was on the Adventure this past April, and will be again this October. I have a question about cell service.. how is the cell service on the ship, and Aruba? What carrier do you have?

Hope you had a great day!

Katie

Yes, you get all of the above including the best filet mignon on the high seas for only $20! It is $25 on some ships, but I guess the AOS is still $20.

Money well spent for awesome food and amazing service!!!!

$20 is still the price per person, I checked on RCCL's site a few days ago. It includes gratuity also, it is up to you to tip more if you like. The service and the atmosphere are awesome!

Archived