Photo tour of Alaska

kiwicruiser55

I am not a good writer so I have just done a compilation of my photos which consists of:-

Vancouver to Seward on HAL Veendam 22 Aug - 29th Aug

10 days touring in a hire car

A guided salmon fishing trip to Cordova with Pudge from Alaskan Womens flyfishing club

Click on this link

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ladyflyfishernz/ALASKAAugSept2008?authkey=fALujlDjDdg#

Your pictures of the Majestic Denali are incredible. You were so lucky to see it. Only 30% chance of actually seeing on any given day and you hit it just right!!!! I have not been so lucky. Enjoyed your pictures very much. Brought back lots of memories of our trip. We are going again this year end of of May but just cruise part this time.

Your pictures are definitely one of the best groups of pictures of Alaska that I have seen. I also did some b&b's on the Kenai peninsula two years ago now you gave me some ideas for some others this next August. We are also planning on going to the Alaska State Fair. My dad wants to see the giant vegetables. Looks like he will get to from your pictures.

Did the River Crest Manor B &B have any of their guest rooms downstairs?

Looks really nice. Am considering staying there on our way back from Healy where we are staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn.

Thanks again for the great pictures.

Your pictures are definitely one of the best groups of pictures of Alaska that I have seen. I also did some b&b's on the Kenai peninsula two years ago now you gave me some ideas for some others this next August. We are also planning on going to the Alaska State Fair. My dad wants to see the giant vegetables. Looks like he will get to from your pictures.

Did the River Crest Manor B &B have any of their guest rooms downstairs?

Looks really nice. Am considering staying there on our way back from Healy where we are staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn.

Thanks again for the great pictures.

Yes, Rivercrest Manor did have rooms downstairs, ours was very spacious with two queen beds in it, lovely en-suite, very clean and reasonably priced.

I am so chuffed so many people are liking my photos.

Hey Kiwi,

Loved your photos! Especially the ones of the park service cabin you stayed in on your fishing trip. If my husband had his way, we'd spend our entire 7 days in interior Alaska in one of those before we embark for a southbound cruise in 2010. Hmmm....now you've given him ideas!:rolleyes: Did you have to take sleeping bags/bedding in with you? How'd you do that - were you able to rent bedding, cooking stove, etc? Looks like great fun!

Your pictures were just stunning - looks like you did Alaska right! As I said, we're anticipating our third trip to the great state in 2010, and it NEVER gets old! Thanx again for sharing!:D

Hey Kiwi,

Loved your photos! Especially the ones of the park service cabin you stayed in on your fishing trip. If my husband had his way, we'd spend our entire 7 days in interior Alaska in one of those before we embark for a southbound cruise in 2010. Hmmm....now you've given him ideas!:rolleyes: Did you have to take sleeping bags/bedding in with you? How'd you do that - were you able to rent bedding, cooking stove, etc? Looks like great fun!

Your pictures were just stunning - looks like you did Alaska right! As I said, we're anticipating our third trip to the great state in 2010, and it NEVER gets old! Thanx again for sharing!:D

We only used the cabin for the day as we flew in and wanted to keep our food away from the owner of those footprints! It was very well set up and the last people to stay left three beers for the next occupants. There was a good stock of tinned food and even alcohol that had been left over the season. Visitors book was very interesting too.

We stayed in Orca Adventure lodge for our fishing trip.

I am not a good writer so I have just done a compilation of my photos which consists of:-

Vancouver to Seward on HAL Veendam 22 Aug - 29th Aug

#

You may be just the one I need to answer my question!!! I am wondering what the weather is typically like during that week in August. We are going this August 22-29 and are not sure just HOW heavy of coats we need to pack.

Thanks!

Kiwicruiser, the caption under one of your photos laments, "Oh, to be an artist!" You are an artist. Your pictures are just beautiful. You are a very accomplished photographer! Thank you so much.

I agree w/ middle-aged mom!!! Not everyone has the ability to take a good photo, no matter how good the camera ... btw, what kind of camera were you using?

I agree w/ middle-aged mom!!! Not everyone has the ability to take a good photo, no matter how good the camera ... btw, what kind of camera were you using?

I bought myself a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ15 with a 10x zoom especially for the wildlife and I was pleased with it, only problem I find is if you zoom up sometimes it is not a crystal clear picture. I also bought myself about 5x2GB cards and they all filled up!

You may be just the one I need to answer my question!!! I am wondering what the weather is typically like during that week in August. We are going this August 22-29 and are not sure just HOW heavy of coats we need to pack.

Thanks!

The weather was around low 50F, light rain and overcast until we sailed out of Juneau and the sun came out and by the time we got to Seward it was a stunning day.

With regard to clothing, I took thermal vests, polo neck jumpers, a thicker sweater, gore-tex raincoat, woolly hat, gloves, scarf but only used all those when we were wildlife viewing out on deck in the evening as it was very chilly. Once back inside the temperature is very comfortable and you do not need heaps of clothing on. If you felt you needed some warmer clothes you could buy something at the ports as they all have sales at the end of the season and even in the shop on the boat. We travel very lightly, did not attend the formal nights so that helped and had one suitcase between us for cruise clothes and the other had all our fishing gear in it for our guided fishing trip in Cordova.

What also helped was the fact that our temperature at home before we left was around 50F, so it was not a shock to the system.

Hope this helps!:)

The weather was around low 50F, light rain and overcast until we sailed out of Juneau and the sun came out and by the time we got to Seward it was a stunning day.

With regard to clothing, I took thermal vests, polo neck jumpers, a thicker sweater, gore-tex raincoat, woolly hat, gloves, scarf but only used all those when we were wildlife viewing out on deck in the evening as it was very chilly. Once back inside the temperature is very comfortable and you do not need heaps of clothing on. If you felt you needed some warmer clothes you could buy something at the ports as they all have sales at the end of the season and even in the shop on the boat. We travel very lightly, did not attend the formal nights so that helped and had one suitcase between us for cruise clothes and the other had all our fishing gear in it for our guided fishing trip in Cordova.

What also helped was the fact that our temperature at home before we left was around 50F, so it was not a shock to the system.

Hope this helps!:)

Sure does!! Thank you VERY much.

By the way ... the photos are ASTOUNDING! Loved! them.

Your photos are wonderful. I especially enjoyed your Haines photos-which will be a new port for me. Were they all taken during your walk through town or did you rent a car, take a tour,etc. I can't walk that far but would like to see the scenery and wonder what my options are.

Kiwicruiser, the caption under one of your photos laments, "Oh, to be an artist!" You are an artist. Your pictures are just beautiful. You are a very accomplished photographer! Thank you so much.

I totally agree! Your photos are great!

This is the edit: I was so interested in the photos that I impulsively posted a question that was answered a little further down the thread!

Your photos are wonderful. I especially enjoyed your Haines photos-which will be a new port for me. Were they all taken during your walk through town or did you rent a car, take a tour,etc. I can't walk that far but would like to see the scenery and wonder what my options are.

Firstly you'll enjoy Haines it seems untouristy which we like. We just walked everywhere, we did not take any tours during the cruise as our big splurge was our guided fishing trip to Cordova. The cruise was a way of seeing extra places instead of flying over them. Plus all the walking was burning all those meals off!!

I am sure if you post a question, what to do in Haines, you will get help on the subject.

Archived