Weather in January in Bora Bora & Hawaii

cassandra44

We are thinking of doing a Hawaii, Tahiti , Marquesas cruise in January of next year. It's San Diego to San Diego starting early January.

I had heard that the weather can be very iffy...Does anyone have experience cruising at that time? Is the sea likely to be very rough on the numerous sea days? Are we likely to experience a lot of rain when visiting the islands?

We did our first cruise of Tahiti in January and yes, there was some rain, but it came and went. The last time was in October and there was about the same amount. The rain comes and goes in Tahiti, much as it does in Hawai'i and folks just muddle through it and go about their business - nothing gets canceled unless it's really pelting down. My DH grew up in Hawai'i and we've been there at all times of the year - the rain is taken in stride for most part. Bring a slicker or umbrella and embrace it as part of the charm of the South Pacific. January will, however, bring you warmer temps and more humidity, which is much more of a factor for some folks than the rain.

The condition of the ocean is tough to predict, but we only had really rocky seas heading over to Rarotonga, not to Rangi. the Pacific is usually more calm than the Atlantic, if that's any consolation. I'd say, just go for it and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

We had wonderful weather. The temps in San Diego were low 60's on embarkment day. Our first 2 sea days were chilly, with relatively calm seas. Sea days 3 & 4 were sunny and warm, and we did lots of sunbathing. Following is a listing of all our days, and what the weather was like:

Hilo: 75* with partly sunny/cloudy skies.

Kona: 75* with partly sunny/cloudy skies.

Maui (Lahaina) 73* w/scattered showers in early AM, noontime, very nice cloudy skies

Honolulu: 75* partly sunny/cloudy skies

Kauai: 72* partly sunny/cloudy skies, some very scattered showers.

Next 4 days at sea to French Polynesian were mostly sunny and 80*, very nice weather.

last sea day before reaching French Polynesian islands was low 70's and mostly rainy.

Raiatea: 80* plus, morning showers, cleared up after 1/2 hour to hour, and partlly sunny

Bora Bora: 80* plus, mostly sunny both days

Papeete: mostly cloudy, some slight rains in the upper inland island

Moorea: 80* plus, mostly cloudy

2 sea days: 80* plus, mostly sunny

Nuku Hiva: morning rain showers, clearing by noonish

6 sea days to San Diego: From 80* plus leaving with cloudy/sunny days, maybe a short sprinkle of rain for 15 min. clearing, and would get cloudy late afternoons. The last 2 sea days were chillier, with day 5 chilly, and our last sea day, cold, needed a jacket outside.

All the days had relatively calm sea days, mostly 1.5 to 4 ft. waves, ocassionally slightly more during the night.

My advice would be to definitely take this cruise! It is an adventure of a lifetime. It has been our BEST CRUISE to date. We had a fabulous time. If you have any other questions, let me know!

Without wanting to hijack Cassandra's thread, I'm really keen on hearing more of debshomespun's impression's on this cruise. We are booked on the Jan 2010 sailing and I'm so keen for info! I'd love to know your impressions debshomespun, why you say this was your best cruise, what were the highlights, what you would do differently, etc etc.... I've been hoping someone from the Jan 09 sailing would post a review. Cassandra I hope you decide to book this cruise and join our rollcall. It's been quiet, and I realize it's way out there yet, but would love to get rolling on possible tours etc. I'm so glad to hear that it was an amazing cruise for you debshomespun. Hope you can share some more insight!

Our favorite island was Bora Bora. On our first day, we did the tour with Patrick, http://www.maohinui.net/index.php The 5 hour snorkeling and motu picnic. His outrigger canoes are all decorated and he plays his ukelele and sings along the way. The food was very good. We ended up having 24 people go all together. One of our CC had gotten in touch with him, and made the reservations, and we had 320 from our rollcall signed up before we left, and added 4 more from the ship. Some of us in his boat had been talking about going to Bloody Mary's when we got back, so he just dropped us off at their dock, rather than back in town, so we didn't have to pay for the taxi ride. On our 2nd day, we used Patrick again for his 4X4 tour. He is very knowledgable about his island, and very personable. We went to 3 different lookout areas to overlook the lagoons, and they were beautiful.

On Raiatea, we did the tour with Bruno. http://www.tahaa.net/?p=-1 Bruno required a $20. pp deposit ahead of time, and he can take 12 persons. He had actually booked 14 persons from our ship but everyone fit in the boat without a problem. . He has broken english. His tour goes around Tahaa, with a drift snorkeling (if you are not experienced snorkelers and GOOD swimmers, I would skip this part, or you will get all cut up from the coral, happened to lots of the passengers on our cruise), then tour a vanilla farm, pearl farm and have a motu picnic lunch. The day was very nice.

On Moorea, we rented a car and drove the island. We stopped at the Intercontinental Hotel for a while, and they have very good shopping at their little table inside their reception area if you would like some trinkets of black pearls. They had some that were only $6.00, the best price I saw on the island, and I didn't get any and was mad I didn't. Then we went over to the Soffitel hotel and had a couple drinks there. Walked the beach. Also took a tour of their over water bungolows

On the island of Tahiti, we booked a 4X4 tour with Patrick Coridier: http://www.papeete.com/patrick/index.html We did the full day, and it was way too long. Patrick is very knowledgable, but was a little too much like a professor and his information sessions seemed more like a lecture, with questions at the end. The island of Tahiti wasn't what I had imagined it would be, very commercialized, heavy traffic, dirty city, lots of people. We didn't see many pretty beaches. If I would go back, I would rent a car, and just drive on our own here.

Nuku Hiva: The ship doesn't offer any type of tours. We don't book w/the ship anyways. I had gotten info from 2 different tours: claudepua@mail.pf the tour we had done. It was a 7 hr. tour in AC SUV's. There were 30 people total, and we had 8 vehicles, locals driving, and only 3 of them spoke English. We would get out at various places for overlooks and pictures, and the English guides would tell us about the island. We stopped at 2 archeological sites, a beach area, and had lunch on the other side of the island, very good. It was a very good day to see the island and how laid back they are. The other tour guide is Jocelyn: jocelyne@mail.pf We didn't use her, but she has several tours available, some only a 1/2 day. If you don't book anything before you get there, take the first tender over, and there will be a couple tours available, and a couple cars to rent. Not much, so you must be first ones there to get something.

For shopping for island souviners, There are little shops in Viatape Bora Bora that is very reasonable, lots of little places at the boat dock in Moorea (they will bargain there), but things are very expensive. Not sure what you would be looking for.

In Hawaii, this was our 2nd visit there, so we didn't do too much. In Hilo, we rented a car, and drove to Akaka falls, then to Walmart to pick up incidentals for the cruise. Kona, we used the free trolley to go down to the Kahuluu beach area and see all the turtles. In Lahaina, we did a 2 hr whale watch through Pacific whale foundation: http://www.pacificwhale.org/mauiecocruises/ We didn't book this until we arrived, as we were concerned about the weather. We saw lots of whales. Very interesting tour. Price was very reasonable, we paid $68. for the 2 of us. On Oahu, we just took the bus down to Waikiki beach and shopped both days. I would recommend renting a car, and driving to the North Shore, very beautiful there. In Kauai, we rented a car, and drove to Waimia Canyon, and over to the Fern Grotto, took the boat ride, then stopped to see some of the waterfalls.

As for the cruise itself, we took too many clothes. They have the self service laundromat. The cost is $2. wash, $1. dry. The dryers took forever. There were many older passengers, (avg. age was 75). DH is 52, and I am 49, but there were others in our age range. We all hung out together in the Crows Nest each night.

The ship offered "Happy Hour" each day from 4:30 to 5:30 2 for 1 house brand drinks. We also spent most of our afternoons here meeting many new friends.

The ship will have entertainers from the local islands come on and do shows. They were VERY GOOD. Be sure NOT TO MISS them. The "children of Raiatea" was so good watching the little children dance. The show in Tahiti was also excellent. The entertainment on the ship was also very good. I had planned on going to the lectures, but didn't have time. We had excellent weather, so we spent most sea days by the pool catching the rays.

I took over 1000 pictures. I had 5 memory cards for my digital camera. I could have used another battery as on some days, it ran low. It is a rechargable lithium one, but next time, I will have another battery on hand.

If you have other questions, please let me know. Here are a couple pictures.

First one is of us with Patrick in Bora Bora on his tour.

Second is waterfall in Tahiti.

third is Belvedere Lookout on Moorea.

Forth is in Nuku Hiva, one of the tone carvings at the archeological site.

Fifth one is across the street from the little restaurant (Yvonnes) where we had lunch in Nuku Hiva.

1438019913_Hawaii.Tahitijan09.partthree.BoraBora067.jpg.c9c4e40c91b0c019f4652a3f97687580.jpg

1483262372_Hawaii.Tahiti.jan-09.partfour.TahitiMoorea028.jpg.398e1d8ffa9062fae786ac15f8b2c02a.jpg

1500356907_Hawaii.Tahiti.jan-09.partfour.TahitiMoorea106.jpg.837ddd04b044912a2a1c263f475a6fb2.jpg

2016869939_Hawaii.Tahiti_jan_09.partfive.NukuHiva065.jpg.092570c10c9f6a15c8c39e916510b698.jpg

944025651_Hawaii.Tahiti_jan_09.partfive.NukuHiva069.jpg.c5bf14c969d63a20bc1568cf1374b0e1.jpg

Debbie, thanks so much for the fantastic info! Pictures are awesome! One more quick question please. How far out do you recommend booking tours? thanks again! I'm soo looking forward to this cruise!

Doreen

Doreen: I would book them ASAP once you decide what you would like to do (just in case someone else wants to book). some of the tours only take 12 people. I went to Borders and bought the 5th edition of Jan Prince's Tahiti and the French Polynesian islands. It has tons of info in it about the islands. Between the book, and recommendations on CC, I decided what I wanted to do. Not sure what you like to do on your excursions. We didn't have to put any money down for the excursions in Tahiti except for the one on Raiatea.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Debbie. Ken and Betsy here. You did a great job of describing the cruise. As we were with you much of the time I can concur with your observations and impressions. We are doing the same cruise again next year so that's how much we liked it. Besides Betsy left some things that she didn't have free duty to cover. For the others who may read this. Debbie was the organizer (coodinator) of many of the excursions and did a fabulous job. You sure you and Tom don't want to go again with us?

Hey Ken & Betsy! We would love to go again in jan/10, but just cannot quite swing it again so soon. Maybe in a couple more years. Hopefully, we will get to cruise with the 2 of you again. We had a fabulous time. Our best cruise ever! Aside from going to Hawaii and Tahiti (and of course Bora Bora w/the Tahitian God ;) ) all the great cruisers really helped to make it so great! and by the way, I didn't take notes. Guess the memory is still there, so not as old as I feel at times! :)

• 6 months later...

Archived