How is the Disco on Princess

kooljamming

I searched the board and read the review but not much said about the disco. Do they go until the wee hours of the morning? I am hoping for a little bit of Reggae with Bob Marley and Sean Paul, a taste of Mariah Carey, and what's the heck, Sir Lansalot. Not too much hip-hop and I am through with Madonna. Do you have a reason to drop it like it hot, granted at my age I might need all the picking it back up:) This area has been hit or miss on most of my vacations:(. What can I expect from the disco, anything to get real excited about? Sailing on Sapphire Princess.

Thanks

Alot depends on the crowd on your sailing. On our last cruise on the Sapphire, Skywalkers was hopping until 1am or later. You can request the DJ to play your favorite music and they usually do. I've also found that Sapphire's Skywalkers is laid out much better than the older Grand-class ships, not so many levels...

Have a great cruise, we certainly enjoyed our last cruise on the Sapphire. :)

Alot depends on the crowd on your sailing. On our last cruise on the Sapphire, Skywalkers was hopping until 1am or later. You can request the DJ to play your favorite music and they usually do. I've also found that Sapphire's Skywalkers is laid out much better than the older Grand-class ships, not so many levels...

Have a great cruise, we certainly enjoyed our last cruise on the Sapphire. :)

On Carnival last year, I met a group of ladies who knew how to party. They became my new BF real quickly:D Good music and good company always lead to good old fashion fun. I will start to practice the drop, in case I need to know how to do the pick up. Just 29 more days to go.

One thing I have noticed about Skywalkers is that no matter what the "theme" for the night is, the DJ always seems to go back to some form of hip-hop. We enjoy dancing, but have trouble with the hip-hop music. And, I have noticed that even when the average age of guests in Skywalkers is of the older generation, the DJ still resorts back to hip-hop. We always go to Skywalkers after the shows in the theater, especially when they are advertising either disco night or rock and roll night. The dance floor is packed. But, when they start playing that hip-hop music, the dance floor is empty. You'd think the DJ would notice this. I can understand if the age is of the younger generation, but on most 10 day fall cruises, which we always take, the average age of the passengers is around 40-60. Keep the music flowing from "our" era. We have always asked the DJ to play music we like. He will, for awhile, but that's it. Kind of depressing since we like to dance and party.

I searched the board and read the review but not much said about the disco. Do they go until the wee hours of the morning? I am hoping for a little bit of Reggae with Bob Marley and Sean Paul, a taste of Mariah Carey, and what's the heck, Sir Lansalot. Not too much hip-hop and I am through with Madonna. Do you have a reason to drop it like it hot, granted at my age I might need all the picking it back up:) This area has been hit or miss on most of my vacations:(. What can I expect from the disco, anything to get real excited about? Sailing on Sapphire Princess.

Thanks

A lively disco playing 'my kinda music' is always an important factor for my cruise enjoyment. We've sailed on the Sapphire twice, including from Singapore to Sydeny 21-day over Xmas/ New Year where Skywalkers was quite busy. My advice would be for you to take your own music - MP3s burned onto a CD and schmoooosh the DJ from day 1 - befriend them and chat with them when the disco is empty (go early as it's just opened) - buy them a drink. They sometimes get a bit defensive as most people talking to them are either complaining about the current music or are drunk (or both:(), so they will be happy to have you to chat with. And then of course they'll be happy to play your music! On the Sapphire very early on the DJ got to know our taste and always put our stuff on when he saw us enter Skywalkers.

As for whether the disco will be full and rocking every evening - this depends on the passengers and is pot luck - what's for sure is that many come for just one drink and 20 minutes and decide based on that whether they will come again - so if the disco on the first night is very quiet and slow, then many will dismiss it for the rest of the cruise. It's great if you can get a 'crew' of passengers together early on to always be up there. Hope it works for you.

Cheers

Skywalkers is usually a miss more than a hit for music selection. Princess requires the DJs to play Top 40 - it's not really current Top 40 either but they also have a caveat that says that they have to play to the crowd so it depends on the age of the crowd. On my sailing there were a lot of younger folks, myself included but with various music tastes and we just heard the same songs over and over again. The best discos I've ever experienced are on NCL. The DJs play what you'd actually hear in the club.

Electric slide and Macarena get old really quickly. :eek: Hip hop was a lot of what you'd hear on the 1/4/09 sailing of the Crown Princess. Otherwise it was a lot of Motown and some old school disco music (70s).

I must admit that I haven't been in a club in a long time:D Dancing to wee hours while on vacation is something I enjoy. I am going to pray for a hit with the crowd and music. With wine allowed (would never think of taking any in my luggage:p) and no kids, this mama is ready to party.

Just for the heck, I am going to a club this weekend. Do they still have cover charge, happy hour or ladies free before 11 pm? If there is a sudden explosion or shaking of the earth, that's the sound from me breaking the news to DH about going clubbing:D

Archived