Venice at night

I don't know anything about the crime rate or how active pick pockets are in Venice.

Should we be overly concerned about safety when returning to our hotel at night in the Piazzle Roma area or the Ruby Princess (first day is overnight on ship)? Or, would it be wise to return by dark?

I'm also wondering about security for our belongings if staying at small hotels or a B&B. Any stories?

I'm not a scared-y cat. Just wondering.

I wouldn't go wandering down back alleys, but the main streets, Piazzale Roma, vaporetto, seemed safe enough to us. We were there in Oct '08. We usually headed back to our hotel in Piazzale Roma around 10 or 10:30, we aren't late owls (1 or 2 in the morning) so I can't speak to that. But we did do a walking tour that started at 8:00 and ended around 9:30. Then we walked back to San Marco and took the elevator up the bell tower. There were lots of folks wandering around. We never felt unsafe. Never even gave it a thought. There were two of us (78 & 62) year old ladies. Just use the same common sense you would use at home.

We were there in December and walked all over the city. We carry our main money in a neck wallet we got at MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop). There were always people around, even on the smaller streets and we always felt safe, even on the small streets to our hotel.

we wandered around venice at night (two nights pre-cruise) and were never concerned for our safety, same went for rome (one night), and everywhere else in europe we visited. stayed in smallish hotels and just kept our bags locked or used in room safes if they were available, as we would anywhere

venice was terrific

I highly recommend a money belt (worn under your clothes) or neck wallet everywhere in Italy, but other than that, just be street smart and avoid dark, seemingly empty walkways late at night.

We spent 5 nights in Venice in the off-season (February) and wandered into almost every alley. Dinner at the smaller trattorias and local restaurants usually did not start until 7 or 8 pm so it was dark when we left the hotel. As everyone else has said, just use some common sense - no flashy jewelry, be aware of your surroundings, keep your valuables close, and don't spend too much time in areas that are dark. Our hotel was near the train station and most of the time, we would stay on the more populated streets rather than take shortcuts which were a tad too quiet at night.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think anyone should be complacent to think that Venice or any other large city in Europe is "safe". All cities have their ills. Good scam artists and petty thieves are able to pick out tourists anywhere whether they are advertising the fact that they are tourists or not. So few bills, no bling is common sense. Maybe a quick read of local papers lends to a better perspective prior to going.

http://www.gazzettino.it/

You are more apt to get pickpocketed in a crowd than in an alley.

I have been to Venice six times now and I feel safer there than any other city I have ever been to. I am a single, 43 year old woman and I am of course always on my guard. I have never felt unsafe in Venice. Don't worry yourself.

I wouldn't go wandering down back alleys, but the main streets, Piazzale Roma, vaporetto, seemed safe enough to us. We were there in Oct '08. We usually headed back to our hotel in Piazzale Roma around 10 or 10:30, we aren't late owls (1 or 2 in the morning) so I can't speak to that. But we did do a walking tour that started at 8:00 and ended around 9:30. Then we walked back to San Marco and took the elevator up the bell tower. There were lots of folks wandering around. We never felt unsafe. Never even gave it a thought. There were two of us (78 & 62) year old ladies. Just use the same common sense you would use at home.

What was the weather like in the evening in October? How late is the bell tower open at night?

Thanks!

Venice at night is not to be missed. Great for walking around and just taking in the atmosphere with fewer crowds. I definitely recommend using a money belt for under your shirt to discourage pickpockets and common sense of course. Restaurants start getting busy around 9pm which is great for people watching, catch the dueling bands in Piazza San Marco for certain and just enjoy!

Saying not to walk dark byways in Venice is akin to saying go to Venice but for heaven's sake, don't SEE Venice.

You are not going to get pick-pocketed in a small calle. This profession operates in busy, crowded places. Muggings can happen anywhere in the world, but are much less frequent in Venice than in your average U.S. city of the same size.

What will happen if you do this:

a) you will get lost .. several times. You will easily get unlost, though. It is as hard to stay lost in Venice as it is not to get lost in the first place. ture story.. after wandering into a new (to me) section of The Serene Republic, I was totally lost (I knew for a fact that North was either in front, behind to the side of me). After a few minutes of walking I came upon a group of signs pointing the way to the Rialto. There were four signs pointing to four different calle. Relax, enjoy.

b) You will some interesting architecture, shops, places for a snack or a drink, homes, churches, shops, etc. Relax, enjoy.

I agree with the last poster - Venice was fabulous at night and we enjoyed all the dark alleyways and always felt safe.

We took a gondola ride at night and we seemed to be the only ones on the water. A not-to-be missed experience - it was magical.

We were there in October and weather-wise it was very pleasant. At night I wore a sweater and skirt.

Snow Cat

Archived