Camp Carnival with different age group french speaking kids

montrealaise

We will be on the Victory in March with my 3 boys (4, 8 and 10). I know there might not be a French speaking employee at camp but does anyone know if they will separate my kids since they don't understand English. :confused: I would prefer if they stayed together as the oldest one would at least keep an eye on his brothers and he can say a few words in English. I intend on giving the 2 oldest ones a few sentences in on a paper so they can "survive". :DSpring break in Quebec is about the same for everyone so there also might be a few kids in the same situation.

They probably will only spend a few evenings there since we visit a port each day of the cruise.:eek:

Thank you for reassuring a worried mom.:o

You'll really need to contact the cruise line because normally there is no way, none at all, that they would even consider allowing a 10 year old in the 2-5 group and, of course, no possible way they'd allow a 4 year old in the 9-11 group. Usually the group age limits are strictly enforced for many reasons. The activities at each are age-appropriate, so a 10 year old would probably be bored to tears playing with 2 year olds and the activities for the 9-11 group would not be appropriate for a 4 year old. As well, many parents are more comfortable knowing that their own children are with similarly aged children. The idea of a 10 year old, who would be bigger, stronger, and so forth, being allowed into a group with 2 year olds would not sit well with them. I'm sure your boys are perfectly wonderful, but that isn't the issue. I honestly doubt that the language issue would change that simply because the cruise line could encounter problems with other parents and with liability issues if they allow children who are so far from the group's stated age range. It also doesn't matter if a land-based cruise line representative says it would be fine because these issues are not decided by the Customer Relations department.

Perhaps parents who have wanted to try something similar will be able to report on this.

I hope you all have a lovely cruise no matter what.

beachchick

Not too worry! As long as you are going during the March break time, there will be lots of Canadian bilingual kids on board! I'm sure they'll make friends right away and have no trouble! My kids are english first but in french immersion at school, and they always gravitate towards the francophone kids! We are also going for March break, but unfortunately on a different ship then you:(!

Have a great time!

The kids will be separated into their own age groups (sorry, they do it to everyone :(). But I agree with Danielle, there is bound to be other French speaking kids onboard.

I know that over Spring Break in 2007, we had french speaking kids in my daughters' groups. A few of the counselors translated for them.

Contact Carnival and see if there will be a counselor that does speak French. I am betting there is.

Thank you all for answering so fast. I am sure I worry too much but I sure would feel insecure if I did not understand a word everyone was saying! :eek: We will see how it goes and if the kids have fun. :) This is our first cruise with the kids so we really don't know what to expect. We are hoping they like it at camp so we can go to the early show. Do people bring their kids to that show?

Thank you all for answering so fast. I am sure I worry too much but I sure would feel insecure if I did not understand a word everyone was saying! :eek: We will see how it goes and if the kids have fun. :) This is our first cruise with the kids so we really don't know what to expect. We are hoping they like it at camp so we can go to the early show. Do people bring their kids to that show?

Some people do take their kids to the shows. Mine prefer to stay in camp. The shows are suppose to be ok for kids. The only ones that aren't will be later at night and be marked "adult" in the caper.

I'm sure your kids will have a good time no matter what. They really are at a good age to socialize. I definately understand you being nervous and worried about the language barrier but just try to remember kids are kids no matter what the language or cultural differences are. Here's an example, today my 7 yr. old was outside playing with a little boy about his age that I had never seen before. So, after an entire day spent outside playing it was time to come in. I asked him what the little boy's name was since they had played and had such a good time together and he said "mom, we didn't talk we just played. I just call him hey kid!" LOL :D

Have a great time!

Archived