How casual are casual nights in the dining room?

cruisehappy27

We will be cruising the Glory next week and this will be our first cruise. I have started about packing and am wondering what is acceptable in the dining room on casual nights. We are fairly casual people so I don't want to stretch the word too far. Are jeans acceptable?

We will be cruising the Glory next week and this will be our first cruise. I have started about packing and am wondering what is acceptable in the dining room on casual nights. We are fairly casual people so I

Look at the FAQ sheet on the wesite. Yes, jeans are acceptable - not cutoffs. I think most men tend to wear dockers and a polo style shirt.

Since most folks seem to prefer casual these days, you probably will be ok in jeans. I agree that most men do wear dockers and golf shirts. Even the long shorts seem to be acceptable on casual nights now. Some folks do seem to try to underdress as much as possible.:rolleyes:

However, it's really according to how comfortable you will feel in a "formal atmosphere". The dining room is always lovely, formal, multiple place settings, etc. I, personally, could not wear jeans or shorts on any evening. Your call.

Enjoy your first cruise!:)

My DH and DS usually wear Dockers and a polo shirt (or button up shirt) on the casual nights and I will sometimes wear dress pants and and a nice blouse or in the summer a sundress or skirt and top. DD does the same thing.

I too don't think its the right setting for shorts, tanks etc. The dining area is a lovely elegant settting. However say you have a broken leg, wearing a cast and you can only wear shorts, then of course that is reasonably understood and accepted but even then you can dress up a short outfit nicely in that event. HAVE A GREAT TIME AND ENJOY YOURSELVES!!!!

We will be cruising the Glory next week and this will be our first cruise. I have started about packing and am wondering what is acceptable in the dining room on casual nights. We are fairly casual people so I don't want to stretch the word too far. Are jeans acceptable?

Yes, jeans are OK, but may be too warm dependingon where you are cruising. DH wore nice pressed dress shorts on the casual nights with a nice Tommy Bahama shirt on our last 2 cruises and he looked lots better than some of the men that had crummier looking cargo-type long pants and tshirts on.

Just off the Valor last week and the dress code is even more relaxed than I thought it would be. On normal nights I saw jeans, football jerseys (play-off season) and ALOT of shorts. Not beach shorts, but golf shorts or long cargo-type shorts. Most guys wore golf shirts.

For women I saw shorts, capris, jeans, and sundresses. Even the elegant nights were way more relaxed then I'd ever seen before. I didn't see any tuxedos (not saying there weren't any-I just didn't see any at our seating). Most men wore slacks, shirts, and ties but I did see some with just slacks and golf shirt. Women wore everything from long gowns to dressy capris and blouse. Hope this helps!

Since most folks seem to prefer casual these days, you probably will be ok in jeans. I agree that most men do wear dockers and golf shirts. Even the long shorts seem to be acceptable on casual nights now. Some folks do seem to try to underdress as much as possible.:rolleyes:

However, it's really according to how comfortable you will feel in a "formal atmosphere". The dining room is always lovely, formal, multiple place settings, etc. I, personally, could not wear jeans or shorts on any evening. Your call.

Enjoy your first cruise!:)

Just off the Triumph a few hpurs ago. I wore docker shorts with Caribbean shirts all week.

Others had on cargo shorts with ball caps(not many) and flip flops. For the most people were dressd with regular dockers and polos.

Didn't see any multiple place settings at our table.

Bill

Wow, I didn't know the dressing for dinner in the dining room has become so

"casual" now. I am confused a little...

Did Carnival change the nice dining room to a casual setting or is the casual dining meant to be dinner up in the buffet area?? I certainly don't want to over dress if things have changed.

I read one saying Ball Caps and flip flops were being worn? I am shocked!

I have always tried to teach my son hats are not to be worn in the dining rooms or at a dinner table period. That's how we were both raised (DH and I) and I see so many youngters these days not being taught that anymore:(.

Thanks ;)

I have always tried to teach my son hats are not to be worn in the dining rooms or at a dinner table period. That's how we were both raised (DH and I) and I see so many youngters these days not being taught that anymore:(.

That's how we were raised too, and I assure you, you would NEVER see my sons, in my presence, eating in a ball cap. In my world, it is either the ball cap or the food - take your pick!

I'm all for comfortable and casual, but there are times and places to wear things. There are some that don't see to honor this except on the most basic level, by bothering to wear clothes, and not just their PJ's (of course, bedroom slippers seem to be sneaking into people's waredrobes, so PJ's may not be that far away!)

Did Carnival change the nice dining room to a casual setting or is the casual dining meant to be dinner up in the buffet area??

No, the dining rooms are just as formal as they always have been, waiters all dressed up, cloth napkins, lots of silverware for the different courses, etc etc.

No, the dining rooms are just as formal as they always have been, waiters all dressed up, cloth napkins, lots of silverware for the different courses, etc etc.

Oh good!! Cause we love dining in that atmosphere! Don't get to do that too too on the every day living!

It's all right here:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

I know that I have dressed appropriately for dinner. If it was "Elegant night", I wore a nice dress, nothing fancy. On all other nights, I either wore a nice sundress or capri pants with a nice blouse.

This is my husband's first cruise. He wants to wear shorts. He does not want to get all dressed up. He will wear a nice pair of slacks and golf shirt for "Elegant night" because that is what he is comfortable with. He wants to be relaxed. We have chosen open seating and hope that it will just be the two of us.

I see no reason why jeans cannot be worn. I know that coming from the North, I will have them available (if needed) as I will be wearing them down for the flight.

we just completed a B2B on the Fantasy. we were in the Jubilee dining room. while we did notice things were more relaxed than in the past, the "dress code" WAS enforced by the maitre'd! We were seated close enough to the dining room entrance to watch. Ball caps were not allowed to be worn while in the dining room and those wearing them were either required to remove them or dine elsewhere. I also saw a guy barefooted turned away.

"elegant" night saw a lot of ties, but few jackets and many that did wear jackets had them hanging on the back of their chairs.

Just my observation...........

Wow, I didn't know the dressing for dinner in the dining room has become so

"casual" now. I am confused a little...

Did Carnival change the nice dining room to a casual setting or is the casual dining meant to be dinner up in the buffet area?? I certainly don't want to over dress if things have changed.

I read one saying Ball Caps and flip flops were being worn? I am shocked!

Thanks ;)

While those items are not permitted in the dining room, you'll see the "I'm on vacation and can do what I want" show up wearing crap anyway.

Cruising will never be the same now that the Clampetts are coming onboard.

OK this is the second time I've seen this referred to. Just getting off the Triumph less than 24 hours ago I can assure you that there was NOT lots of silverware.

We had 1 fork, 1 knife, 1 spoon, and a butter knife for the bread.

After one of the appetizers my wife left her fork on the plate thinking it would be replaced with another for the next course.

The waiter took the fork off of her plate and put it back down on the table. Our waiter was outstanding as he is a sr head waiter who turned down a job as asst Maitre'd.

The old CCL had all the silverware but haven't seen it in the last 2-3 cruises.

Bill

OK this is the second time I've seen this referred to. Just getting off the Triumph less than 24 hours ago I can assure you that there was NOT lots of silverware.

We had 1 fork, 1 knife, 1 spoon, and a butter knife for the bread.

After one of the appetizers my wife left her fork on the plate thinking it would be replaced with another for the next course.

The waiter took the fork off of her plate and put it back down on the table. Our waiter was outstanding as he is a sr head waiter who turned down a job as asst Maitre'd.

The old CCL had all the silverware but haven't seen it in the last 2-3 cruises.

Bill

I know when we took my Mom on Paradise for her 60th and it was her first cruise, that was one of the things they commented on was regarding all the silverware on the table. We are used to that and know what each is for, but to her and her husband it was so "new". I think all the silverware confused them! hahaha That was Dec 07 so maybe they have changed that in the dining room. Bummer.

We just got off the Miracle on Friday and I was amazed at how some young guys were dressed. Not only shorts and flip flops in the dining rooms, but ball caps worn backwards at the same time. All this while the maitre d' was making announcements that ball caps were not allowed in the dining room. :confused: I also saw an older couple wearing short shorts and tee shirts at the same table. On the other hand though, I saw quite a few gents wearing a tux on "cruise elegant" night and many others (including the guys in the ball caps) wearing nice suits. As always, there were a few that tried to push the limits, but they were definitely in the minority.

We just got off the Miracle on Friday and I was amazed at how some young guys were dressed. Not only shorts and flip flops in the dining rooms, but ball caps worn backwards at the same time. All this while the maitre d' was making announcements that ball caps were not allowed in the dining room. :confused: I also saw an older couple wearing short shorts and tee shirts at the same table. On the other hand though, I saw quite a few gents wearing a tux on "cruise elegant" night and many others (including the guys in the ball caps) wearing nice suits. As always, there were a few that tried to push the limits, but they were definitely in the minority.

Until CCL makes the decision that they are going to tell these people at the door that they do not meet the dress code (as most private fine dining restaurants do), and that dinner is available on the Lido deck for them, if they do not wish to remove their hat, change their clothes etc., it's not going to change.

Archived