question abbout tipping!!!

seabourndt

[quote name='MichellP']Just like it is for HAL, CCL, RCI, my cable company, my power company, my credit card company -- and so on. :) That whole "call 3 times for 3 different answers" thing? -- there's a version of it on every cruiseline board here, and on every consumer board on the web.[/QUOTE]
Well said MichellP. Thanks.

[quote name='Arwenmark']So yes if someone called and was simply told yes they will adjust it just ask and implied that it was not a required charge as a matter of policy then the person was wrong and I was right you have that correct.[/quote]

I have no idea what this means!

[quote name='AWinkler']G~Saying that "their" motives seem genuine is insinuating that you think some of the posters here are not. I can tell you that most of the people here are genuine and have no agenda. Believe what you will, but I will stand up for the one's I've come to know in a "cruise community" sense on these boards.[/quote]

AW, I didn't mean to suggest anything, but I can certainly see how you could read it that way.

I do, however, think the tipping-fanatics are too strident in their opinions and how they try to impose them on others, to the attempted exclusion of any other opinions. As you well know, that is my primary issue at the moment.

[quote name='G-Funk']AW, I didn't mean to suggest anything, but I can certainly see how you could read it that way.

I do, however, think the tipping-fanatics are too strident in their opinions and how they try to impose them on others, to the attempted exclusion of any other opinions. As you well know, that is my primary issue at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Well, G ~ How are the tipping-fanatics any different than you? You gotta respect the vigor involved, as you've demonstrated just as vehemently. As you know, there are people behind these policies. Let's just hope, one way or another, they're getting their fair share. ;)

[quote name='G-Funk']I do, however, think the tipping-fanatics are too strident in their opinions and how they try to impose them on others, to the attempted exclusion of any other opinions. As you well know, that is my primary issue at the moment.[/quote]

I agree with your thinking on the subject - but also know it is better not to open a can of worms or get involved. Walk the other way is best on this subject.

I think it is easier to ignore it all, and just do what you believe is correct no matter what anyone tells you. You are not going to change their minds, they are not going to change yours. When a subject line which includes the word "tipping" it always goes in the same direction, you don't have to read it...so very similar to what you know the outsome will be if you see "smoking" in the suibject.

Howard

[quote name='Arwenmark']The only thing that proves is that the agent does not know the company policy and insidecabins quote off the website is completely consistent with what I posted off the NCL.com website. It says they will be added to your account and are subject to your discretion, and that limitations apply.
[/QUOTE]

My reading of the section of US NCL T&Cs(rather than the notes in the FAQ which are not part of the T&C's, but do imply stricker conditions than actually apply in the T&C's and are similar in the UK FAQ) is that the service charge is at your discretion and that the "Other restrictions apply" are unrelated to the service charges.
It seems you can only get the full T&C's for US bookings by asking, they do not seem to be on the web site anywhere.

This is consistant with the UK T&C's which are complete and have no other restrictions on the service charges, they are at your discretion.

I suspect that NCL cannot make them compulsory in the UK T&C's and not include them in the cruise fares, since this would probably be against UK regulations on pricing.

It has got to the point that it would be easier for everyone if they were just included and that any service issues just get addressed on the shp at the time with a public policy perhaps OBC or other compensation such as drinks,dining etc. which is currently a common way to compensate for service issues(as well as fixing the problem).

Interesting to note that at todays exchange rate UK prepaid service charges are $9.40(£6.50)

"It has got to the point that it would be easier for everyone if they were just included"

It would seem that that is already the case, it's just not included in the fare, per se.

Everyone who cruises knows that tipping is part of the experience. We all started out, way back when, with a little stack of envelopes and suggestions on what to tip. Who knows if most folks followed those guidelines or not....I suspect not. Hence, it is now added to your account onboard. Even when they started doing this, you still had the option of asking for envelopes and tipping that way. (at least on RCI and Carnival)

I just wonder if they included it in the fares, if it would somehow get "lost" and the staff would suffer?

The whole process is frustrating...even in "at home restaurants". My kids are servers in nice restaurants and their hourly rate is $2.30 which all goes in taxes and they rarely, if ever, get an actual pay check. Then they have to turn around and tip the bar tender a portion of their tips.

Tips are where it's at. It may not seem fare that we are paying wages with our tips, but that is the system that is in place. ;)

This is a bit OT, but am I correct in remembering that on my 2004 Carnival Paradise cruise, I could swear we paid our gratuities in a "service charge" type way. I think it was $7.50 per person per day and I "thought" it was added to our OBC. The Maitre de received his tip on the last night of the cruise and an envelope was provided.

This was my first cruise, so I really didn't pay attention to how procedures went.

The reason I ask is I thought I've read that Carnival has a different tipping policy than NCL.

I agree with your thinking on the subject - but also know it is better not to open a can of worms or get involved. Walk the other way is best on this subject.

I think it is easier to ignore it all, and just do what you believe is correct no matter what anyone tells you. You are not going to change their minds, they are not going to change yours. When a subject line which includes the word "tipping" it always goes in the same direction, you don't have to read it...so very similar to what you know the outsome will be if you see "smoking" in the suibject.

Howard

Thanks Howard - I realized once I got into it that this was the case, and I have no problem doing what I consider to be the right thing and am not unduly influenced by others. I was just bothered by how others were treated as soon as they asked about the subject, but I guess that is what happened before and will continue to happen in the future.

I appreciate your advice.

Just a side note... if someone really does reduce the service charge it would make sense to make sure you don't leave anyone any additional tips durring your cruise, since its been pointed out that they have to be turned in to the pool.

At that point, if you leave someone $5 for excellent service they will get less than 1 cent.

Just a side note... if someone really does reduce the service charge it would make sense to make sure you don't leave anyone any additional tips durring your cruise, since its been pointed out that they have to be turned in to the pool.

At that point, if you leave someone $5 for excellent service they will get less than 1 cent.

I'm pretty sure people who are not in the tip pool can keep them. Keep in mind though most crew passengers use are in the tip pool.

AND?? $.01 is better than nothin'!

AND?? $.01 is better than nothin'!

Really? Leave a 1 cent tip sometime and see if they think its better than nothing. :D

I was just saying, its really impossible to "tip" if you adjust your service charges... unless of course you really do want to reward them with a penny (it would actually take closer to a $8-$10 tip to get them a penny).

I will have a hard time paying $72 a day on tips!!! I am going with my dh and 4 young children as part of a family reunion cruise. It is a once and a lifetime event for us and it is a huge expense for us. I was more than willing to pay the $40 a day charge that we were expected to, but it is absurd to think we have it in our budget to pay this extra fee.

You know, I've been thinking about this and I never thought I'd say this. But I think that this poster should go to the desk and have their tips adjusted. Not removed, adjusted.

Yes, I realize that the auto gratuity is not part of the contract and NCL can raise the gratuity at any time. However, I know that if I were booking a cruise, I would see what the expenses were at the time and it probably wouldn't occur to me that the auto gratuity might increase drastically. And yes, going from $40 per day gratuity to $72 dollars a day is drastic IMO. That's $224 extra for the weeks cruise.

So, for the first time ever, I would suggest that this person go to the desk and tell them they want their gratuity adjusted. Explain the situation and the huge increase that they were not expecting. Adjust the tips down to what they were previously....$40 per day.

Okay, I'm putting on my protective flame suit now! :D

CG

Really? Leave a 1 cent tip sometime and see if they think its better than nothing. :D

LOL.. I feel ya.. but think of it this way. If a crew member collects $599.99, that penny makes all the difference!:cool:

I've been waiting to see if this idea would pop up! :D And I agree.

Many may disagree, but it seems that the stated policy at the time of booking is what should be used for those who booked (unless the cost goes goes down-of course). Just seems the only way that those of us who must budget to vacation, can plan what our cost is going to be.

You know, I've been thinking about this and I never thought I'd say this. But I think that this poster should go to the desk and have their tips adjusted. Not removed, adjusted.

Yes, I realize that the auto gratuity is not part of the contract and NCL can raise the gratuity at any time. However, I know that if I were booking a cruise, I would see what the expenses were at the time and it probably wouldn't occur to me that the auto gratuity might increase drastically. And yes, going from $40 per day gratuity to $72 dollars a day is drastic IMO. That's $224 extra for the weeks cruise.

So, for the first time ever, I would suggest that this person go to the desk and tell them they want their gratuity adjusted. Explain the situation and the huge increase that they were not expecting. Adjust the tips down to what they were previously....$40 per day.

CG

CG

Works for me ;) An original deal is an original deal.

The OP should not feel bad about paying what she agreed to .

CG

I got your back, CG.. As you can see in my post #127. ;)

LOL.. I feel ya.. but think of it this way. If a crew member collects $599.99, that penny makes all the difference!:cool:

If it happened to me, that lousy penny would probably bump me into a higher tax bracket and cost me $50 ;)

I'm just sometimes lucky that way :D

CG

No flames from me! I think it's a very resonable idea. ;)

CG

All the people on cruises that booked at the same time as you and prepaid their Service charges won't be paying the extra when they cruise why should you.

Archived