Snorkel Comparison

nanaknees

Carnival is offering snorkel excursions at different ports, and I was hoping to get some input as to which might be the best to do. DH and I are 55 and 60 and in good shape but have never snorkeled before. We are booked for Sept. of this year. I posted this on the Hawaii board and it was suggested for me to post on this board. I also had a couple suggestions to check out the Fairwind, but I'm not sure we could take that excursion since we will be on the Carnival Spirit. Anyone know?

Maui - Snorkel Adventure onboard the M/V Prince Kuhio and goes out to one of the sites along West Maui's coastline.

Kona - Captain Zodiac's Snorkel Adventure which goes to Kealakekua Bay.

Kauai - Seafun Shore Snorkel which goes to a beach and says it is good for beginners and experts.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Cindy

• 6 months later...

Snorkeling is excellent in Hawaii. I would skip the Maui trip as that is probably offshore.

Cap't Zodiac would be my choice. The boat trip is great fun although it can be bumpy. They did a wonderful job when we went many years ago. (our first time snorkeling). Highly recommended.

The Kauai trip if it goes to Princeville/Hanalei area would probably good if you did want the boat experience. Very safe and excellent

• 2 weeks later...
Carnival is offering snorkel excursions at different ports, and I was hoping to get some input as to which might be the best to do. DH and I are 55 and 60 and in good shape but have never snorkeled before. We are booked for Sept. of this year. I posted this on the Hawaii board and it was suggested for me to post on this board. I also had a couple suggestions to check out the Fairwind, but I'm not sure we could take that excursion since we will be on the Carnival Spirit. Anyone know?

Maui - Snorkel Adventure onboard the M/V Prince Kuhio and goes out to one of the sites along West Maui's coastline.

Kona - Captain Zodiac's Snorkel Adventure which goes to Kealakekua Bay.

Kauai - Seafun Shore Snorkel which goes to a beach and says it is good for beginners and experts.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Cindy

I don't have personal experience with these trips but the ones that say they are good for beginners usually are. If you wear glasses make sure they offer RX masks. These make a great deal of difference. I am going to buy my own since the trips in the Caribbean don't seem to offer them. The water will be cold, no matter what time of year.

Kona - Kealakakua Bay is the best if you haven't snorkled before. It's a small protected cove, therefore is very quiet. If you have a back problem, zodiac would be a killer, though. Then I'd choose the Maui trip to be nice to my back. By the way Hawaiian waters are much cooler than Caribbean. Plan on wearing an old tee shirt and leggings for warmth and proctection from sun. You can invest in a lycra bodysuit or a light wetsuit later if you get serious about snorkeling.

Archived