Lamanai and Tipping

herbert_snellfrockie

I read one the comments here that suggested a $10 or $20 tip, per person for the bus driver, boat operator and guide. So for my wife and me, that would be an extra $60 to $120 expense for what is to us, an already expensive excursion! I certainly don't want to seem cheap, and I don't want to be discouraging to our guests who operate the excursion, but is this amount expected?

I read one the comments here that suggested a $10 or $20 tip, per person for the bus driver, boat operator and guide. So for my wife and me, that would be an extra $60 to $120 expense for what is to us, an already expensive excursion! I certainly don't want to seem cheap, and I don't want to be discouraging to our guests who operate the excursion, but is this amount expected?

I actually don't have a clue myself as to the "proper" amount to tip (ther'es been so much discussion about that & everyone seems to have a different perspective) but I think the $10-20/person was for the guide. I saw others recommending a much lesser amount for the bus driver, etc. Really, I don't know but I know we won't be tipping $20 for all 3 of those people per person ... we have 6 in our family!

for our NCL excursions to lamanai, total amount for 2 of us:

tour guide: $20 she was excellent

bus driver: $5

and boat driver $5

we had an extra guy along, he acted as our "protector"..helping people climb the tall site..being extra careful to help people over rough areas. we tipped him a couple of dollars, the person he helped climb the site gave him much more.

$32 total!

for our NCL excursions to lamanai, total amount for 2 of us:

tour guide: $20 she was excellent

bus driver: $5

and boat driver $5

we had an extra guy along, he acted as our "protector"..helping people climb the tall site..being extra careful to help people over rough areas. we tipped him a couple of dollars, the person he helped climb the site gave him much more.

$32 total!

So I assume they gladly accept American dollars .. or do we convert our money before the tour?

Archived