Bring my own mug tip and soda card??

mn-cruiser

It depends on the server you ask. If you get someone that will only give you one glass at a time, as the rules are stated when you purchase the drink card, just dump it into the mug and get another one. My friend did this on our Transatlantic cruise. After getting to know some of the servers and doing this a time or two, some of the servers eventually just filled the mug for him, some would not. It's the luck of the draw. Just smile and get another glass. A couple times they made him go to another bar to get the second glass of soda. Like I said, it just depends on which server you ask.

Ok if I use the tip on brining my own mug so I don't have to refill as often will I have any issues with getting it filled if I have a fountain card? Or do they give you a hard time and only fill the small glasses? :confused:

Hand the bartender, not the waiter, your mug, soda card, AND a dollar. There will be no problem. At least when I hand him my mug, S&S and a buck, there is never a problem. But I don't buy the soda cards.

Dan

I would think the reason for not refilling your mug is because it may not be sanitary. This isn't to say you don't wash it out but especially if you're refilling your mug I can't say I would want an "unclean" glass behind the bar. I'd would just dump in the refills myself, and that way you can exclude most of the ice.

I would think the reason for not refilling your mug is because it may not be sanitary. This isn't to say you don't wash it out but especially if you're refilling your mug I can't say I would want an "unclean" glass behind the bar. I'd would just dump in the refills myself, and that way you can exclude most of the ice.

Some of us like a lot of ice and do not worry if 2 tenths of an ounce of soda is displaced by some ice. And thru the course of the day, THOUSANDS or at least hundreds of "dirty" glasses end up behind the bar. To be refilled OR to be washed.

Dan

I wasn't ever able to get anyone to do it, tip or no tip, and did the "order a glass, walk away, dump it and order another one" all week. It was kind of a pain. Next cruise I just spent the $5 on the insulated Carnival mug and they fill that one up. The $5 isn't much more than you'd spend on one anyway, and it's totally worth it to em for the least amount of hassle on my vacation.

I was searching for the insulated Bubba Kegs that I read so much about on this site. I went to their web site and they ran about $15. each with shipping. On E-bay they were a little cheaper, about $13.00 a piece. I went to Wal-Mart on Saturday and found the there. They were $2.25 !!!

Needless to say I bought every one they had and I am selling them on E-Bay for a quick flip.

Gotta love wally world.

Some of us like a lot of ice and do not worry if 2 tenths of an ounce of soda is displaced by some ice. And thru the course of the day, THOUSANDS or at least hundreds of "dirty" glasses end up behind the bar. To be refilled OR to be washed.

Dan

It's the refilling that's the problem - the other dirty glasses should be washed & sanitized before they are refilled. At least from my background in restaurants - you should never refill a "used" item since the chance is there for the serving implement or ice scoop to touch the used item which then spreads germs back to the ice bin, and then on to others. That's also why a buffet or salad bar requires you to get a new plate for each trip.

Now whether or not they actually will refill a cup or not is another concern, but it really shouldn't be done from a sanitation standpoint.

And yes, I also cringe every time I see an ice scoop dropped into the ice bin - it should always be stored elsewhere so the the handle doesn't contact the ice. :eek:

I'm actually far from a germ freak except when it comes to food safety - I guess I had it beaten into me in my restaurant days! :o:p

Archived